3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kansas Osage  (Read 4380 times)

Offline Titanbow_SC

• Trad Bowhunter
Kansas Osage
« on: July 18, 2006, 11:35:00 PM »
About where in Kansas could a person find osage growing?  I recently moved to Colorado, and I figured I'm 6 hours or so from osage country.  I am looking for a place to maybe harvest some staves.

Thanks,
Titan

Offline Kindred Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kansas Osage
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 12:12:00 AM »
There are plenty around Fort Riley, Ks
Aim Small, Miss Small

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »
Check just about any farm and you will find it.  I know is in the Eastern part of the state all over the place.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 06:33:00 PM »
Titan, I'm in the eastern part of the state. Here it is also called hedge ,I have about 400 acres of owned and rented land and it is an on going battle to keep it down.If you want to cut some your always welcome. If you tell me what size, and how you'd like handled I;ll be happy to send you what you need if you pay shipping. I have a nieghbor with a kiln that will dry it if wanted.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline R. Cinadr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 04:53:00 PM »
Ben; Do you hace access to a large saw (band saw) for cutting osage boards?? Ray - Lenexa.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 08:02:00 PM »
Ray, Yea,I have a nieghbor with a full work shop. I'm only about 35 miles south of you. Send me a pm and I'll give you my phone number. We'll set a time and you can come down, grab a chain saw and you can pick your new bow stock.  Ben

Offline T.Ed.Avery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 07:02:00 PM »
Ben, I'm in Lenexa too. Brand new to the site and brand new to the idea of an osage selfbow. Let me know if you need any more of those pesky thorn trees removed.

Ray, I'm in old town. Nice to know there's another in Lenexa. Tom

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 09:46:00 PM »
Tom, Your welcome to come also, same as Ray just pm or e-mail me and we'll go cut. Ben

Offline brmize

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
I always think about you bowyers whenever I drive by a huge mangled pile of recently bulldozed hedge(Osage). What a waste.

Brian
"After we've lost a natural place, it's gone for eveyone-hikers, campers, boaters, bicyclists, animal watchers, fishers, hunters, and wildlife-a complete and absolutely democratic tragedy of emptiness."  Richard Nelson

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
Lenexa also, and hedge (osage)is everywhere!!
Mel Riley

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
Mel you get that osage finished before leaving Mojam?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline ejes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
Titan, I've lived in every quartered corner of the state except the SE since I entered the world 38 years ago and I can tell you I've seen it everywhere here.  Even on my visits to SE KS woods, I've seen it there.  In western KS, where I actually grew up, it was commonly planted in windbreaks to block the snow and to use as fence posts.  You might find them along creeks and streams out that way, but more often in the windbreaks.  Up here where I live now, you can find it in almost any wooded area.  I noticed that Wildlife and Parks spend a considerable amount of money clearing a batch of it last year from a section of land up on Perry lake.  You might give them a call and see if they have any projects close to your side of the state and if you couldn't help yourself.  The regional office is in Pratt, KS:  (620) 672-5911

These folks might be able to help ya too:   http://www.kansasforests.org/community/program.shtml

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »
Mickey, still have a little scraping before the long string, but getting close.
Mel Riley

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
If you can't find hedge in Kansas You ain't got your eyes open. LOL. If

If You can't find hedge in Kansas You don't have Your eyes open. LOL .If Ben can't fill Your order holler. If it didn't make such good fence post it would be on the noxius weed list.bretto

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
Cool..did you narrow it some?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
Yes - as if I know what I am doing.  I just hope it does not snap and bean me in the forehead the first time I draw it.  :knothead:
Mel Riley

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
osage is tuff stuff and yours looked real clean. You'll be fine although I'd wear your motorcycle helmet the first time just in case   :biglaugh:

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
Titan, check with your local utility company.  Someone from their tree department will know where a hedge row is located.  I'm pretty sure I seen some around Canon City and Pueblo.

Irish, I made a tiller tree tonight.  Come on by.  I've about got a MOJAM bow ready to shoot.

Offline flinch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »
You can recognize Osage Orange by the large grapefruit size green apples on them in the early fall; or laying underneath them.  The Indians that used Osage generally rubbed them with a piece of leather to warm them up before stringing them in cold weather.  This was impressed on me by Mr. LeRoy Young of Neet Archery.  He strung up an Osage longbow he had made many years before so I could shoot it.  Wish you luck.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 01:54:00 AM »
I'm going home this weekend to cut some down for staves and lams. Can't wait to get his stuff on the ground and drying process started.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©