3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: weight reduction?  (Read 223 times)

Offline kruked arra

• Trad Bowhunter
weight reduction?
« on: April 18, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
need to have some weight taken off a 3pc long bow ...any suggestions on who to use
"the good stuff"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: weight reduction?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
If you can send it back to the original bowyer that is maybe best. If not there is the 'bow hospital'-a sponsor here.......they can help you out.

Offline Rodd Szmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
The question is how much weight?

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
Give Whip a call at the Bow Hosp, he'll fix it right up.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
I have had a couple done[3] by the original bowyer. They took 4-6 pounds off. It depends on the bow and how much they have to work with. When laid up if they hit the target poundage right on there is most likely more to work with . If they had to bring it to poundage, less. Give Whip a call at the bow Hospital he can steer you in the direction.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
If the original bowyer is still around and willing to do the work that is always a good first phone call.  He should have records of exactly what went into the bow initially, and whether any weight was taken off when it was built.  I need to be conservative when taking weight off, because I don't normally have that information.

Generally speaking, 10% of the original weight of the bow can be safely taken off.  But that does vary some, so never know until I start working it.  How much are you hoping to reduce the weight by?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline kruked arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
i was thinkin to try an get 5-6 lbs .....dont know if i should just move on to another bow or mess with this one? (its not my go to bow)           thanks for the help
"the good stuff"

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
I would definitely listen to "Whip". That is some good advice. If you decide to use "Whip", rest assured he'll do a great job. By the way, the only time I have had weight reduced on a bow it appeared to perform better (actually seemed faster) after the weight reduction. I have had others tell me the same thing.

Offline kruked arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
is it worth all the trouble or should you just get the right #bow
"the good stuff"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
What I usually tell people is that if it just a bow that doesn't have any particular meaning or attachement for you, then simply selling it and buying another in the desired weight is the way to go.  Weight reduction requires refinishing, and by the time your done you have invested another $150 into the bow.

If the bow is in rough shape and needs a facelift anyway, then the weight reduction starts making more sense.  And of course if the bow has a history with you, like it took your first deer, was received as a gift, etc, etc, then it really may have some personal attachment that makes a weight reduction a good investment.  

As far as a bow actually performing better after a reduction, I have heard that a number of times.  I think it can be attributed to the fact that when you shoot a lighter weight bow often times you can end up drawing the bow all the way back and use good form and back tension.  With a bow that is too heavy, most people tend to "short draw" and that can cause all kinds of problems.  

In other words, many people who are overbowed actually are pulling less weight than the bow is marked at.  Say 60# @ 28", but if in reality the shot is going off when you reach 26" of draw you are really only shooting 54# anyway.  Now when the weight is reduced to 54# @ 28" and you actually pull the bow all the way back to 28", I think it is very realistic that your shooting will improve.  The bow isn't performing better at a lower weight, rather, the arrow is being loosed at a full 28", and the longer power stroke will increase performance.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
I fully agree with "Whip". Increased draw length, better form, and longer power stroke should lend itself to better accuracy and performance. These are all advantages of shooting bows that are properly tuned for your needs.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
3pc?...maybe trade for new limbs the correct weight?
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline kruked arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
talked to the bowyer, 100$ plus shippin to reduce..400$ for new limbs. thanks for your help.
"the good stuff"

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
Whip has is right RE draw length/draw weight.  Coming to full draw with a bow weight you can handle comfortably is a heck of a lot more efficient and fun than when you are over-bowed!  

Kris

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
joe tells it like it is - good, solid, sane advice for all us folk to take a listen and follow.

:thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©