3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who is using their iphone as a GPS  (Read 324 times)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Who is using their iphone as a GPS
« on: April 21, 2010, 12:38:00 AM »
What maps and positioning software are you using. How do you like it-user friendly etc?
Any comments are welcome.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who is using their iphone as a GPS
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:56:00 AM »
What's an iphone?
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline sj_lutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
Well, not an i-Phone, but I do use my Blackberry as a GPS.  

Google maps works pretty well, gives you the option of a roadmap, terrain, or satellite views.  I use that and a program called Blackstar, which gives you the traditional GPS type waypoint and compass stuff.  

I'd bet that Google has an iPhone friendly version, not so sure about Blackstar.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
Does it work without cell coverage?

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
I use my palm now in place of my car unit, but on foot I plan to use my hand held.  I don't need cell coverage for that, and battery life is better plus I can change out the batteries if I can't plug in.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Blackhawk7204

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
Try the MotionX-gps app, it's awsome! It does everything a gps and a compass does plus can take photos of your waypoints as well as email your position or any waypoint along with a message to any email or phone.
The email will even include a link to maps with your position marked on it.
The iphone is not waterproof but they do make watertight cases for it.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Earthdog:
What's an iphone?
Something you look out of?
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
"Try the MotionX-gps app, it's awsome!"

Thanks Blackhawk, that's the stuff I was looking for!

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
just read an article in Outdoor life about this very topic, I dont know if I could trust it??  But then again I dont really put my ability to not get lost in the hands of electronics!lol
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
I use mine for short trips.  The battery use is way too high to trust the thing on any trip of more than a couple hours.  

I've used Gaia GPS, but it's very kluzty to get around in.  WIll have to take a look at Motion-X.

Backups are great, but y'all that don't trust electronics climb behind the wheel of a car or truck every time you go hunting...
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
I dont have a GPS in my truck yet either, kinda suprising that probably one of the youngest users on here doesnt trust electronics while I hunt, huh!  Dont get me wrong if I could afford to own a GPS to take on hunts I would most definatly use it, but I cant, and I would like to think that I make out fine, I tend to not adventure as much though.  I get away from roads and trails, just generally I have about 50 square miles that I hunt and know them very well!
~Chris Shelton

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
I was pointing out that your truck, assuming it's less than 25 years old, is a mess of electronics from oen bumper to the other and you trust it to get you where you are going.

Nothing wrong with distrusting any commercial device.  I just get tickeled at folks who distrust things because they have electricity runing through them.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
I've only ever used my compass.  The batteries never die on it.  On my Canada trips I did have a guide with me.  Here in the US I have not hunted in true wilderness and there is always a road, fence, river that I would hit if I did get "confused" as to where I was... On new ground(miles of public land) I will take a compass reading on my truck/camp before I start...

If I was getting dropped into a wilderness camp I would have a map, compass and maybe even a gps in my pack...

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
"I use mine for short trips. The battery use is way too high to trust the thing on any trip of more than a couple hours."

Thanks for the heads up on the battery usage Jeff; I just picked up the phone last week and just getting familiar with it.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
I'm more comfortable with a dedicated GPS unit, a compass and a map.  Too many eggs in one basket and unproven in harsh remote locations for a phone.  Where I hunt you can die - don't need that "convenience."  H

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jeff Strubberg:
I was pointing out that your truck, assuming it's less than 25 years old, is a mess of electronics from oen bumper to the other and you trust it to get you where you are going.
O gotchya, I really dont trust it either, got jumper  cables under my seat  :biglaugh:  , no in all seriousness it isnt the electronic it is the signal I dont trust.  I want to get a GPS, it is hard to mark exact spots on maps.  But I will never walk afeild with only a GPS, not that anyone was saying they do.  

Back on topic, that article I read showed a picture of the app for the iphone, it looked technologically simple, lol. Just a cordinate reading with a electronic compass!
~Chris Shelton

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
Bjorn,

Drop me a PM if you want to talk iPhone apps...there are a couple I think everyone should have, especially for travel.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
Still don't know what an iphone is,or a blackberry or most of the other things you guys are talking about.

I do have a GPS though,use it to find the direction to camp an then go back to my map an compass to get me there.

A couple of weeks ago I met two guys on a track in the area I was hunting and they told me how they had almost walked off a bluff by following their GPS in the fog.

That struck me a being very silly on a couple of points but I said nothing because I'm sure they worked that out for themselves.

I often do wonder what all the high tech guys are going to do if any of this stuff ever stops working,,,I guess I'll have the hills to myself huh.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
Just to side track the conversation a little, the Iphone has an internet browser function, how good is it?

Could you be reading these trad gang posts....can you check emails on them.

I use the internet a fair bit for my business and it would be handy if I could catch up with things in camp in the evenings when on solo hunts.

Basically I'm wondering if I could do this stuff on an Iphone or if I need a small laptop.
Three things you cant take back, time past, harsh words and a well sped arrow

Offline ryped

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
I use my iPhone with TragGang and email more than I use my desktop.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©