3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: whats it taste like  (Read 277 times)

Offline Groundpounder

• Trad Bowhunter
whats it taste like
« on: April 24, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
Im from hanover pa.i grew up just outside of gettysburg on a property adjoined to my grandfathers farm. we killed and butchered farm raised hogs and still do to this day. I love a salt sugar hickory smoked cured country ham. To all you guys who have had the experience of harvesting and eating a wild pig whats it taste like in comparison to a farm raised hog?

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: whats it taste like
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
Contact GATORGAR...he eats Jav's and most ppl I talked to say they just shoot them. He says they don't know how to cook 'em and season them.

I was hoping to get one when i was there so I could try it, but alas I missed.

I hope to get one when I come down in June though.

Jer BEar

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Havis aren't pigs and that's why they don't taste like pork. I can't speak on wild hog as I've never eaten any.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
wild pig taste like pig to me with not as much fat on them

Offline flounder pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
A good acorn fed wild hog tastes as good as any domestic hog. I like to keep them under a 125 lbs., the smaller the better.

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
Fl, Tx Wild hog tasted the same to me. We butchered them like a deer. Little tough getting the hide off.Groundpounder I tried the salt sugar cure and smoke but came out way too salty. Would be interested in curing options.

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
To me i rather the taste of wild pork.May be because its fresh.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
What Jake said. I do prefer the 75 to 150 lb. variety.
bolong

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
When you come across the little ones and can catch em work the boars to a baar and when gets a couple hunderd #'s he's just like a steer very good eating
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline bow'narrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
Well, Javelina from Arizona are cooked smothered with whatever BBQ sauce you deem to be of excellent flavor.  It masks the flavor of the meat, and you don't care what that tastes like.
no clue how to do this

Offline Groundpounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
kctreeman, Never had that problem except around the hocks. And the front shoulders always get a little more salty.I think it helps too if you trim the fat off the meat before you freeze it.

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
I treat it the same as deer.  Quarter it, let it age in a ice chest under ice for several days then cut it up.

Always works for me.

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
I just happen to stop by Navajo Bows to visit the other day and Roy said "you're just in time". Just in time for what? He had a nice big smoker going out back of his shop and had a pig he had shot a few days before cookin!! 8 hrs at the right temp and it was ready. He just quarters them and smokes the quarter whole. Let me tell you.. talk about good!!! Some BBQ sauce to go on the meat with some baked beans and potato salad.. yum.. and this was a big one, I think he said 180#... I asked him if the size matters as to taste and he told me "I've never had a bad one in 20 years".
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
I knew they had to be good. Wild pork, how could it not be? Anybody can ruin anything, sounds like it's the same as all cooking - it has to be done right. I really envy you guys/gals that get to hunt them. In the Spring no less. I could have hunted them today.....
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Wild pig is very tasty and fairly lean-I give it a lot more cooking time than domestic pork. Don't let people tell you about bacon-there isn't any.
Crock pot or dutch oven works great.
BBQ sausages-gonna' have some in about an hour-they are wonderful.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
made mild Italian sausage from this one, got a 45 pounder the next day and put hams and back strap in the crock pot with some chicken broth, the rest we BBQ'd. Wild hog can be very good treat it like your deer meat, get it cleaned and iced down ASAP..only have 2 packs of sausage left, time for a hog hunt??      

Offline poison arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
If it's a boar with testies the meat is tough and real gamey tasting don't much like it. Luckly there are quite a few castrated hogs around here. I cooked a wild hog right next to a farm raised domestic hog last year. Everyone at the party commented on the wild hog tasting better than the domestic. Wild hogs have darker meat and are leaner and have a nice not to heavy game taste. Then there are the wild hogs that are trapped fatten up for a year before slaughter. They loose a bit of the game tast and get pretty fatty. Mmm I am hungry, luckly I have some hog grilling as we speak.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
If you want to eat a boar cut a small slice off of the ham near the balls.Fry it outside on an old skillet you don't mind throwing away if it is bad you will smell it right away if not process as others have stated not great but O.K..Lean wild sows eating acorns are great not a pure pork taste but very good.I like to mix a wild pork roast and deer roast together they complement each other.Kip P.S.Keep in mind about testing a boar outside.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©