3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ever meet a hunter where ya just say WOW and are amazed???  (Read 664 times)

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ever meet a hunter where ya just say WOW and are amazed???
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
Wow, what a priceless friend!  I have a friend simular to that.  I had the pleasure to become friends with Warren Womack, a local legend here in south Louisiana.  Warren is only 65 but he has killed around 200 deer with a trad bow and some with a compound and some with a rifle to a total of over 350 documented deer kills, and he is still going strong.  Every time I'm around him I learn something.  It's like finding a pot of gold to listen to these "older" guys talk. I have the utmost respect for those guys.  Thanks for sharing the story of Ed and for the picture.
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
i can't believe i forgot what bow he was shooting but i will find out! i had a million questions and he took his time to answer all. i would love to ask him to become a Tradganger but i do not think it is the right thing to do as he had said he does not the internet much and does not emailing. HOWEVER for the sake of all the people i know would love to hear from him i will give it the ole colloge ( NEVER WENT) try and see if he would bless us with his stories. i still have a kazillion questions for him and will try to get in contact. i feel that we have only scrathced the surface of his stiries and hunts!!!!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Ken,
Ed was shooting a Palmer- very well I might add.
I never did find out how he always got his arrows to bounce back to the road, but it was sure a sight to see.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
That's a great story/day/experience. Don't pressure him,but encourage him.....he couls be like Jerry telling stories about howard.

He could have many stories to share....maybe you guys could take some notes and share them...just a thought.

Jer Bear

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
Some friends are more precious than any possession.

Ken you area lucky man   :thumbsup:  

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
that was the first time i had ever met Ed, would love to be able to call him a friend but in my book friendship is earned so i hope to shoot with him a little more, listen to more stories and would love to share a hunt if ever possible! i'll tell ya a couple small things that i thought were neat. one time when everyone was retreving arrows i had walked back to the trail first and was watching. i noticed a small red spot by a tree, well it was auctually a bow with a little red material on the shelf that stood right out. it was Ed's bow. when he walked back i said man i saw your bow from way back here with the red on the shelf. Ed said "yup" never lost it yet!!! the man has spent some time in the woods with his bow!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
another thing was his arrows. a whole lot of pink and white with a HUGE plunger like rubber blunt on the end. when i first saw them i just smiled. well after the first round of shots when we went to pick up arrows it was allways obvious which arrow was Ed's, everyone knew his aroows from the first shot. if his arrow didn't whack the intended stup (%99.9) it was close by as the rubber blunt allways kept it in sight. when i asked him about the pink arrows he said " never lost one yet!". i will also say (ask Ron W ) that the big rubber blunt caused a whole lot of dameage to stumps and other peoples arrows!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
Ken, Sounds like a priceless experience.  I am happy for you and hope someday you will share some of his stories with me.  Unless of course you want to introduce me   :rolleyes:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
i do know that Ed and Dan (crotch horn) shoot at Gander Mountain alot. how about a road trip for a shoot Charlie???

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
I had to do arrow repair this afternoon, but all is well again. Gotta get some of them toilet plungers Ed had on the end of his arra's........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
I'm game prolly after May though. You are referring to the one in Utica?  I think Kinston's indoor range is very limited.

Sounds like Ron needs some Duct tape. Toilet plungers are about 3 bucks at wally world! LOL
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
Ron had shot and hit a stump but his arrow flipped and was laying side ways in front of the stump, a couple people shot and missed and then ole Ed stepped up with the toilet plunger, THAAWACK and you just knew Rons arra was put down like a sick cat at the vet's!!!!!!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Ron sounds like you'll need your arrows back!   :campfire:  

