3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great Plains bows  (Read 329 times)

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
Great Plains bows
« on: April 25, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Never owned one. Looking at a 3 pc Cazador. Wanted to hear likes and dislikes of the Great Plains bows. Thx, Paul<><
Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Great Plains bows
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
'kid, Bill and the boys build great bows, no doubts! Also stands behind his work. I've never shot a cazador, but have shot his longbows and one piece recurves.

But, like any bow, you need to shoot or try one yourself! See if you can shoot one!

Good shootin,

Steve

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
I had a SR Swift, great bow, fast, silent and it loved a heavy arrow.......I traded it off..   :banghead:  But I have made mistakes before and will again!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
Paul

You can't find better set of people than Bill and Linda Forman. Great bows!

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
They are top shelf.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Ya I have shot several and they have all been excellent in every way!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
Excellent quality great shooting bows! Craftsmanship is right up there with all the best of em out there. I just sold this one only because I needed funds for another project. I'll probably regret it but..thats life!

I reckon so

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
I shoot the 3 piece Rio Bravo and absolutly love it.Fast,quiet,and smooth.Was temping to buy the 1 listed in the want adds on the site made of birdseye maple.Hope this helps.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 01:01:00 AM »
First bow was a Rio Bravo.. It was a little heavy so I sold it and have regretted it since. Must have had 5 people tell me how fast it was shooting at the first 3-D I took it to. I didn't know any better but it was a hitter.
I called Great Plains for the heck of it and they looked it up in the book and told me when it was made and other details about it. That was a nice touch.
Don't think you can go wrong if the bow fits you.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
I have a SR Swift Cazador (51#@ 28").  It is 58".  I like it alot!  The craftsman ship of the bow is excellent and Bill is a great guy to visit with.  There was a review on the SR Swift in Traditional Bowhunter a while back.  It ranks right up there in speed performance too.  A very smooth bow and I love the grip.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
FYI - all of the 3RA Tommahawk Bows are made by Great Plains.  They are excellent all the way around.  H

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
I haven't shot one yet.  But do plan on owning one someday.  They are beautiful bows, and I've never heard anything bad about them.

MYSTIKBOW......yep, you'll probably regret it.  :banghead:

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
Here is my opinion. I purchased a new SR from GP that I loved. One day I had a limb blow up, well out of warranty. I called Bill to check out my options. He agreed to make me a set of limbs for
"less than normal" I wasn't sure what that meant until I got a call that they were ready to be shipped. Bill asked " how does two hundred dollars sound". I was very pleased and would recommend GP for sure.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
I have a Palo Duro and absolutely love it.

Offline Don Cottle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
I have a Great Plains Rio Bravo 66",62# longbow in almost new condition.I really like the way it shoots,it is the smoothest,fastest and quietest I have ever shot!
The problem is,I am getting older and am having trouble with pulling the bow.I don't want to stop hunting with the longbow.
Is there anyone that has a Great Plains Rio Bravo about 50-55lbs that would like to trade for this fine bow?

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
My daughter has a youth model bow coming from them. Even though it hasn't arrived yet, Bill and Linda were VERY considerate with some special requests. I like the lines of their swift (both take down and one piece), and their youth model (which appears to be similiar to a 52" Bear recurve), and I know their longbows are very nice too in all areas (shootabilty, looks, stability, quietness, and speed)...but I am not a big fan of the performance of the Model B's limb design as far as speed is concerned. I had a Model B about 15 years ago and it was a beautiful bow but I did eventually sell it. That said, it was a beautiful bow and was also quiet, forgiving and accurate. I think their swift is considerably faster than the Model B. That said, I would still rather have the Model B made by them over many other bows, as it was as accurate as anything I have owned...but maybe I was luckier back then.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
I also have a Palo Duro. Shoots very smooth. It is a confidence building bow, very reliable. Maybe not the fastest, but if the arrow goes where I want it to, speed is not an issue.

Good Luck deciding.
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »
Great to hear such glowing reports on the bows and Boyer(s). I've had the GP catalogue open to the Traditional Longbow and the SR Swift since I got it. Maybe time to stop dreaming.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 07:13:00 AM »
Don't see many on the classifieds.Must say something?

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
I have a Tomahawk Diamond SS longbow and love it made by Great Plains. It is an excellent bow, craftsmanship is excellent and over all performance is also excellent . Good luck Jerry.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©