3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hennessey Hammock, you got me thinking...  (Read 252 times)

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
Hennessey Hammock, you got me thinking...
« on: April 23, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
A while back, I saw a post about getting a hennessey hammock. I went to the website and looked around, and since then, I've been considering getting one for my hunting/camping trips. I've been wanting to get a tent, but have had a hell of a time deciding.

My question is, how good is it? Waterproof? Comfortable? Easy to set up? Etc.

I'm also looking at a Kelty Noah's Tarp or Gunnison 2.1, or Eureka Timberline/Forte SQT or Mountain Pass 2XTE.

Thanks.

Mods, if this is waaaaay to off topic feel free to delete it.

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hennessey Hammock, you got me thinking...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »
They have me thinking too. Have you seen the Warbonnet hammocks? Even more food for thought.

I've read about the cold issue, which to my simple mind is interpreted as the bridge effect where air passing under causes a colder surface temperature. What's your thought on this?

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
1) Good is subjective to the user - that said...

2)  No problems when pitched correctly, the tarp that comes with is enough to keep you dry, but if you want more room under it to store gear/cook etc you'll want a larger tarp.

3) Comfortable, again subjective.  I tried it for a couple outtings, wasn't overly wowed with it, but not turned off either.  You will get cold faster with the wind under you.

4) Ease of setup is phenomenal.  Really it's one saving grace IMO.  No need to look for a good spot, just two trees 14-15' apart.

Kelty's Noahs tarp is just that - a cat cut tarp, no bug netting etc.  The Gunnison's a small one man non-freestanding, and the T-line's a heavy A frame, and the M-Pass is a vested dome.

You've got (by my count)5 very different shelters listed.

You need to ask yourself:  what am I using this for, when am I going to use it (time of year), where will I be using it (above/below treeline), does it need to be freestanding, will I need to use it like a bunker if all else fails?  How much tent do I want to carry with me?

It's very easy to end up with a tent that almost does what you want it too...
Support the sport!

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 01:53:00 AM »
Very sound and thoughtful advice wihill. The kind of stuff that makes TradGang so grand!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
It really comes down to "proper tool/proper job". I've used Hennesseys, and own a Clark and love it, but there are definitely times when a bivy/tarp combo or a solid bombproof tent are better.

Are you looking for a shelter for mid-late season, 5 mile pack in elk hunts, day trips in the summer, or early season high alpine mule deer?

Basic anatomy things like do you sleep on your back,side, or stomach most times?  Are you above 6'4" and/or 245lbs? Comfort can become a factor for bigger guys in a hammock, and sleeping on anything but your back is often an issue for many.

Like wihill discusses the wind convection issue is there, as is availability of appropriate trees above alpine. The Clark is nice, as you can always go to ground if the weather goes really bad or no trees. I always advise folks to spend time on hammock camping forums before spending $$.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
Wihill and Daz, thanks for the info. Yeah, I know I'm looking at a very broad group. I've done some more looking at the Hammocks and the whole sleeping on the back thing doesn't exactly sound awesome. I tend to sleep on my side or on my stomach so that probably eliminates that one. I'm gonna do some more reading about the ones I listed and ask myself those questions.

