3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Refinishing An Older Bow...  (Read 1360 times)

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
Refinishing An Older Bow...
« on: January 08, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
I just picked up an older custom bow that has a shiny slightly dinged up finish.  It has great wood and would look fantastic with a new satin all over finish.  Is it possible to re-finish a bow to include the limbs?

Is this something a person like me with absolutely no woodworking talent could undertake, or would it be better to see if the bowyer who built it would do it?
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Refinishing An Older Bow...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
It's absolutely possible.  The real question is what was used for the original finish?

Can you give us the bowyer?
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
Tim Finley, Kota Bowhunting Co. Your guess is as good as mine as to what the finish is...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Odds are it's some variation of Fullerplast.  You should probably call Tim and confirm that, though.

The key is removing the old finish without changing the bow.  That means lots of time with medium grit sandpaper and a close eye to be sure you aren't sanding into the fiberglass.

If you are comfortable with detail work, you can absolutely sand down the old finish, clean the bow well and apply a satin poly.  I would ask Tim what he would charge for a refinihs, myself.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the info & advice Jeff.  I was a mercy pass in HS shop, so obviously the smart play is to get ahold of Tim. He only lives 30 miles south of my farmstead, so he's easy to find.

This is a very pretty bow with an extremely comfortable slim grip.  The riser is a dark wood with beautiful grain (maybe Coco) and what looks to be light walnut accents, and Elm limbs with beautiful wavy grain...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
Sounds like a great bow!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 06:48:00 AM »
Emailed a pic to Tim, he says it looks like a lousy re-finish job, not his work (I really didn't think so, judging by the Kota Bows I've seen).  Waiting to hear back if he will re-finish the re-finish...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©