I'll bring em out tomorrow as long as I get out of work on time.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
I was shoot'n cedars, they don't hold up to sideways hits as well as carbons.But they are nicer look'n....lol!!!If any one was to wreck my arra's I'm glad it was ED!!!!!!!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
Sit back and take a swig of coffee, this is gonna take a while. I am Crotch Horn on Tradgang and I brought Ed to the stump shoot. Like I told Ken prior to the shoot Ed is the nicest guy you will ever meet. I met him on January 2, 2007. I joined a trad leauge to practice shooting over the off season and could not get into a compound league because of work. I had not shot trad gear for over 20 years. The first night I was hooked and might as well have thrown away my Bowtech that day. Most of the guys had been shooting together for a while so lots of busting going on while people were shooting. After a couple of weeks one of the guys came over and asked if I had met Ed yet? I said no. He said well, if he ever tells you any of his stories enjoy them, and oh yah, they are all true. Well, I was terrible so I would go to the range to practice on my days off. Ed would always be there shooting. After a couple of times Ed started giving me advice. I started to improve SLOWLY!!! I started going when I knew he would be there. He didn't think much of me at first but I grew on him. With his advice I won most improved first half to second half for the league. He and some of the others went to N. D. to hunt for a couple of years and were making plans for the fall. I said I wish I could go. He invited me and I ended up going. GREAT HUNT. Before we left I made my first trad kill here in NY. One of the things Ed told me was you never shoot at the same animal more than 3 times. So in comes the bear. Stops at ten yards and I shoot right under his belly. The bear runs 20 yards and comes back. 12 yards away and I draw and tell myself "don't shoot low" Whack, 6" over his back. The bear takes off. I was kicking my self when I see the bear turn around and start coming back. As I drew the arrow back the only thing going through my head was "DON'T MISS THIS IS YOUR THIRD ARROW. LAST CHANCE VIA ED'S RULES" 17 yards walking and right through the heart & lungs. I could not wait to tell Ed. I lost my Dad in 2005. He was only 61 and I miss him daily, but having Ed come into my life has been a blessing. Sometimes I find myself distancing myself from ED because I can't stand the thought of losing him. It will be just as hard as losing my real dad. ED you are so special to not only me but to everyone you meet. Not everyone may understand you, but never feel like you wasted a day of your life. You mean a lot to many people. The fact that this thread is on here speaks volumes to who you are. Love you Ed.
I can never thank you enough.
Dan

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »
wow, well said dan. Ed has just waaaaaay to more stiries and knowledge not to get more out of him, now how do we go about doing this???? any chance at all ya can talk him in to joining Tradgang? i would set everything up for him if need be. let me know when you want to do some stumping again, i can come up your way or i can show ya more area up here.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
Ed knows how to sign up.... he just chooses not to. By nature I think he just doesn't put himself out there. He wants to do what he wants to do (in a good way). I am sure if he has read this he is very taken back by it. We will see about more stump shooting and what ever else. He does a lot of fishing on the coast with one of his buddies and busy with family stuff. Time will tell. On behalf of Ed, thanks for all the kind words.

Offline stcif

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
Hello everyone.  I've been a member here a couple years but I'm making this my first post, and for good reason.  I knew this thread existed as I read it a while ago.  I needed Dan's (crotch horn's) help finding it.  I'm replying to this as a thank you to Ed, who I am proud to be related to.  A few years ago Ed starting teaching me traditional archery.  I have been shooting a compound for over 20 years, but now I have decided to make the switch, for so many reasons.  I am hoping to hunt traditional this fall.  I have learned more from Ed just talking, spending time at the range, and in his shop, the past three years than I could have over a lifetime reading, watching videos, and just practicing on my own.  I find shooting my recurve a lot more fun than a compound.  The whole process, from making arrows, to just about everything.  So Ed if you see this post, thank you for everything!  By the way, Stacey (nystateland)is helping me build a long bow. Can't wait to show you and go shooting with you guys soon!  As for Ed's stories, I never get tired of listening to them.  Stories are part of why we hunt, why we shoot, why we do anything we love.  I'm thinking my bow is going to need some sort of inscription on it naming three important people in my life.  My father, who taught me to hunt.  My uncle who first taught me archery, and Ed, who took me under his wing and taught me traditional archery. Thanks again Ed!

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:    :clapper:  Great stuff!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
I am in awe of men like Ed.

They should be considered "Traditional Treasures" and like most things that are of great value, they are rare!

Thanks for sharing.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©