3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My wife wants to move to GEORGIA!  (Read 1035 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
My wife wants to move to GEORGIA!
« on: April 22, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Well the wife and I were talking and she stated she wanted to move out of Jersey.Then she said I want to go down south,maybe Georgia    :saywhat:  .This is a girl that has been as far as Pennsylvania and Maryland.Well my heart started pounding in my chest.Now I have to get some info on what are the best towns to live in.And I have to find a job and one for her as well.Im a forensic Tech/medical investigator and she is a social worker.But most of all what are the hunting opportunities like? Any help would be grateful and an asset to seal the deal.     :pray:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Preacherman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My wife wants to move to GEORGIA!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Bryant, AR.  I live just west of Little Rock - tons of hunting/fishing - think you both could find good jobs in LR.  Go Hogs!

and you could come to my church - cool real people!
Preacherman - Trust in Him and not yourself, and He will make it work!

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
Kerrville,Texas is a hunter's paridise and has a population of about 20,000 with about 40,000 in Kerr county. About 60% are seniors who retired there! Kerr county is the heart of all the exotics in Texas along with whitetails and turkey. Great restaurants and sets on the beautiful clear Guadalute river with small mountains along its banks. San Antiono is about 50 miles on Interstate 10 where Bass Pro sets in a huge strip center. Kerrvlle has a new hospital downtown! Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
I don't know where your gonna move to but I think you married a smart girl. I still have to get my wife thinking along those lines........I'm working on it. Good luck in your search!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
We grew up in SE PA, about an hour from Philly.  I tried for several years to get her to move west to WY,CO,MT, ID etc.  Even had some interviews but when it came down to it she couldn't leave family.  I did get to NW PA which is a whole lot better but still not the west.  My last hole card is my sons have inherited my wanderlust and will move there on their own accord.  If they go, we'll be right behind I'm sure.

If I were to move south I'd look hard at KY, TN, NC.  JMHO, your mileage may vary.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
Anxiously watching the suggestions.  I am about 3 yrs away from another southern migration.  Need to let one more little birdie graduate and then fly away from home.

I have been dreaming Texas.  My wife is thinking Savanah.  We'll see.  One way or another, I am moving back into a country setting with land of my own.  Did the suburb thing to make Mrs and kids happy for too long.  Can you saw log cabin home and pole barn workshop?
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
We are not retiring I'm 40 and she is 41(my cougar)But the N.J. taxes and cost of living are killing us.Plus the area I live in (outside of Atlantic City)has become contaminated by less than desirable people and we have been looking for a change.I have 3 kids  15,9,and 7 They are ready to move as well.I like the seasonal weather and not to fond of dry heat(my mother lives in AZ and a sister in TX)
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
I have been wanting to move to CO for 20 years.  My wife won't cut the strings with her family.  Plus, she always says, "Why would they pay a school teacher with 20 years experience when they can hire someone right out of college for less money?"  Hard to argue with that:(

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
I'm partial to TN, but NC, KY, GA, AL would be next in that particular order. I'd imagine that you'd need to find a larger city to continue as a medical investigator/forensic scientist, your wife's SW position might be easier to place. Absolutely no offense to any members from NJ as it has it's pretty areas, but I'd move ricky-tick out of there. My Yankee wife has settled in wonderfully in TN and she's from Philly PA and loves it here. I'm a purebred TN mutt with roots in this area since 1803, so being back here makes me like the proverbial pig in slop.

UT Knoxville has a leading forensic graduate school, it's the home of Bill Bass from Body Farm fame. Chattanooga has an active regional forensic lab, nice folks that I got to know in college. Memphians are really good at killin one another in interesting ways and they have a large, busy and dedicated lab there. I did some work with them while I was in medical school. I'm sure Nashville also has some good forensic investigators.

If you settle in TN or have some specific questions, go down into the state forums and ask around. We have members spread all over the state if we can help. GA also has an active state group.

As far as hunting, all states are pretty good and have liberal bag limits and the seasons are long. TN and KY have elk. TN/GA/NC have bear. Most states have populations of hogs now, but are certainly thicker in the deep south. I don't know that there is a bad state to hunt in, but you will have to pay attention to cities near public ground, or else consider joining a lease.

Good luck, move while she's motivated, don't look back except for holidays and learn to drink tea the proper way - sweet!

David
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
I'm looking at Eastern Tenn.,Southwest Va., Western N.C. and Northern Ga. My daughter is living in Northern Ga. now and I have had it with N.Y. taxes and miss managed Government. The winters are getting long it seems also....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
Tim, how do you like your Grits? This is a test!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
Well my wife wants to move to Costa Rica....Can you imagine me there....white whale on a beach in 85+ and 40-60% humidity.

Don't know what the hunting and fishin's like. She has pretty much done what i needed to do for 28 years so I guess it's her time..BUT COSTA RICA.

Guess I can fly to places to do things  :(

Jer

Offline blazelefty7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
I'd definitely look in to Kentucky.  Hunted whitetails down there this year in the northwestern part of KY near Paducah.  Friendly people, stuff is cheap, and there is plenty of game.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
Im in GA now myself.  One of my friends from college is a forensic tech and just got a job in Savannah.  I think you will have to live close to a major city in that line of work.

I have realized that the entire state of GA is just one big suburb of Atlanta.  The hogs are best south of Atl but deer seem to be everywhere.

If I could do it with no strings attached I think I would go the greater Macon area.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
South Ga. ....Gods Country.RC

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
Hot Springs, Ark.  Lots of old people in the Hot Springs Village, which is North 10 miles.  Lots of Hospital, Medical facilites etc.  Located on 10's of thousands of acres of National Forest lands of the Ouichita Forest.  Tons of beautiful lakes, streams etc.  Tons of deer, turkey, hogs, bear, etc.  Rick Welesh lives near here,--he took a state record bear--something like 600lbs. --Arkansas is the "Natural State" and it lives up to its motto-- absolutely beautiful with a wide variety of environs-- from swamps w/ 1000yr.old cedars, and alligators to Mountainous realms where mt. lions roam.  As a bonus, living is cheap here--taxes are 1/3 what they are in my other Mich. residence.  Oh, Deer season is about 5 months here--going to the end of Feb.  Hot Springs Village is a great place to live, and near-by Jesseville School district has a very high percentage of graduates going on to college.

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 01:24:00 AM »
Why not look west of the Mississippi? I here Alaska is a nice place to live. I also here the hunting and fishing is great and the state pays  you to live there.   ;)
Olin

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 02:02:00 AM »
I always figured the south was so hot that God only put the real sinners down there.  How could he love someone and put them in such a HOT place!

(God loves Steve and Olin and put them in a COOL place!)

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 02:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
But most of all what are the hunting opportunities like?     :pray:  
got your priorities right    :biglaugh:

good luck finding a new spot mate
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 06:09:00 AM »
C'mon RC, tell him about the knats....

Tim, read the thread about "What do you do in the off season" Us southern bots have no off season.

Atlanta would be your best job opportunities but you won't like it there. Augusta area is very nice. If you can find jobs in some of the small towns, I think you'd be very happy with the hunting and fishing. Remember, the south Georgia has the majority of the hogs and the bestest bowfishing.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©