Right now I currently own a Kelty Grand Mesa 2. It's nice, but the way it tapers down at the end makes it a bit smaller by my feet, the vestibule isn't very big, and the only way to get out of the tent is through the vestibule which I'm not a big fan of as it's hard to stay dry when exiting.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
I spent some time recently researching tents/hammocks for hunting and motorcycle trips. It had to be light, and at least 3 season, preferably with room or cover for 1 person and gear, and was relatively inexpensive. I have a Military GoreTex Bivy sack and a Recon 3 sleeping bag with fleece liner, that and a tarp will do for hardcore adventures I suppose. Hammocks are out since I can't sleep well on my back. I finally bought a Catoma Stealth 1. Catoma got started making tents for Forest Fighters, and makes Tactical tents also, which the Stealth 1 is. It weights just over 5 pounds, which is at, or just a bit more than a Bivy. I just got back a few hours ago from the Whittingham Shoot here in Jersey, my first shoot, and I tried the Stealth 1 for my overnighter. I was very impressed. It is well made and easy to set-up. Took me about 8-10 minutes, and that is the first tent I've set-up in at least 10 years. I'm 5'8" and had room for more gear than I needed at my feet, plus there's a vestibule on each side. It got down in the 40's last night and the dew was heavy, but it stayed dry with the rainfly. Mine has a Woodland Camo rainfly, but the new ones are tan or od. I'm no expert, but for a lightweight shelter for one person I'm sold on it and will be using it whenever I can. I got mine in like new condition for just over half the new price on the auction site. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.catomaoutdoor.com/Catalog/ProductInfo.aspx?id=166
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
just bought a new bag so I ran out and hung my Hennessey. It's blowing like crazy and a chance of snow tonight should be comfy. I like mine a lot but it takes some getting use to. Getting in your bag staying warm,there is not much room for storage but that is ok. I can lay on my side or back and I find it comfortable. I think it depends on how and what you plan on doing? I also own a North face and a MSR hubba hubba and a Sierra design that I use for all different situations. I think the hammocks are great products easy setups and can be used most anywhere. Ck out their web site. Good luck.  I'm heading outside.

Offline Auzoutdoor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 03:13:00 AM »
I see a lot of guys mentioning laying on your back but with the Henn. unlike a normal hammock you can lay on your side just as easy as I cant sleep on my back but sleep better in mine than at home.:)You do need to put all ideas aside and just try a night in one as the first time I tried mine I set up my faithfull swag next to me to crawl into during the night but woke the next morning still in the hammock.Second night it was starting to rain when I hopped into the hammock and thought tonight when I start to get wet straight into the swag I go but again I woke still in the hammmock and toasty dry.I am in the warmer parts of Auz so dont get snow but on the colder nights about 0 deg c I just use a warmer bag and a lighter one in warmer months.If I sound like a ad for the hammock thats because I love it.
Cheers KIM
Australian Outdoor and Archery

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 03:26:00 AM »
Did you buy yours from their website, Kim?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Auzoutdoor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
Hi Ben no I bought my first when I used to sell archey gear and got it at dealers price from a hiking shop in Brisbane and bought my second one as a spare second hand on TBGA.I love it and had to get the second because the Daughter started to want to use it too.
Cheers KIM
Australian Outdoor and Archery

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
update. Wind blew all night long. No rain or snow . Temps got down into the 30's. I used a thermarest pad and a 10 degree bag and was warm as toast. I slept on my back and on my right and left sides , very comfy.The key is to have a good bag. This hammock is light weight and fast to set up and take down. I use mine for hunting solo and backpacking but as I said earlier I have not got rid of my tents yet.I bought mine off the website and it came fast. I also have a 2 man ENO hammock that we take day hiking and have set up all the time in the backyard.If you buy get the snake skins and they may just come with the hammock.Good luck. Oh almost forgot we will be using a hammock in a week down in that Zion country.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
Just bought one following the last conversation here.   Slept in it ONE night (25 mph winds, thunderstorm, 40 degrees) so think of this as a first observation and a single test.

I bought 2 deep jungle asym's for a trip my son and I are planning to the boundary waters in late June.  I too needed a tent when I decided to go this route.

I chose the deep jungle vs. the other models for three reasons:

1.)  It could get cold so I wanted some cold weather protection.  The deep jungle has that built in and is cheaper than the super shelter add-on for the other models.   It comes with the pad shown on the web site.

2.)  I also wanted the double layer underneath for mosquito protection without a pad.

3.) The deep jungle has a side zipper for entry.  The sales guy said he likes it better and though I never used the other model.  I liked it.  In nasty weather you sit in the hammock and cook under the tarp. That is much nicer than eating and cooking in a small tent by far.

Other things I got.   I got an extra bigger tarp and the snakeskins free due to a promotion.  I will likely ONLY use the larger tarp vs. the standard model.  It seems the right size.  I will likely never use the snakeskins.  Kind of a pain to use though maybe that is because of the bigger tarp.  

I also got some bigger straps to add to the defaults.  I ended up with 96" because that was all that was in stock.  So far they seem too big but we will see later on.   I also think the 42" defauld straps are too small.

