3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Durable heavy # bows, heavy hitters pls comment?  (Read 386 times)

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
Durable heavy # bows, heavy hitters pls comment?
« on: April 17, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Can't get em to last so want to gauge your all opinion and compile a list of heavier 70#-90# recurve or long TAKEDOWN bows that u beleive are real durable. Heavy hitters please advise me what u have that lasts the course of treatment u put on them. Extra points for description of feel or performance.
Cheers
divecon

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Durable heavy # bows, heavy hitters pls comment?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
What's yer drawlength?
After reading your other thread I think that the strength of the limbs is possibly outweighing the strength of the take down systems available.

If you're drawing 29 or less, you may want to think about a 60" 1-piece bow. Yes, I know the shipping to Oz is a bugger (I had the same issue before I moved here from England) but a 1-piece of less than 62" really isn't a problem to fly with & it's under the maximum shipping length for the post.

M'self, I used to shoot a Pronghorn 1-piece. 60" & 86# at my draw. Man, I battered & abused the heck out of that thing. I used to shoot several hundred arrows a week & many 3-D & field tournaments of 3 shots at 40 targets with no problem at all. It's still going strong now, 4 years later. It was 3 years old when I bought it.

You can occasionally find one used for around the $350-$500 (US) mark. If you buy new, Herb Meland is an awesome guy to deal with.

Performace wise IT was certanly up there witthe best of 'em. I don't have figures because I never chrono'd it, but shooting a pine shaft with a 125gn point, I didn't have to aim any differently from 15 to 40 meters. It was really smooth out o 29", but stacked a bit at my 30" draw. I really should've had a 62 or 64"
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
28-28.5
Cool, pronghorn, check. Ta m8
divecon

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
I have an 83# Schafer Silvertip take-down recurve. Some bowyers have a lot more experience than others in making heavy bows, and Schafer and Black Widow are two of them that make take-down recurves. Howard Hill also make a lot of heavy longbows, but I think their limit for their take-down is 70# or 75# (I could be wrong on that). These three companies make a bomb-proof bow.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
Good point on the Silvertips Ben. Really top-shelf bows.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
Goodo the silvertip Ben! Checked BW and Hill yesterday. Cheers.
divecon

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
BW
Brackenbury
Dakota
  I have owned and shot all 3 bows that were 75# +   bomb proof IMHO.  Plus if you blow one up they will take it back and find out why?????  Also owned a 125# Tomahawk.  Wish I still had it/Very smooth but it did wear on me after 20 shots.

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 12:40:00 AM »
Dakota & Tomahawk a Jake? Ta. That 125#’s a fist full!
divecon

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 06:18:00 AM »
Divecon- what is your draw length and desired bow length?

Bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 06:27:00 AM »
ive had 80#+ pound ballistiks, salukis, howard hills, john schulz, black widows, martins, bears, sentmans, leon stewarts, robertsons, lightnings, harrisons, saxons, brownings, elburgs, 21st century, fedoras, great northerns and im sure im leaving some out.  they all held together pretty well!
ps...the 88# saluki ibex and the 82# and 90# ballistiks  AND the 80# harrison el lobo are still on the rack!   ;)
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
Border can do it as well. They reinforce their risers with several lams of carbon etc.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
Divcon,

I had a Bear Custom Kodiak TD with 70# limbs that drew 82# at my draw.  I was in my early 30's when I bought it specifically to bear hunt with it. I shot woodies with 160gr Snuffers purchased from Roger Rothhaar when he was still selling them. The arrows weighted in at 700+ grains, and shot through everything.  This was the bow Fred Bear designed to take to Africa and shoot the big beasties.... of course his drew a bit heavier. I had it for more than 25 years and never a problem with it. It was a great bow.
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
A Hill is my choice for high pound bows.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
28-28.5 Big Jim. As to bow length am not fully conversant, so am gauging on what I am able to try. with long bows. Until I get better acquainted guessing anywhere 62-66”
As Justin may be aware I am only just learning about long bows proper an finding it fascinating. Fortunately I am getting very good advice with this which helps no end. Ta that info too, lots to think about.
Border, check, Curveman
Here I was overly concerned that I may have been extending my draw ½ an inch and stressing my bows. Duly noted Lobo
divecon

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
I have only owned two bows in last 19 years and both were 70+ lbs.  After 17 years shooting a 72 lb. Bear Take down it finally broke in half in my palm at full draw.
I have since owned a 71@31 Black Widow with no durability issues.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
I have a Pittsley Predator that is built for 68@28, but I draw it to 29 1/2".

Been pounding arrows out of it for over a decade as of March. I had two sets of limbs for it, and sold one set this past fall. Both sets have a million miles.

Besides a 60lb Martin Lynx recurve for bowfishing, it`s the only bow I shoot.

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
For what it's worth I'll say I've been shooting a Bighorn t/d recurve 70# @28 drawing 29.5" bout 75#s. Had it made in the mid 90's This bow has been thru hell and back with hundreds of thousands of arrows thru her with no problems at all. She fell of a mtn in NM and drowned in a fell mishaps wile crossing rivers  "[dntthnk]"  Smooth fast & quiet she my goto bow.Heavly battered & scared but I'd grap her and jump on a plane with her tomorrow.IMHO a fine durable bow.
Jeff Couture

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
Mike Fedora built bows for his brother who for years shot around the 100# mark in and out of tournaments. His tackle is bullet proof and he makes a great takedown as well as 1 pc bows. Check it out.

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
Bjorn beat me to the punch - Mike Fedora is a master bowyer and has a ton of experience building heavy weight bows.  You won't be disappointed!

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
Great Northern Critter Getter 74# @28 62AMO, just flings them dead straight, shooting cedars from it. Belongs to my fatherinlaw and he's had it a good while. He has several 90-100# Schaefer Silvertips, zero issues. Main issue is stringing them!
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©