3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Missed a bird, now what?  (Read 260 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
Missed a bird, now what?
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
I missed a nice tom this morning.  After the shot, he ran back to where he came from.  Should I move on to a new area or keep hunting this spor for my last three days of the season?  I missed him at 6:00 am.  He was all alone and came into my Jake Mobile and a breeding hen.

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Missed a bird, now what?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
Turkey's have pretty short term memory.  If you have plenty of birds to choose from and you like your set up stay put.  Every day is a new one with turkey's.  One day they will come in the next.  Well let's just say there's always tomorrow.
Al

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
Not much time left? Try ,try, try again! just change your set up just a little and get after him!!!! If he thinks he's in love, he'll throw caution to the wind........just like alot of us.......lol!!   :biglaugh:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline MSwickard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
Hey at least your set-up worked.  How far was your shot?  I know it's tough when we miss but keep after it.  Get another tom in and have at it.

Mike

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
Okay I missed him at 5 yards.  I shot high, right over his head.  I know it is not much time.  We only get 5 days per season in WI to hunt.  Wed-Sun, which stinks if you have to work early.  I have been lucky and told my principal I maybe a little late for a few days.

Offline MSwickard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
I feel your pain.  Still have time left....just regroup and get after it.

Mike

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
How far do I need to move to change things up on this bird?  Also, would you use the decoys or not?

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
WIteacher...

One year I called in 3 mature toms on the first morning for my Son, Son-in-law and myself. My Son shot one (we were hunting with shotguns back then) and my Son-in-law knocked some feathers out of a second one.

Two days later I called the same two birds in and my Son and I got a "double" (killed both birds with simultaneous shots). The second encounter with them... they came in silent. One gobbled initially, a long ways off, but were silent after that. Don't be surprised if he sneaks in silently to carefully check things out.

Yeah... I think you can still kill him. As suggested set up a little different... not in exactly the same place. Set your decoys near the top of a rise and position yourself where you can shoot as he approaches (if you have an idea).

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Teach, I feel you pain, but not to rub it in.......  Well, I got a Buffalo Cty 25 pounder last Sunday at 5 yards.  Died right on top of a morel.

Good luck,

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Get back out there and try and miss another one  :bigsmyl:    :laughing:
Jeff Couture

Offline Kurt Miller

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Keep your chin up.  I know the pain of a 5 yd miss just last week.  Haven't had a second chance yet. Hope you get one with such a short season. Good luck.

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Stay the course.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Neutron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
I missed one 3 times with my recurve, first time I have shot at one with a trad bow. First two shots went a little high. The arrow I should have used had red and white fletching and I was afraid it would cause him to lock in on me.  The initial one went right by his throat.  The birds still would not leave but just moved further out. I was not in a blind just in leafy camo sitting in a chair next to a tree branch shooting a black quinn.  Too windy to set up the blind. The third shot I walked off (an hour later after they finally moved out of sight) and it turned out to have been about 45yds. and the arrow passed just under him.  If he had been 2 yds closer he would have been in trouble.  He actually walked around in a circle and came back and pecked at my arrow.  I plan to hunt the same spot and move about 50 to 100 yds down the tree line and set dekes up in a different pattern. Had a jake and a hen and he came to kick the jake.  I will use a fan and a hen or something next time.  Your bird might come in again but might be slower about it.  I had to wait about 2 hours for these birds to come all the way in.  I had spooked them going in and they still came back.  I was going to give up after about 45 min or so and I started to step out into the wheatfield but looked down the treeline just before I did and there was a gobbler in strut about 100yds.  Then they went up on a hill and watched my dekes for a long time and he strutted a lot.  Finally the hens that were with them came over towards my dekes.  I could not hear them because of the wind I really don't know if they could hear my calls for sure until they were within 30 yds when I could hear them gobble.  Be patient and try the best spot that you know there are birds.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
That brain of theirs is the size of a walnut and most of it is optic nerve. He's already forgot what happened and is cruising for ladies as we speak. Don't overthink it and just set-up in the best area you got! Find your inner relief pitcher: shake off the game tie-ing home run and give the next one a fastball in the earhole!
Mike Davenport

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
If I feel I have blown a promising set-up or even if I go back to the same set-up the next day; I will change the type of calls I use. I will change out all calls in my vest for a contrasting one of the same type. Also, may change the cadences and type of turkey talk used on the previous day. There is absolutely no best answer unless the birds happen to like your subtle modifications to your set-up and calling. I learn something new each year and have come to the conclusion that I still know nothing.
Good luck.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Arrowhead80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
One word. SHOTGUN
Possum the other white meat

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©