3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: need hog hunting info tips and what have ya!!!  (Read 685 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
need hog hunting info tips and what have ya!!!
« on: April 27, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
headed to Ray Hammonds this January, have never hunted or saw a hog in the wild in my life. would love to hear any tips, info, hunting stiries, pictures ot whatever you have to share!! i will be using my #59 Shrew with lam birch arrows and 160 snuffers, sound suffice???
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: need hog hunting info tips and what have ya!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
Ken, I think that you are going to go with Aldo from NJ.  He has been there twice already.  Hit him up for some info.  I've been there 3 times now, and was there toward the beginning of this month.  Listen to Ray as far as what pattern the pigs are following.  As it warms up, I think that they will be transitioning to the swamps.  I would have everything ready to go so that you can head into the woods as early as possible on Friday.  I'm no expert, by far, but I would find water.  The most pigs that I have seen have been doing alot of rooting in areas where the water has recently receded.  Don't forget to check out the short pines on the property, especially after the piggies are feeling a little bit of the hunting pressure.  Oh, and your setup is more than enough.  That being said, I would set up at least a couple of arrows with similar weight single blades in case you run into a bruiser.  There are a few of them down there.  Good luck.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
Check out Terry's shot placement thread at the top of the pow wow page.  Shot placement is essential for hog hunting.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
i'll give Aldo a shout shortly, thanks man!! i will be sending out MANY pm's to those of you willing to sahre info and i would love to call and talk with anyone if possible, i'm pretty jacked up about this!!!

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
Don`t stop shooting till they are dead, hard trailing in sum them thickets,..there tougher than you think
Bull

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Here y'go Ken. Get comfy, pull a cork & have a read of this lot.....

Super Duper Hog Info Thread
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
thanks Rob!!!

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
Good luck bro!  You are gonna have an awesome time in some beautiful country...nothing beats the lowcountry of SC/GA...except maybe the mountains here in the upstate...but I am a little biased maybe LOL.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Hey Ken, you trying to get an edge on the rest of Team New York???   :saywhat:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
If you are going in January Ray might suggest the grove of "short pines". That is one huge, nasty, thick, rip your clothes off, briar patch!

I got one word for you.......BRUSH PANTS!

We spent best part of the hunt in there in Feb '09. It looked like a thousand rototillers were playing tag, I mean there was not a 10' circle that wasn't torn up!

We went back in Oct '09 and caught the tail end of a summer long drought. If you can find water you will find sign. A week or so later it rained and the hogs were everywhere. We just missed them.

We didn't see more than a half dozen mosquitos on our winter hunt. The fall hunt was a different matter, the Thermocells were all fired up toward evening. And Ray has some huuuuge  spiders down in the dark places of the swamp. I bet their big webs (some were easily 10'x20') could bring down a bird! I felt like I was on the set of Jurasic Park. What a really cool place! "We're not in Kansas anymore Toto!"

We're booked for a return trip in Feb '11. We will go where Ray suggests and I imagine he will point toward the short pines again. He will then hear a collective moan from the PA Hawg Hauling Crew! No pain, no gain!   :)  

Be prepared to hunt hard, laugh hard, and eat hard!

Good luck and save a few for us.

"In the swamp no one can hear you scream!"
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
Their eyesight isn't that great but they can pick up movement fairly easy.  SUPER noses and ears.  If you encounter a rooting group try to sneak slowly in front them or whatever the wind allows.  They rarely stop long enough for a good still shot, you might want to practice on a slow moving target or one that starts and stops frequently.  Good luck.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
Ken, I was down at Ray's in March and I got just one thing to add...HOG HUNTING AT RAY'S IS ADDICTIVE!!!  Don't think you're only gonna go once!  :biglaugh:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »
Ken,

I'm kinda' in the same boat as you. I've hunted them at a golf course, but only seen two......ever. I'm going this weekend with a few doctors that will be bringing rifles. I guess I will be on my own. =0)
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 02:50:00 AM »
Mate ...keep your arrows sharp and for broadside  i'm a fan of  low and either at the shoulder crease or  just foward of it and they'll pile up just fine ...
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 04:41:00 AM »
You'l Have a great time at Rays

as above keep your shot forward. i like strait up the center of the front leg 1/3 of the way up the body on a perfectly broadside hog, Dont make the mistake of shooting too far back, they are tuff.

Pigs have a very keen Nose so play the wind, there eye's sight is not that good and every now and then you can trick them.
when stalking pigs on the ground they tend to move around a lot never really staying in one exact place for any length of time unless they are bedded, So i always say "get in as quickly as quietly possible"

if you get an arrow in one and its still standing and is still in range, then you need to still be shooting   :D
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 06:47:00 AM »
thanks for all the info guys, been reading like a mad man!! would love to see some pic's.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
Last year was my 1st attempt at hunting pigs.  I wrote a story about it.  It may help.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=074286
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hattrick:
Don`t stop shooting till they are dead, hard trailing in sum them thickets,..there tougher than you think
Not sure they are tougher then you think, just the vitals are not where you think they are, and people shoot them like a deer and do not hit vital organs extending the myth they are bullet/arrow proof.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
Hunt the wind and don`t think about not hunting the wind.If you encounter pork...stay very low and try to get ahead of them while headed closer. I believe every minute that goes by after your under 40 yards your chances lesson because the wind down south NEVER holds for long.Keep your shots low and forward. I will shoot a small pig at any angle with the space between the front elbows the target. But 70 lbs and up they gotta be broadside or quartering away.

The biggest mistake I make and I make it often is trying to get closer. When your in your comfort zone and you have a shot ...SHOOT. I run off a lot of pigs trying to get a couple more steps on them. Then when they are gone I step it off at 15 yards or so from where I could have shot. You`ll spook a lot of pigs trying to get 5 more yards when your already inside 20.
 Most of all have fun. You`ll learn more in a trip with Ray than you would on 10 trips hunting on your own.RC

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
not to hijack. readin this with intreast as I have a up coming hunt here in Ar. When killing hogs during the summer, I assume they are still good to eat as long as they get cooled off pretty quick??? I have killed them in fall and winter but have heard from locals not to eat them if killed during the hot months..   :confused:  thanks alot Dave
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©