3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leafy suit vs. Ghillie suit  (Read 309 times)

Offline Lil Red

• Trad Bowhunter
Leafy suit vs. Ghillie suit
« on: April 22, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
For hunting in a natural ground blind can you get by using a leafy suit?

Offline Lil Red

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leafy suit vs. Ghillie suit
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
Sorry also your favorite stool or chair thats easy to carry.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
You can get by with a good plaid style wool shirt and jeans... Good head/face/hand cover is a must. ASAT works well for me. Also don't sit to "high".. I use a Niff T Seat without any additional height inserts.. Maybe 4" high, just enough to keep my rear end dry.. LOL  Most of the time I switch between kneeling and sitting on this stool..

Movement is the key... You must be stone still. Listen for the deer coming in, don't look around as the deer will see this movement.

Always let the deer pass PAST you then slow motion to get drawn on them... Deadly...!
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
I recently started using a leafy suit. I have a ghillie but its to hot most of the time down here.I killed a Turkey the other day with no blind and he strutted almost completely around me under 15 yards before he got to where I could shoot. A couple of weeks ago I was sitting in a makeshift homemade blind from brush and was wearing the leafy suit. A Mature "about to pop with a yearling" doe came by and never knew I was there. I`m sure I could have gaffed her had it been deer season.

I believe the reason a lot of folks don`t kill deer from the ground is lack of confidence...me included. I have killed a lot of deer on foot but it was luck and everything just fell in place. I`m gonna hunt a lot from the ground this coming year God Willing.RC

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
I'm with RC on this. For the southern states, a ghillie is too hot. PLus, it really hangs up in the briars.
I started using a leafy jacket and have had deer and turkeys within feet of me. I'm a raptor by birth, but I may try this more often this year.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
I have both and use both with outside temperture being the determining factor. I pack them in and change in the field. I see myself hunting more and more from the ground.   :archer:

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Leafy Bug suit..worked for me on this evening.
first time hunting on the ground in natural blind that I put in under my ladder stand.  

Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©