3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting off the hand  (Read 150 times)

Offline stickbow2442

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting off the hand
« on: April 24, 2010, 07:31:00 AM »
I would like to find a buy a longbow that you shoot off the hand. Where can I find one like that? Thanks
Robert
Michigan Longbow Association
----------------------------

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting off the hand
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
Robert,

We build our bamboo backed Dryad Hunter with an off the hand option.

We could build our glass Oracle with the same handle if you wanted.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Good for you!  I love that!  About every third bow I make is what I call a "classic".   Takes me back to my childhood, when that was just naturally the way a bow was...  First time I ever saw a bow with a shelf, it was like, "Wow, what a concept!"

I don't take orders for bows, but rattle my cage and I can sure show you some pix of the ones I shoot... both old originals and my own.  Love talking with someone else who likes the "old way".

[email protected]
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
Dick in Seattle ... I know the feeling. Nothing like "The feel"  Simple is the way to go. As you know ... Theres not many of us that feel the "feather"  God bless you. Jeff
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Robert Why don't You make a simple D Osage Selfbow. It would be a good start. Hickory would be a cheaper way too.. Have fun..You love the "feather feel" after you calus up !!! , Jeff
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline stickbow2442

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Thanks guys.
Robert
Michigan Longbow Association
----------------------------

Offline oberon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
The two Saluki bows I have coming this summer are both to be shot off the hand as they are to be used in mounted archery.  It is for sure a special feeling to shoot this way, kind of one with the bow and arrow nothing stands between  you and it.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
I've been exchanging posts with a couple of folks as a result of this thread.   Since there seem to be a few other folks here with an interest in this, I might as well pass on the same information to you I passed to them.

I got into bow building because I couldn't get any modern bowyer to build a real copy of the old shoot off the hand Indian and York bows from when I was a kid.  I paid for three custom bows, even sending an original old bow back to be copied, and still couldn't seem to get exactly what I wanted.   I eventually got a chance to work with bowyer JD Berry, who showed me the basics and made my first form.  It took me awhile to assemble a shop, but I built my first solo bow in Oct. of 2008.

I have now built 18 bows.   I'm putting #19 in the oven today.  I've settled on a style that is somewhere between a true Hill and a basic flatbow, with an element or two of the English longbow thrown in.    I've found I can make it with or without a shelf and have it shoot fine, with relatively easy arrow match even without a shelf.   It's still evolving a little bit.  I'm gradually working toward a narrower limb surface and deeper core, again moving toward the ELB, but maintaining both flat back and belly, like the Hills.

My most recent bow, Sweet Georgia Brown, is amazing to me, and pretty much to everyone who shoots with me.    I just came home last week from shooting the big Moses Lake Shoot.   Everyone who shot a round with me was surprised at what this bow could do, and I was flat out floored.   It was a shoot with a lot of longer shots... more 25 to 40 than I generally like... and lots of really severe uphill/downhill shots.   After the first few rounds I got used to the bow and started believing in it and I took everything from the established stakes and was making kills at all distances.   The catch here is that Georgia Brown is a 22# bow!  Georgia has a shelf, but that's not her fault.  8^)

The one I'm putting in today is for a friend who wants a 35# version.   It'll be interesting to see how that comes out.  Next project is probably going to be a duplicate of Georgia but without a shelf.

Take a look at my web site:    www.oldpharttsarchery.com      Check out the Gallery of Bows.  "Lemonade", "Road Trip", "Arrowl Flynn" and "Look at Me" are all shoot off the hand models.   Arrowl Flynn was rotated among the Howard Hill Longbowmen all last year, and everyone who got a chance to shoot him loved him.

I think you shoot off the hand guys will enjoy looking at these bows.   Please remember though, I'm not in the bow business.  I love to share what I do, but I'm not trying to promote bow sales here.

"Arrowl Flynn"
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 01:09:00 AM »
i also enjoy shooting off the hand and the more instinctive feel you get.for me i can feel if the shot is going to be straight or off to one side by feeling the arrow tail wag off the string. Dick very nice bows.
Richard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©