3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you miss at 5 yds?!?  (Read 616 times)

Offline Kurt Miller

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
How do you miss at 5 yds?!?
« on: April 21, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Quite easily it appears.  Only my second time out this year.  Very nice set up in spot I killed one with shotgun last year just 50 yds from my house. I'm spoiled, that's why taking my time hunting them. The older toms seemed to be more responsive to my amateur calling this time last year.  Also a casual 8:00 hunt time seems to work great to.  Anyway, no excuses, I blew the shot, I am almost regretting letting him in so close.  I was quite sore from a lot of practice and a lot of digging and raking in the yard this week. I was inside a worn out old blind with no roof, so still pretty visible through window especially when he is in your lap! So, I drew much slower than usual and kind of hit a wall, tried to really kick in the back muscles but didn't feel like I was really in good alignment.  I still felt pretty good, had settled nerves because he took forever sneaking in, and had a spot picked out.  Maybe lost concentration for a split second worrying about how draw felt, but its only 5 yds right.  Got a good surprise release.  Right over him I think.  He just walked away and hung out at 25 yds for awhile, but I wasn't up for a follow up.  Get him tomorrow.

Spent too much time practicing farther out. I did purposely practice a few in close and do tend to err high if all is not just right.  Oh well, such is hunting.  At least not a wounded, lost bird, and he sure was acting and looked like a younger, subordinate, so hopefully tomorrow he or the big boss will show up, and I'll close the deal.  Just a rush to have my setup unfold perfectly otherwise.  Good luck everyone.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you miss at 5 yds?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
I missed a boar hog at 4 yds one time.  When the guys in camp asked how I did that.  I told them I thought it was 5.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
I missed my javis with gatorgar (alex) at 10 maybe 11 yards....I am pissed at myself but oh well it happens obviuosly.

I think if you have an opportunity to hunt live animals lots that goes away.

For me I know I get excited when I finally get a shot and then I over think it and miss.

Jer Bear

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
That's Funny Wingnut!   :laughing:  * It's real easy to miss the close in shots... No such thing as a gimmie.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
The closer it is the easier to miss-why? We don't practice close shots-why bother-right?

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
No difference between 3 and 23 steps if you don't focus and concentrate....  I missed a Javelina at 6 steps...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Lots of grouse I have shot at have lived another day within the 10 yrd mark.   Like John3 said, you don't think focus and concentration are needed at that close of range...It really rather easy to miss, I happen to be very good at it at any distance.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
I missed a big tom at 7 steps the other day. Just clipped the feathers off top of his back. He was trotting by, but I make that shot 99 out of 100. Guess it was the one time. the only way to never miss is never shoot. At least I finally know what it feels like. LOL. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
I learned something very valuable from Ray Hammond some years ago: "Pick THE spot." Not "a" spot, "THE" spot. Imagine there is only one single, tiny spot where you can kill the animal you are shooting at...it will make a difference in your shooting.

Welcome to the club, this thread would go on for months with folks chiming in on close "gimmies" that turned into "what was that!" shots.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
i missed a six point whitetail at five yards one time as it slowly walked by my blind.  as the saying goes in golf, there are no three foot tap-ins.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline Kurt Miller

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
I knew I'd be in good company and certainly not looking for pity, but it is reassurring to hear others stories and maybe learn something.  It keeps the fire alive to get back out there.  All the sweeter when it does happen.  thanks for the support.

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
dont feel so bad, I missed a big tom opening daythis season, no blind, at 9 feet.   as I came to full draw my facemask slid to cover my right eye, wich caused me to miss.
  better luck next time!!!   :D
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
Yup- missed a tom at about 8 yds a few weeks ago. Right over his back- rushed, brush, some distraction. . . ah crap- I just shot at his whole body.  

If I could only have back a couple of 160"+ deer I did that with at under 15!!    :banghead:    

Good hunting
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
My guess. You don't practice at 5 yards enough.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
I missed the deer of a life time at Ossabow Island several years ago.For the life of me I can`t remember what to call`m but it had a lot of white sploched all over it.More white than brown. I saw it scouting. Had a first day of the hunt setup on it and it went by at about 25 yards. I did`nt shoot and two days later I moved on it and shot over its back at....4 steps.

Killed two bucks in three minutes that evening at 18 and 16 yards. Both double lung shots.RC

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
I missed a turkey at about 15 feet. It took a while for me to accept that one.
SL

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Been there myself...just so overconfident it is easier to do than you'd think.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
"piebald" is the word I was trying to think of a while ago.RC

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
-been there, done that. Down at Greg Campbells in early March for hogs, my son arrows two, I have a "meat in the freezer", 7 yard shot broadside at a big black boar. Perfect shot behind the shoulder, only an inch over his back.
DOH!!!

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Missed a 6x6 elk in NM at 7 yds, if it wasn't for the misses the hits wouldn't be near as good!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©