3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Has Duco changed ?  (Read 308 times)

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
Has Duco changed ?
« on: April 23, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
I am in the process of tuning some of my old arrows to fit a new bow. The old nocks were put on with Duco from about a year or two ago. I have to literally cut them off the woodies. Once that is done I clean up the taper and glued on new nocks. Two days later I can put pressure on the nock with my thumb and they pop right off.I ordered some of the Bear Paw nocks that Kustom King is now selling. I'm wondering if Duco has changed their formulation or if the Bear Paw nocks are made with some plastic that Duco doesn't work well on.It's been a pain in the a** so far. I had one nock break off on release and more or less dry fired the bow. Not good !
 I cleaned off all the old glue with a tool I made from an old Whiffen taper tool. (cut it down until just the taper is left and you can use it with fletching in place).
 I went ahead and put the nocks on with gorilla glue and they are holding just fine. But that's a pain. Just wondering what others are experiencing. The Bear Paw nocks do seem a bit undersize but can't  say for sure .
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Has Duco changed ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
Tim... no reason to believe that Duco has changed. There is a good chance however that the nocks have some kind of release agent in the taper from the molding process.
Try cleaning them out with alcohol or other mild solvent.

Bet that does the trick.... let us know.
   :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Afraid a snake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
I am using fletch-tite platinum and Bear Paw nocks ,not had any problem with bonding.

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
I haven't experienced this with all the arrows I have made in the past year up to today. Are you crown dipping your shafts? Once I didn't let the paint set up enough before installing nocks over the paint and a separation situation.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
Duco seems the same to me. Personally I have never found it to be of particular value for anything 'cept the fletches. I use a CA gel for nocks.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
I had the same thing happen about 2 months ago. A friend brought everything for me to make him some arrows. The nocks he used were bohnings but would not hold to the aluminum shaft.  :banghead:   It was what Mr Lamb stated ,cleaned them and no problems with Duco. I now clean all my nocks. Use a Q tip and alcohol.   :archer:

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
no problems in the past, but will clean all nocks from here on, thanks

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
I only use Duco on wood arrows with a polyurethene finish on them,everything else I use Platinum fletch tite.I have use Bear Paw nocks without any problem.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
Well,I tapered nocks on new cedar shafting, no paint, no varnish , no anything. I glued the Bear Paw nocks on one with Duco, one with Fletchtite, and cleaned the nocks with denatured alcohol. I also glued one of my older nocks(new not used) on a new cut shaft. After allowing drying time I tested them by grabbinbg with pliers and rocking them. The older nock with Duco literally had to tear from the wood with a lot of pressure. The Bear Paws all popped of with relative ease. It sure does not want me to buy these nocks again.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
That's really interesting. I'd thought about trying those nocks but it wouldn't be worth it to stock and use an additional glue just for the nocks.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
The ones I glued on with Gorilla glue seem to be fine, but that's a hassle and not very clean.I'd rather buy a different nock and be able to use Duco tht buy a highrer priced glue (if there is one). The cheaper price of the Bear Paws would be negated by higher priced glue. There's something going on with the plastic they used causing this I'm sure. If any of you has used Duco or Fletchtite I'd check them and give a good pry to see how they hold. I dry fired a new Bamboo Viper and that ain't good.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
Thanks for bowin the whistle on this one. I've looked at the bearpaws. I have always used bohning though.
Bearpaw does state they use a special cold temp resistant and CHEMICAL RESISTANT plastic. That resistance may well keep the duco from breaking the molecular bonds of the plastic down so it can adhere to the wood well.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
I wonder if the nocks' taper is off a little. I know that if I don't grind the shaft's nock taper right, then I get a void and the nock will pop off. If the nock is manufactured with an iffy taper, I would expect the same result.

I have never cleaned nocks before gluing them on. Points, yes. Not nocks.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
Not to hijack the thread but it kind of sounds like the Bear Paw products may have some issues. The nocks don't appear to work with one of the most popular glues we use and I've heard of issues with the feather cutter not working very well. Are the fletching jigs working out for folks?

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
I have NO experience with the jigs. i have read they really work well in some other reviews.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
Saunders NPV Adhesive!! Keeps the Feathers AND Nocks on!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
I also LOVE Saunders NPV.
I've been using it for everything for a long time now!
It even seems to work when using Krylon as the cap dip.
I've used Duco and it seems a little messy to me. I can't find it locally anymore, WalMart used to sell it.
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
I have to cut the nocks off to,but like snag mentioned my crown dipped arrows they will pop off very easy.Did you get some poly urethane on the nock taper?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Duco for fletching. Super glue for nocks. No Probs. here.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »
Its probably a well known thing to do but just in case... When I remove my nocks I heat em up a bit with a lighter or alcohol burner. I try to keep the flame off the shaft. Some sealer will burn like this, others don't. I keep the heat mostly on the part of the nock that is actually glued. The "fingers" of the nock might get burnt. Once it gets sorta soft, I just run my knife and cut a small slit from front to back with a few light passes. Then while still warm I pinch one side of the slit with pliers and just peel the nock right off.

Like I said, everyone probably does this..but just in case....I was happy when I figured it out lol

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©