3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Target for broadheads & field points  (Read 341 times)

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
Target for broadheads & field points
« on: April 19, 2010, 01:34:00 AM »
So, I want to compare shooting broadheads to field points. I only have a Yellow Jacket field point target. Amy suggestions for a decent target?

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Target for broadheads & field points
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:49:00 AM »
I have shot em all and broadheads have the same effect on all of em. I usually get the cheapest layered foam target i can find.. I found one at BPS for 40 bucks you
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Rodd Szmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
Rinehart 18 is best in my opinion

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
Reinhart 18-1, FP no damage at all, self seals, easy arrow pull. 2 blade BH same as above. Haven't used 3 blades..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
Three blades are good in the Rinehart.  I like the larger over the 18-1.  Only reason I know that is because my archery club has them.  I haven't worn mine out about a bout 4 years and I shoot a lot of BH's.  Although a portion of my abuse is handled by the club.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
Rinehart makes a badA target for sure, I am too cheap for there 18-1, but I have there little ball!!  I love it!  I also have a glendel full rut that takes one heck of a beating.  Mine is going on 4 years now, the insert doesnt look to good, the outside foam covering is just starting to crumble away, but it doesnt affect the way it takes arrows!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
3 straw bales stacked on top of each other, might cost $20 and will take more shots that you can imagine.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
For Broadheads, I use the styrofoam Wally World target.  I drag it out and shoot only broadheads with the occasional field point to check the point of impact.  Then I put it back up and shoot field tips at a bag target.  NOTE:  When checking point of impact with broadheads and field tips, shoot the BROADHEAD first.  It's much cheaper that way.  Bill

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
You might want to look at the Rinehart Rhino Block and Rhino Brute targets.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
cut cardboard into 7 inch strips. The longer the strips the better, you may even want to duct tape several strips togather.Start rolling the cardboard strips into a wheel shape. You want to roll the card board as tight as you can. hammer small nails into the cardboard to hold the end of the strip down. keep adding card board strips to your wheel until it becomes nice and big. I like a 24 inch diameter on my target. Take a ratchet strap and put around the outside of the target. Tighten the strap good and tight. You can either paint the bullseye or you can use a bullseye target to glue onto the front of your cardboard target. I recomend cutting another piece of cardboard with the same measurements as the diameter of your target. Glue these to the front and back of your round target. There you have it a nice target that can be placed on an easle or propped up in front of a back stop. Total cost ? whatever you pay for scrap cardboard. I get mine free. These directions came from an old popular mechanics article that was written sometime in the 50's. I bought the article off of e**y
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Skinner:
NOTE:  When checking point of impact with broadheads and field tips, shoot the BROADHEAD first.  It's much cheaper that way.  Bill
:biglaugh:
Never tried a rinehart. Every target I've shot BH's into has just had chunks get cut out of it. Does the rinehart really truly heal up somehow? Or you end up cutting chunks out of it too?
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Nighthawk...
Sounds interesting. Does the center want to "slide" out pretty soon?
I've thought about asking the local grocery store if I could take some of their pressed and strapped cardboard bundles off there hands just to try.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline string bean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
The 18-1 is a great target and if you're going to be shooting a lot of broadheads into it be sure to save your reciept and the little red tag on it for warranty claims.  Yes Zradix you'll start to get chunks out of the Rinehart also.
It's not about the kill but the experience.

Omega Royal Huntsman
Crowned Eagle
Black Hunter
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Thanks string bean

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
May have to try me an 18-1 target.my 10 year old ate up my block target
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
Me too. Sounds like a winner.  :)

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 12:45:00 AM »
i have a buckmasters 4 side square target got at wallyworld awhile back. takes a pretty good beating, even after hundreds of shots in the same area its still shootable. stops arrows well, even outta my xbow. cost about 40$ i think. only thing i dont like is the staples that hold the plastic trim on, but for a budget target it was worth it.
Richard

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »
read somewhere awhile back about targets made out of blown foam insulation too, wondered if great stuff foam would work but might be expensive to make it big enough.
Richard

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 01:16:00 AM »
I would try the Walmart target. But in Kalifornia, our wally world doesn't sell archery stuff.

Offline Fishycatfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 01:19:00 AM »
I like a big ol' piece of foam, I usually get it after a good storm on the bank of the lake.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©