3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Boy wants to learn  (Read 278 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Boy wants to learn
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Everyone should start with a simple loop of string made to fit the person's draw length. Teach archery form with the loop of string first (String Bow). Then move to a very lightweight bow, doesn't matter if it is traditional or a lightweight compound (sorry) - - the Genesis by Mathews is one that 1.5 million kids learned to shoot with last year. The shooter can move back to traditional after the process has been mastered. I highly recommend anyone wanting to learn to shoot, show someone how to shoot, or learn to shoot better (beat panic or prevent panic) buy Tim Strickland's DVD -- Beyond NASP. Guys and gals, like many of you I've been in archery for a very long time (since 1963 for me). Also like you I was told many "truths" about shooting a bow that turned out to be very bad ideas -- there aren't 50 best ways of doing something and there are very specific best ways to shoot a bow to be a liftetime archer. If you've had shooting difficulties you know what I'm talking about and this is a very serious issue. If you haven't had shooting difficulties, you are blessed and I hope your blessings continue.  I will teach a young neighbor boy and his dad later this spring the way I outlined above. I believe strongly that the dad needs to know what I teach his son so the son can be supported in his practice.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
Just two of the myths we need to erase from archery instruction:
1.Truth: A properly active bow arm will move at the release of the string and should be allowed to move. Towards the target, down and away. The myth that the bowarm should remain still until the arrow hits the target is unnatural and wrong. Trying to maintain a still bowarm after release promotes creeping and for a LH archer, right groups.
2. Hooking the bow string with the tips of three fingers is another myth we need to get rid of. The string should be well in the grooves of the last joints of the index and ring finger (towards the palm away from the joint of the middle finger) so the string hand will remain relaxed (flat back of this hand). A string on the tips of the fingers doesn't promote a relaxed release.  Actually it promotes the opposite. With the string hooked on the finger tips the back of the string hand is bowed which is tense and newbies will claim "I can't release the string!"

Sorry, for the detail but every aspiring archery (and veteran) deserves to get the most out of this wonderful activity called archery.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
nice going guys!!! makes you kinda' proud to be a fellow trad ganger...good people !! well done.
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©