3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw weight for a Newbie  (Read 445 times)

Offline bearsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw weight for a Newbie
« on: April 29, 2010, 04:41:00 AM »
I am in college and have shot bows my entire life. I now comfortably shoot a 64# Bowtech Destroyer compound @28". I briefly shot a 50#@28 bear montana last weekend at cabelas and it seemed pretty comfortable.

I am looking to get into traditional archery and would like to buy a quality bow up front. I have read some things about the virtues of starting with a low draw weight. So my questions are:

What draw weight would you recommend? I would like to buy one bow and keep it for awhile and eventually hunt with it.

My actual draw length seems to be about 27.5 inches what length bow should I consider? I am fond of reflex/deflex longbows. Also what arrow length?

Are there any bows that you would recommend.

I apologize for another newbie post but I have really been struggling with the draw weight question and would love some help!
What man is a man who does not make the world better.

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw weight for a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 05:28:00 AM »
I would say nothing over 45#,lots of good bows on the classifieds,try to shoot as many as you can before buying.Bob Lee makes a great bow,Black widow,ACS,the list is long.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 05:36:00 AM »
Welcome and good luck on your trad adventure.  I'm new here, too and I second carpenter's remarks on shooting whatever you can get your hands on.  I read a recent thread about folks favorite bows and it was a really long and varied list.  It seems that most people have unique enough bodies, draws, hands, etc. that one bow would be great for them, but might not be comfortable at all for you.  If possible try shooting some bows with different styles of risers as well as different components.  I shot a friend's bow that has bamboo core laminations and wow was it smooth.

Best of luck

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 05:56:00 AM »
Personaly I wouldn't go over 45lb for a first stringbow,reguardless of what one shoots in a compound.

For the average deer sized critter 45lb has plenty of what you need.

I also wouldn't recommend trying to buy your first bow with the idea of making it a long term thing.

The reasons for that is that once you get more into this thing,your unlikely to be satisfied with your first bow for to long,and tastes do change a lot for some people as they both get better themselves and develope the "I wants" for other bows.

Totaly personal thing of course,but some of us have that "I want" thing real bad.

All the best,
ED.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
I tend to agree with the others as far as sticking with your first bow. However alot of us would probably be better off if we would. We may shoot better and it deffinitely wouldn't cost us as much.

As for draw weight you are probably alright with a 50 lber. If you're only pulling around 27" that makes it roughly a 47 lber. As for arrow length several things come into play when deciding that. Style of shooting, draw weight and other things determine your arrow lentgh and spine.

Now to answer your main question if I could have only one bow it would be a Crow Creek Black Feather by Elmor Patten. I can say that though because several bows have made their way through my hands. I still own others also but every Crow Creek from now on that finds it's way to my home will stay here.

Welcome to the traditional side of archery. Stick with it and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Paul<><
Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Offline bearsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 07:22:00 AM »
Thanks for the help, I've been looking pretty hard at a martin savannah either a 45# or 50#. Seems like they can be had for under 300 and are a quality bow that shouldn't be too hard to offload later if need be.
What do you guys think in the used sub 300 range?

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 07:31:00 AM »
Set up your compound to shoot w/ fingers!
Practice w/ that and you trad bow.You will find the transition from release shooting to fingers a lot easier.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with the Montana for your 1st bow, that's what I started with and really like it. Its quiet and packs a punch! I personally found it quieter and much less hand shock than the Savanah.
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
my opinions ...

read  THIS  first.

it's *always* best to seek local one-on-one help with a knowledgeable trad archer/bowhunter.

if you want to learn, or be more proficient shooting trad, put the compound away and don't use it all.  

for a newbie adult male, 45# holding weight stickbow tops - you want to learn form, and the low holding weight will always be helpful even after getting a higher weight bow.  unless there were physical issues, i would advise going less than a 40# holding weight as too light a weight can introduce string release problems.

the arrow is more important than the bow - read that again.  arrow selection needn't be all that critical, go with carbons or alums and stay far away from woodies.

enjoy the journey.    :wavey:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
anything in texas can be had with 45lbs. i shoot 46 just to be safe

Definitely do the classifieds for your first bow... i bought new my first time and have sold and traded 3 or 4 times until i found exactly what I wanted. If I wouldn't have bought new to begin with I wouldn't have lost any money in the trades or sells.

