3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: is it true?  (Read 324 times)

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
is it true?
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
i heard that its not a good idea to store your bow vertically liek standing in a corner.  Is this true? if so whats the problem in doing this? thanx  :archer2:

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: is it true?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
I hang mine from a peg.I think it puts a strain on the lower limb and may cause it to bend.Make a small peg board and attach it to the back of your door.Make it cool by using cut off arrow pieces(for the pegs) and a knock to make it look like an arrow.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
You will warp the bottom limb.

I have an old unbacked long bow that stood in the corner for years that I can show you for proof why not to do it.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
will it warp fiber glass backed bows??
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
yes.  H

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »
I don't stand them up verticaly, but hang them from a peg verticaly like lpcjon2 suggests. I don't think this will hurt them (hope not, been doing it for 30 years).

I have seen folks hang them horizontaly on two pegs. Seems like gravity would pull the middle of the bow down and out of shape. Don't know this for sure but makes sense to me.

Dad always kept his (which are now mine) in a bow sock laying flat under the bed in the spare room. Probly the way to ensure the least likely twisting or warping.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline carlo1404

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 04:07:00 AM »
I stand my Bear bows horizontally on wallrack,   they haven't problem to stay here in this position... other bows, the most used for frequently shoot, stands vertically but suspended by the string.
Carlo
1974 Bear T/D Mag A + 2016 #3 42#
2005 Bear T/D Two tone A + RER #2 58" 40#
2010 Blacktail Elite VL 60" 43# Myrtyle
2010 Wes Wallace The Partner 62" 46#
2012 Hoyt Buffalo 62" 40#
2015 LB T.Previdi Taipan 64" 45#
Early '70 N.8 Bear Bows

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »
The weight of the bow, usually pushing at some type of slight angle, while standing in the corner, will cause the limb to twist over time. You should not store a bow standing on one limb. Lay it flat on floor under a bed or hang it up.
John

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
No prob if you are leaving it over the weekend....but certainly not for extended periods.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
Definitely harmful....    this is why so many guys are shooting those strange bows with the bent limb tips.   They were originally nice longbows, but were stood in corners too long and warped into recurves...   Some bows subjected to this kind of torture get the bent tips, others just kind of buckle in the middle and become RD's.    Too bad...  I could just cry when I think of all those beautiful true longbows subjected to this terrible torture....

sorry... haven't had my morning coffee yet...  8^)

It isn't a good idea, though.   Like many others, I use pegs
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
So hanging them from a peg is NOT a problem? Does it matter if they are strung or unstrung when hanging them in this way?
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Hanging them shouldn't ever be a problem, unless you have the string torqued badly somehow.

Standing them in a corner abolutely will warp a recurve.  I've never seen a longbow limb twisted this way.  Longbow limbs are much thicker than those of a recurve and resist twist much better.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Yep, twists the limb it is standing on.  Worst thing you can do when storing them.

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
I hang mine horizonally on pegs placed very near the riser. No problems.

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
Yup...left a favorite glass laminated recurve with a friend. Saw it standing in a corner of the garage maybe a year or so later...corkscrewed the bottom limb! A real heartbreaker...I'm getting too misty to say more. Rick.

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
I left one of my bows in corner for awhile, but now have it laying down, thanks for bringing this to my att, I think my bow is ok? for now..
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
anyone leave theres strung for a while when hanging.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Charles,

I often leave mine strung while I'm hunting for several days. My thought is that it would do more damage trying to string and unstring it in the dark when I am all jazzed up about going in or all tuckered out coming out, than leaving it strung in the truck.

That being said I am always careful about leaving it strung in the truck if it's hot.

At home, I always leave them unstrung. I have heard stories both ways. One guy claims he's never unstrung his in 30 years and it still shoots the same, another guy leaves his strung for a week and the bow takes a set and the string is so loose it falls off.

They don't come from the manufacturer or bowyer strung so I figure that's the best way to keep them when not in use.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
My regular glass and wood laminated shooters stay strung for years. I hang them from pegs unless there is a quiver then they get layed down on a table or hung horizontally.
Self bows get unstrung and hung from a peg when I am finished shooting them.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 12:41:00 AM »
I second the notion of leaving them strung.
1 selfbow I break down after use, I leave the rest of them strung because it reminds me that it's time to use them.
I will admit that I have a passle full of arrows being neglected. Have a tendency to keep using the same ones because I like the fletching colors and the way they perform.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©