3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: THE NEW GUY  (Read 304 times)

Offline tbwill

• Trad Bowhunter
THE NEW GUY
« on: April 25, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
hello all.
   I recently took a longbow making class with Tom Turgeon here in Ohio. It was a great class and I learned a great deal about traditional archery and the bow making process. He advised all of us to check out this site. That being said, I am completely new at all to traditional archery. I was hoping that I could get some advice from yall. What are some of the things that yall wish you knew when getting started. I have been shooting my bow at least an hour a day since I built it and I can already tell I have been getting better.  I’m just looking for tips and tricks that yall may know that could help me out. Everything from form all the way up to taking my first deer. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Also, I would advise everyone to check your  local Woodcraft stores and see if Tom Turgeon is coming. it’s a lot of fun to take his class and you end up with plenty of knowledge and a pretty sweet longbow. At least I did.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: THE NEW GUY
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
Tyler.

Welcome to one great big camp fire..    :campfire:   You will find this place to be friendly and very helpful.

You've picked up a long bow,  your life is over as you knew it.
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
Welcome to the trad archery.  You will find this place is so resourceful and many members are so helpful for almost any questions you have about archery and even beyond.  Please take time to browse the web site.  Many questions are already been answered and they are just a finger away from using the search.  Enjoy your new bow.  May be you can post the pictures of your new bow for us to enjoy too.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
Welcome to TG!! My only suggestion would be hang out in the Shooters Forum to get all the info you can on  good form, that would be your base forever and it should be right if not very close. To many variables in tradional archery to be answered at once till you are comfortable with yourself as a shooter. Read away and experiment a little here and there. It was said above and I will agree searchs will bring up many answers you have. Having fun goes along way also!

Offline tbwill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
thanks for the quick replys. I thought I would have to wait days to get a reply to my post. Tom said this site is top notch. I will look for the shooters forum.
thanks for the warm welcome JOE. I have always been a fan of sitting around camp fires.

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
watch your form and shoot as much as you can. as far as hunting, stay within a range you know you can shoot accurately and comfortably when youre heart starts pumpin. most of all have fun! congrats on building your bow by the way, its an awesome feeling. lots of guys on here willing to give advice if you decide to build more.
Richard

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
pick up a book called traditional archery by
Sam Fadala, this is a great resource on traditional archery. Also check out G Fred Asbells book Instinctive shooting. They should really help you out alot. The one thing I wished I would have known about is form. Form is the most important part of shooting other than having your bow tuned properly. Godd luck. If you have any questions just ask. We're more than happy to help.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
:wavey:

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
:wavey:  Welcome to Trad Gang
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
Welcome.  I just started 5 months ago or so.  I enjoyed BrianSorrells book called a Beginners Guide to Traditional Archery.  His method along with the Shooters Forum and help from others really helped.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline tbwill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
thanks again everyone! I never imagined that I would get this kind of attention. this is a great site and i will be recomending it to others. I have requested all three books at the library and I will have them in just a few days.

I could tell the first time I shot my bow that I was hooked. Now that I know I have some help from you great people here at TG, I know this is my new favorite hobbie!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Welcome and keep it fun!   :wavey:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
Welcome to the campfire! I'm originally from Cleveland, so an extra welcome to a fellow Buckeye!   :campfire:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
Welcome to the Tradgang family. Enjoy the journey with the rest of us.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
Welcome to the fire.And you will need to get some Buckskin boxers to start off this adventure the traditional way.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
welcome and enjoy the ride

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
tbwill ...WHERE IN OHIO.. I'm south east of New Phili. Jeff
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
Welcome aboard.
 Your getting pretty good treatment around here so far. I've been here 3 years and nobody told me about the buckskin boxers.
Enjoy!  :archer2:
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
Welcome neighbor! Been a trad for years and still learn something new every day! Lots of friendly and informative folks here! Remember the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. Enjoy the ride! Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
Welcome to the gang. Good folks here. Unlike any other place I've ever found.
Advice? Get out there and shoot! Shoot every day! Figure out what works for you and stick with it.

Shooting at game? PICK THE SPOT! If you've put your time in in practice your body and mind will know what to do, You just have to have the focus to see nothing but that one little teensy tiny spot that you want that arrow to go. If you do it right. You will bring home dinner

Enjoy the journey. It will teach you things you didn't know you knew.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©