3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: South Dakota spring turkey with a bow  (Read 162 times)

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
South Dakota spring turkey with a bow
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
A question for you guys from South Dakota.  I'm headed to the Black Hills on Monday morning hunting outside of Rochford.  I was wanting to take the long bow for the hunt but I think I may have bought the wrong license.  Am I correct, does  South Dakota have a seperate license for an individual hunting with a bow?  I see the dates for spring archery are the same for the general spring turkey season. Any clarification would help.  I know I could call out to South Dakota but I'm sure someone on here will steer me straight.  I have a Black Hills spring turkey license.  Unit-type BST-BH1-32
Al

Offline buzzcut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: South Dakota spring turkey with a bow
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
South Dakota has a spring archery license, which is good for most of the state.  It is not valid in a couple of counties and Custer State Park in the Black Hills.  It is good for the normal black hills areas.  They also have a Black Hills Turkey license which you can also purchase.  Check their website for all the details.

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Al,

I would call to make sure, but I believe you are able to use any legal equipment with your general turkey permit. If you had an archery turkey tag you would be limited to legal archery equipment only.

Sean

Offline Jim Dahlberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
You can hunt with any legal weapon for turkeys in the Black Hills.  So if you have a Black Hills tag you can hunt with rifle (????), shotgun, muzzleloader and archery equipment.  You can also purchase an archery only tag which allows you to hunt in any open turkey area in South Dakota.  You will have a great time in the Rochford area.  The hens are starting to stay in their nests and the gobblers are REALLY searching for love!  Be sure to tell everybody how BAD the hunting is in the Black Hills. LOL.

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Jim, thanks for the reply. The South Dakota DNR site doesn't really explain it.  I didn't think as liberal as South Dakota laws are you could not not hunt with a bow.  Hunted in the same area three years ago and killed a bird that year.  Still not sure what species I killed.  Combo. of Rio, Eastern, Meriams.
Al

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©