3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Fishermen, Beware of Gar Eggs  (Read 663 times)

Online ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Fishermen, Beware of Gar Eggs
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
I thought I would pass this information on to you who enjoy shooting Gar.  It came out of an Alabama Newpaper online:

Cleburne County family survives bitter experience with gar eggs
 HEBER SPRINGS – Not all fish eggs create caviar; some can be downright dangerous. A Cleburne County family discovered this after becoming violently ill upon eating the eggs of a long-nosed gar on April 5.

The eggs of some fish species are processed into expensive caviar, and fried fish eggs are a spicy appetizer in Indian cuisine. Even bluegill eggs can be deep-fried and served. But the eggs of all gar species are extremely toxic and should be avoided.

“My husband Darwin (Aaron) and brother-in-law Russell (Aaron) had gone spearfishing in Greers Ferry Lake and had gotten one gar,” said Tiffany Aaron. “My husband had heard that gar were good to eat, and we’ve always been a family that’s up for trying anything once.”

Mrs. Aaron said Darwin, Russell and her 10-year-old son, Carson, ate the gar and its eggs at about 8 p.m. that evening. Carson was the first to get sick, and began vomiting by 1:30 a.m. Russell became ill by 3 a.m., and Darwin followed suit at 5 a.m.

“The men were the only ones who had eaten the eggs, so I got online to find out more,” said Mrs. Aaron. “That’s when we found out they were poisonous.”

Carson was taken to Baptist Health Medical Center in Heber Springs where he was put under observation.

“My biggest question was what should we expect or watch for,” said Mrs. Aaron. “But the ER doctors didn’t have any experience with this sort of poisoning, and the Poison Control Center didn’t have any information. The one thing the doctors could tell me is that it was fortunate that my son began vomiting as quickly as he did to get the toxins out of his system.”

Lee Holt, an Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Fisheries Management Biologist conducting research on alligator gar, was contacted for more information about the type of toxin contained in gar eggs.

“I made a lot of calls to gar experts I knew from my research,” said Holt. “Our main concern was the type of toxin. There was one mention of it possibly being cyanide-based. The doctor at the emergency room explained that treatment for cyanide poisoning can be just as harsh as the toxin, so we needed to make sure before (Carson) was given any treatments.”

Holt said he found out that it was a protein-based toxin, so the harsh treatments could be avoided.

All three men recovered from the episode, but the effects of the poisoning lingered for three days.

“As it turns out, there’s so little information on the subject that researchers at Nicholls State University in Louisiana are conducting follow-up interviews about the family’s ordeal,” Holt said.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Fishermen, Beware of Gar Eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
thank you
ChuckC

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
Very good info., thanks for passing it on.
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
No gar out here in Washington, the Cabezon we catch off the coast here has lethally toxic eggs.  I am glad to hear they all pulled thru.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
wow, interesting....
is it September yet??

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
I have heard all my life that gar eggs were poison.  The meat is good but stay away from the eggs.  Until now, I thought it was an old wives tale.  On the other hand, I never ate gar eggs.  Bill

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
I thought everyone knew that!   :scared:
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
I have read some research that in addition to the toxic properties they are caustic in the same way bleach and lye are, very high pH.

Also interesting is that one of the few (if not the only)animals that can consume, digest and recieve no ill effects from gar eggs is the Channel Catfish.

We used to always wait with anticipation for the gar to spawn. The catfish go NUTS. Similiar I suppose to the way Rainbow Trout really go on the bite when the Salmon run the rivers in Alaska.

Either in the lakes or in the clear streams, the catfish follow the gar around waiting for them to spawn.

I'm very glad the family is OK. Guess Anthony Bourdain won't be trying gar eggs either.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
I'm glad everyone is OK.  Whenever I was a kid and "unlucky" enough to catch a gar, I was taught to smash it's head with a stick and throw it back in the lake or river for turtle food.  People here in East Tennessee will eat about anything, never heard of anyone eating gar.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Not eating any fish eggs! They are only good for bait as far as I am concerned.

Glad everyone is ok.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
When I was a kid my Dad fried the bream eggs for us. Never found them that good but just unusual to eat. Never heard this about gar eggs. You can always learn something new. Thanks.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
Born (1951) and raised in Florida, we used gar eggs for bream, a fabulous bait.  But I was always told to rinse my hands in the river after baiting the hook because the eggs were poisonous.  All grown up now, I wonder what was in the river I washed my hands in!!  I've always eaten bass and bream roe, delicious.  I have always heard that the Seminoles threw gar on hot coals and then peeled the skin off and ate the meat.  The scales were used for arrow points.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
thanks for the heads up an glad they are doing ok

Jer Bear

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
Yet again the good information passed along among TG'ers to keep each other ad others families safe. Another reason I love this site is because of things as simple as this. Thanks for sharing and I hope everyone is doing better now.
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
Yea, gar eggs are a no-no.  Don't eat polar bear liver, either, just in case anyone was thinking about it.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
I thought everyone knew that!    :scared:  
Same here!  Ironically, the guys name was Darwin...

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 05:15:00 AM »
I Learnt something new today!  :eek:

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Notice the guys name is "Darwin" as in "Darwin Awards".....

Online ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
We used to eat bass and bluegill eggs when I was a kid and had time to fish.  I would have never known about the gar eggs and thought it might be handy to post.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Since everyone is ok...might I do at least 2/3 of a PUN... the P & U?

That story is GAR-ish!

devil made me do it...

Always ate shad roe...considered a delicacy here in the East... tried catfish eggs... not so pleasant. Never saw a gar but visiting FL as a kid, but even w/ losing short-term memory, I'll REMEMBER this one!   :eek:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©