3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Non turkey hunter is gonna try turkey hunting  (Read 328 times)

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
Non turkey hunter is gonna try turkey hunting
« on: April 25, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
All during my youth, when I learned to hunt, there were no turkey in the part of PA that I grew up. I tried it once, with a friend, in upstate Pa. but I didn't know what I was doing. In recent years, the turkey population has climbed to huntable numbers. There have been recent sightings near the property I hunt on. I have the time, so I might as well try it , right? I've got a box call, a diaphragm, some camo and a bow. I still don't know what I'm doing, but I'm gonna do it anyway!
Bret M. FullER

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Non turkey hunter is gonna try turkey hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
awesome, its nice to hear that theres a new game species thats huntable in areas near you. my method for turkeys is going to an area near where im going to hunt and close to where they roost the night before, then hit my call a few times over the course of about ten minutes. this tells the toms theres a hen in that area, and more than likely theyll make their way to where they heard it the next morning. i grew up in indiana county, pa, great turkey hunting out there, and lots of fields to spot them in when youre scouting. i usually set up on logging roads where they intersect one another or widen out as toms like these areas to stage struts and make scrapes. good luck.
Richard

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
Good luck! I have a new appreciation for hunting them now that I've done it for the first time. Wait till you get a bunch of Gobblers worked up in the Roost and you're waiting for dawn and them to fly down. Right up there on the excitement scale!!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
Don,t do it it will make you crazy .I hate them . I am always leaving the woods kicking leave with my tail between my legs.
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
Good luck! Just one warning, it is addictive!
bolong

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Careful, it is very addictive.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
I saw a wild tom romancing a group of white farmyard hens last week. The farmyard tom got his butt kicked.  Careful they are dangerous.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©