First Observations:

1.)  Quick and easy setup and no poles to lose - which can kill a trip.  In fact I don't know if you could leave something behind and not use the shelter!  That's a plus.
2.) Don't need a flat spot -- kinda obvious but it made choosing a camp site a lot more interesting.  BTW:  Trees need to be 12 - 25 feet apart.  That gives lots of options.
3.) Comfortable, but I didn't sleep great.  The tarp flapping in the wind and the thunderstorm woke me often.
4.)  I used a cheap coleman sleeping bag - on purpose to test it - and I was warm all nite.
5.)  Amazingly dry.   Read that again.   I have never been dry in a tent all nite when sleeping on the ground.  Either I get wet or my stuff gets wet.
6.) Didn't need a sleeping pad which most (all) serious backpackers carry.  The sheet provided is optional and I could see in warm weather not taking it for comfort.
7.) The wind gusts into the sleeping area unlike a tent.  I may have needed to adjust the fly.
8.) I don't know what I will do with my gear yet.  I will likely use the extra tarp as a gear shelter.
9.) I didn't tie down the hammock and it swayed during the nite.  It was remarkable surreal in that it didn't bother me.  I would have guessed that it would have bothered me.
10.)  The entire thing is small and light.  Great for backpacking which I also do. My two older kids are using my tents hence the need to get these.

That is enough I guess.   Since there is not a perfect tent, I have to say that this is gonna be a fun choice and I am happy I made the purchase.

Also hennessey was a great company to buy from.  I found the sales folks easy to talk to and very professional.

- Dave

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
For early summer - early fall it's a viable shelter IMO.  Once you get into late fall - winter (up here), it's more hassle than it's worth when you add up the underquilts, larger tarps, over quilts, pads etc.  You essentially end up with a hanging tent, at which point I question the weight vs. utility of it.

I will say (not from personal experience, but several noted persons that I fully trust) that HH's staff and warranty dept are second to none and worth the purchase on that front - it is a stand up company.
Support the sport!

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
Does anyone have experience with this one? Nice concept to be able to use it as a ground Bivy, or Hammock.

http://www.lawsonhammock.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4387
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
downside ck out the weight????? You can also use the Henn on the ground as a tent. Food for thought.They all look nice and I bet they are great products but for me weight is a major ordeal while packing on my back.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Good point on the weight Wahoo. I think I will be adding a HH to my gear. It sounds like what I need for an "Away from the Roads" hunt I want to make in Ohio this Oct.

Offline mobiltoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
I have used the hh with a larger tarp and a 0 degree bag on three elk hunts in colorado. Elevation was 9000-12000. Temps at night ranged from 30s to high 40 with several very nasty high alt storms,snow,sleet,rain. That being said I have also spent as many nights there on the ground in a tent.  Like someone said earlier there are trade offs with any system.  The hammock system I have comes in at about 4 pounds, has a nice place to sit up and rest,nap and with the large tarp I can have a place to cook under. Unlike a tent you need to set it up and practice a few times. It can be pitched tight into a storm mode or open for fair weather.  For me I will continue to use the hammock down into the 30s.

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 01:13:00 AM »
The Hennesey works for me. I usually sleep on my belly and I admit to having a couple of nights at first that I tossed and turned. But after that I sleep like a baby.

I usually spend a couple of weeks a year up in North Carolina, paddling whitewater. After an all day trip paddling twisting and turning and yes, swimming, I'm pretty sore.

I used to sleep in a tent with just a pad and bag, Could hardly walk the next morning.With the hammock I wake up feeling pretty good!
I don't know how I'm sleeping, wether its on my back or side or belly. I just know I'm sleeping!

Drawbacks are obvious. No place to keep your gear. Kinda hard to get in and out of in the middle of the night when nature calls.
But for me, It works.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »
I saw one mention of it but what about the ENO as an alternative to HH?  Anyone with experience w/ both?

I'm a cheapie and kind of like the looks of  http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/single-nest-hammock.html  this one.  You can get a tarp / bug net for it as well but I'm interested in people's take on whether or not his hammock is comparable w/ the HH in comfort / quality.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©