3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bowstring stretch  (Read 303 times)

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
bowstring stretch
« on: April 27, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
hey guys, have a question. When shooting a dacron b-50, (linda brackenbury 14 strand I believe), how much string stretch is expected until it "maxes out" so to speak. The one I am currently shooting....2 range sessions,approx 150 arrows total, has stretched approx 1 1/2" thus far as I had to re-establish brace height twice. Is this pretty typical for b-50??? The first two sessions went somewhat chaotic until I figured out the string was stretching as much as it was. Don't recall having one stretch quite that much before. Pretty typical.....let me know...many thanx...john
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: bowstring stretch
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
Jack, is it a recurve? What weight?

I don't know if Linda pre-stretches her strings, and if not, 1 1/2" is fairly typical stretch.

Good shootin,

Steve

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Depends on how the string was made, the draw weight of the bow, number of strands, type of material, shooting temps (higher temps = more stretch/creep), etc.  That much stretch isn't unusual with dacron--one of the main reasons I prefer HMPE materials.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 05:43:00 AM »
I usually make mine just a touch short for my bows & then string them & pre stretch them before I shoot any out of them, usually I'll get about that much out of my strings when I pre stretch em then set the BH & start shooting.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 06:32:00 AM »
i'm with chad.  

why deal with the string fiber instabilities of dacron when yer bow will be just fine - actually, definitely better - with any modern hmpe string fiber, and have almost zero stretch or creep?

i don't understand this pressing need to keep using dacron string fiber with modern bows.  is it because dacron is considered the "real deal traditional string fiber"?  there was a fair amount of resistance to switching from linen when dacron came along, too.  but what percentage of archers are using linen bowstrings these dayze?
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »
I am not sure how much stretch is normal with b-50.I won't use it on any of my bows.   ;)  I agree with Rob and see no reason not to use good materials in strings.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
Hey John, just wanted to follow up and say, if you have any real issues, call Linda and ask her.

She's made alot of strings over the years, and knows her stuff! Nothing wrong with B-50, alot of shots have been made with it!

Oh, and by the way, nice Birthday to ya!

Good shootin,

Steve

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
thanx guys...I'm not faulting Linda Brackenbury in any way, shape or form...I think it's just a "property" of dacron B-50 itself. The bows I was shooting were both recurves...1 in 47# one in 51#, both experienced the same thing. My bowyer told me the newer string materials were fine to use on his bow, so I may give them a go. Others have told me to expect more hand shock out of my bows if I go to the newer materials...I have no frame of reference to compare them yet, so I'll probably order one this week and make my own decision here....many thanks for the imput guys
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
Others have told me to expect more hand shock out of my bows if I go to the newer materials...  
Whoever told you that has it very backwards...

If you don't have any shock now, it won't improve, but the lower stretch materials are great to help tame a shocky bow.

Offline UnderControl16

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
I used b-50 on all of my new bows that i make and i experience about 1-2" of stretch but after about 50ish shots the strings are solid.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©