3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back from the desert...  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back from the desert...
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
Wow, that is really interesting! I love seeing what is being hunted in other countries besides Africa. Congrats.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
Dromedary stew, then? I saw that one video from Queensland on hunting feral hogs and they hunted boars for tusks..wondered about eating the meat...and they were backpacking...Course in the muck they were hunting and them hogs eating mussels...that meat might have had a tad odd flavor!    :eek:  

Good to see that all things are NOT universally the same the world over. When in Rome...

Glad you're home safe.  Now share some of those cheeky moments for our edification and entertainment, Hoss!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
Cheeky moments, Doc? I'm not sure what you mean, except that we say an animal, particularly a snake, is "a cheeky one", if it is dangerous and wants to get you. Well, Matt's bull, the one he shot with his compound, leaked like a sieve but was hit a wee-bit far back. We tracked it into the Never-Never, caught sight of it, and watched as it sat down. We then moved up close, and he put another through it, and it got back up and started for us, taking a few steps (we were ten metres from it). I was armed with the camera bag, and I said "I'll draw his attention while you flank him and put him down", which is what we did. We were both glad he didn't have much go in him, as they can smash you, as attested to in RM Williams' book, "I Once Met a Man." So, that camel got a little bit cheeky.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »
What ben's saying is true. I've delt with these animals in yards after mustering time. There not like a horse or a beast, these fellas will walk/run over you and motobike and won't even look back! Seen it happen more than once.

And yes due to there height it makes them one hard critter to stalk in the Desert country.

these pics are from an area that I had but the place was sold off to other people and the new owners did not want camels hunted....

Sorry to hijack your thread to Ben.

al
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
This is really interesting! How thick is their skin? Looks like a blast. "armed with the camera bag."LOL I'll betcha that'll stop a charging camel.  Take care, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
Good on ya Ben! You are getting me pumped up!

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
Hey Al, it seems funny to see them in such a lush setting like that! Matt, they're pretty thin-skinned. I'm a bit of a fan of using heavy bows, and I think a camel would require it...any bow that can comfortably shoot through two side-by-side moose should do the trick...just kidding! I'm no expert, but 65 pounds with a 700 grain arrow might be a safe minimum bet. Well, Rick, we'll save a few for you!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Desert Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2007, 01:35:00 AM »
Ben,
Sounds like a great trip in beautiful country.  Congrats on the camel.   :thumbsup:    Now, I just wish our desert had game animals like that.

Brad
Mojave Desert, CA

Offline Jim/LI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 04:57:00 AM »
Looks like open country.  How do you sneak up on a camel?

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
You guys are havin way too much fun over there!!
Whaking camels for fun, it dosn't get any better. A guy I know shot about twelve of them one day, they put big goofy sunglasses on them and took pictures. Caption said "fighting lung disease in Australia" Around here our varmints go 20lbs tops so whaking camels looks like a blast. Go whak a few more for me!!!!
hunt it

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
Ben,

That would qualify as a "pucker moment" in my book..or what some guys from down under used to call "cheeky" moments... ya'll talk funnie to me anywho!    :bigsmyl:   Sorry if I got the vernacular "frahouddled". (ha...that's PA "Deutch")  :)  

Thanks for sharing that additional story...I sure had to raise my eyebrows reading how you were distracting him waving a camera bag! No wonder you asked for some prayers... you guys are wild!   :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline pucci

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
You did it, Ben! Congratulations!
I'd like to know how was the penetration, with your camel and the same taken with a compound.

Good job!

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »
José, my arrow went in tight behind the front left shoulder, and stopped dead on the off-side shoulder. The compound did the job nicely too, getting complete penetration except once when a rib was hit. Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2008, 05:43:00 AM »
Excellant camel, Ben! I can't wait to get over there next year!  ;)
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2008, 06:39:00 AM »
When are you planning on popping over, Nige? Bringing the Wolverine? If you can, line it up for NT school holidays, and we'll try to have a crack at 'em...
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
Very nice Ben...congrats on the fine camel!

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
Is camel leather any good?   Just think how much sinew would be in those long legs.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
Did you get a pass through on that beast?
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©