3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Maine Moose Hunting  (Read 431 times)

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
Maine Moose Hunting
« on: April 28, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
I've done extensive research but a lack of familiarity whatsoever with Maine leaves me baffled as to where to apply. I'd like to apply for a Sept. season, so that narrows my search down some.

The North Woods districts all have the highest number of permits and success rates but are they accessible by any other means besides waterways?

Is there plenty of public land/access? I'm not wanting to hire an outfitter and I don't particularly want to pay someone a trespass fee.

Does anybody have any experience, and if so, any advice on tactics, gear, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Maine Moose Hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Theres plenty of land in the northern part of the state like up in the Allagash region.North Maine Woods permits for daily or weekly access should run you about 10.00 a day give or take to hunt timber company lands.Lot of moose up there but if theyre pushing to reduce the herds in your zone there will be a LOT of competion.Zones 1,2,3 are my favs.Lots of grouse too which frankly are a lot more fun although not as tasty as a moose.

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, Izzy. How do I know if they are pushing to reduce the herd in a specific zone?

$10.00 per day is very reasonable, how do you get in contact with specific timber companies to set up the deal?

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
There's plenty of roads up there.In fact I was surprised how many roads were up that way.

There are gates set up to pay daily.At least where I was in the Jackman-Rockwood area there was.Not sure about the Allagash region.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Do they keep records at each gate as to how many people are accessing a particular area?

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
I would imagine,as you have to give them your name and plate # everyday you enter.We stayed the whole day,sunup to sundown so I don't know if you have to pay everytime you cross the gate.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
I should add that not every area has a pay gate.We were accessing the golden road,and there was a pay gate to access that particular area.There is a TON of area you don't have to pay to use.The only areas that are off limits are areas that are being logged at the imediate time.

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Great information vtmtnman! I greatly appreciate it.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
If you contact Eldon Jandreau at Hunter's Point he can tell you exactly what you need to do. If you saw the latest edition of TBM on the trophy page the moose that was taken by Todd Gregory and he was guided by Eldon....as was the bear in the same spread. His website is right under my post.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Thanks you for the link Bill, but I would feel as if I'm taking advantage of his expertise unfairly because I have no intention of hiring an outfitter.

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
Dusty
Here's the website you need
  www.mefishwildlife.com

Get your permit first, I think only 10% go to nonresidents in a lottery system and deadline is soon, if not over.
I've got a camp on the north end of Moosehead lake. Plenty of moose all around. The biggest expense will be gate fees and fuel. Rent will be a roast

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 05:53:00 AM »
I think I read the stats on these moose lottery hunts last year??? If I recall right there has "never" been a Non-Res drawn for a moose tag in that state??? Please correct me if I am wrong?? But that is how I remember reading it??
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 06:32:00 AM »
I drew a tag 3 years ago and shot a cow.Non residents are definately able to apply and draw and do so every year.

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »
My mistake?? I was looking at stats they had posted on their site on the lottery last year ( for the last 10 yrs).. Showed the # of Residents that drew taggs and the # of moose killed... It had a slot for Non Resident and had Zeros for the past 10 years for the lottery??? Guess they didn't finish filling it out??? Don't see the stat on their web page this year??
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline dpg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Your first big hurdle is getting a permit.  Your odds as a nonres are extremely low.  But if you don't apply, you'll never get one.  That being said, the early season is better (the rut) and the northern units have a great population.  You can also try to trade permits for a different area/season after you've been drawn (all legal).  This year's application process is over with the drawing in June.  I will second Bill's recommmendation to call Eldon Jandreau- if you draw, it would be well worth your money to go with a guide like him- he knows the area and what it takes to get you close.

Offline dpg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
Correction: You can still apply ONLINE until May 15.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by String Cutter:
I think I read the stats on these moose lottery hunts last year??? If I recall right there has "never" been a Non-Res drawn for a moose tag in that state??? Please correct me if I am wrong?? But that is how I remember reading it??
I drew one 4 years ago.....tough draw but it does happen
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:

Originally posted by String Cutter:
I drew one 4 years ago.....tough draw but it does happen [/b]
You can call Eldon, but I think he's booked up for 5 or 6 years.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Dick Langer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
I drew 9 years ago after putting in for 20 years .I also hunted with Eldon.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
Lots of land, lots of campsites and lodges.  Don't know what the ratios of out of state applicants to draw is but there is no real prefrence point system.  Over time you earn more "tickets"  Been applying for twenty years and no tag yet.  Know some who have been drawn several times.  Good luck if you try.  It is beautiful country.  The further you get away from the main roads, the fewer people you will see and the more moose you will find. Most people hunt in large groups cruising the roads looking for a moose to shoot near the road for easy loading.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©