3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I seem to attract the ladies!  (Read 475 times)

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
I seem to attract the ladies!
« on: April 30, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
No, it isn't my good looks, cause I don't have any. The females I am talking about are turkeys. I haven't had any luck attracting a legal bird (in Iowa that is any bearded turkey in the springtime), but have had hens walk right in and purr at my decoys, scratch the ground, and feed all within 20 yards of my blind.

Obviously, my blind and decoys are working. My calling is good enough to bring in hens and keep them around, why do the toms and even the jakes resist? This is my first year of turkey hunting and it has been nothing but frustration so far.

Any secret advice? My cousin has been hunting with me, and though he has killed a number of birds in the past, he is having similar luck. He has seen toms, but they won't come closer than 65 yards. He just bought a Pretty Boy/Pretty Girl decoy set. They look great to me, but the turkeys seem less than impressed. I have a cheap hen and jake decoy set. I have moved away and looked back at them and it is scary how real they look. Why only hens? Arrgh!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline korn stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I seem to attract the ladies!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
Just keep hunt'in.... it'll happen....

Your doing everything right...

With turkeys it's all about being patient....

Hang in there, sooner or later the girls will be dragging a Tom behind them!
Doug

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
I would love to get the hens in my area to come close to my set. Right now the toms are all hen-pecked. As soon as they fly down they gobble for a hour or so then hen up and I cant get them away from the bird in the hand so to speak. If the hens would come in they would bring the gobblers with them. As it is now the hens come within 50 yards or so of my calling set and lure the toms away. Hard to beat the real thing.

Sounds like you are at the end or the very begining of the breeding cycle. But usually the toms come in better, looking for that first/last hen to breed with. At least that has been my observation. I am hoping the breeding here starts to taper off this week so I can get more toms to come in and have a look.

Keep at it and good luck

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
Ever go to a bar on ladies night? What do you see mostly men looking for the females. Keep the hens close and the boys will be there soon.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline White Oak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
swp is right. Where you find the girls you will eventually see the guys. Hang in there. It sounds like a good thing waiting to happen.

Good Luck,
                         Ed

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©