So find a 45 lbs bow that interests you, buy it as you learn more and try more sell it ( usually for close to the same price), buy something else used to try, and eventually you will end up with a bow that fits or you know what you want to get custom made.

Oh yeah, don't get too caught up in the whole try every bow thing. Yeah its fun to shoot every bow and there are hundreds to try but really and truly its the shooter that matters. Find one thats comfortable and aesthetically appealing to you and  BAM! fling some arrows.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
From reading a lot of well known archers comments & my own experience in the draw weight & bow length catagory, I would suggest the bow weight be no more than 40-45 pounds & the longest bow that you can get because for a new person in Traditional shooting & shooting with fingers the lighter bow weight will help in form training & the longer bow will reduce possible string pinch which can deter some new shooters.

I would suggest the first bow be a used bow because as the new archer progresses & becomes more proficient & their needs change the less cost of a used bow will help in getting used to shooting & what not, the person can then see what their next bow should be based on thier requirements or wants.

I still have my old 45* Bear Grizzly {cir. 72'} that my grandfather bought for me in 1981, I always seem to go back to her.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
I agree with most said here.  I would NOT go over 45# for first bow.  I would NOT buy a new bow.  You will go through a few, and your shootin' will change.  What you think you like now, you may not care for after shootin' Trad a few months.
  There's plenty of good bows out there.  I got back into Trad shootin' after pickin' up an old Shakespeare 45# recurve for $75.  Still have it, still like it, but it has been turned into my fishin' bow.
  Start cheap, try alot, and have fun.  That's what it's all about.    :goldtooth:

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
40-45
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline bearsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
Are you guys talking 45# @ 28? I believe my draw is about 27 inches (28 on compound) so would a 50@28 be close to 45 @27 and therefore be acceptable?

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
Get yourself something of moderate price used in 50#@28 and you'll pull 47#@27, get it set up right with some carbon and work on form. Try to get with somebody that knows what they are doing to help you. Try to go to some of the big shoots and check out the vendor booths and along the way look at and shoot as many different bows as you can, Over time you will figure out which way you want to go with higher end equipment. Keep the original bow and use it for fishing
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
bearsniper.  50#@28 would be about 47-48#@27. There's a good chance you might lose more than an inch of draw length moving from a compound to a stickbow, particularly a longbow that has a fairly straight grip.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by bearsniper:
Are you guys talking 45# @ 28? I believe my draw is about 27 inches (28 on compound) so would a 50@28 be close to 45 @27 and therefore be acceptable?
i'm always talking HOLDING WEIGHT at yer draw length - arrow length don't matter one bit.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Muleyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
I'm pretty new so take what I say with a grain of salt. I to shot compounds,72# and started with a 55# bear recurve.  I had a 29"draw and had my elbow bent, now I shoot a 53# longbow with a 28" draw(and thats what I draw with it) Don't  think your any less of a man cause you draw 45# not 64#. If I found this site before I bought my first recurve it would have been shooting a 45# bow and I would of worked my butt off withh my form , now I have to retrain myself on form and release. These guys know what you need take it all in. and thank them in the morning....my 2cents
"LUCK"
When preparation meets opportunity

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 01:01:00 AM »
David Sent you a PM - you might want to post over on Texasbowhunter.com - bet you can find somebody to shoot with or a trad shoot within reasonable distance to check out a number of bows. Don't have to go the custom route first go round - but there are some good options for used customs that are affordable.

As far as weight - I just started a couple months ago, and my draw length actually increased from what it was with a compound once someone worked with me on my form. I bought a #49 bow @ 28, and am getting aout 51-52 out of it. Stepping up to 55 or so for my next one.

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
just to add - finding someone to shoot with that knows what they are doing early on is a huge plus - I had someone helping me with my form from the moment I got into the shop - really helped advance my abilities without having to relearn a bunch of stuff.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©