3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY Moose?  (Read 382 times)

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
DIY Moose?
« on: April 29, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
I've been doing DIY Elk for 15-16 years so I know what a DIY camp/hunt is all about.  What are my location options for a do-it-yourself Moose hunt without spending 10 years on a waiting list?  Are there any places left where I can get an OTC license and not need a guide?  Not that I am dead set against a guide or an outfitted camp but from my admittedly brief search it looks like the minimum I am going to spend is around $5K.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY Moose?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
I believe Ontario has some pretty reasonable options for semi-guided - basically established camp w/ a camp helper who can point you in the right direction. You could do that without much additional expense considering your proximity

Other than that, It's luck of the draw, or trying to do DIY in AK - which will probably run you in the $5K range once you factor in airfare, bush flights, and gear rental. . .

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Northern Quebec is OTC...or so legend has it.

AK can't be DIY because non res have to be guided I believe.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
I think Txnrog has it summed up pretty well Pete.  I haven't done either of them, but have researched the possiblities.  The Ontario option is good in that you wouldn't need to worry about all the camp stuff in most cases.  Moose hunting up there any place that you can drive to is iffy since any moose within reasonable distance of a road gets hammered.  Flying in to a fishing camp that offers moose hunts as a side line is pretty reasonable.  
Alaska would be an incredible trip, but is a logistical challenge, not only for all the gear you would need but for dealing with the meat if you do put a bull down.  But it certainly can be done with good planning.  There are quite a few operators that offer drop camp type hunts with the camp and sometimes even food provided as part of the package.  Like anything, you pretty much get what you pay for, and the cheapest option is usually not the best.  Lots of research and references will go a long way toward a good trip.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
vtmtnman, the last I knew, AK was OK self guided for moose.  Guides are required for sheep, goats, and grizzlies I believe.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
Unless they changed it in the last couple of years Alaska does NOT require a guide for hunting moose (or caribou) for nonresidents, but it does for the big bears, sheep, goat, etc...

Travis

by the way Idaho has some pretty reasonable areas to draw a moose tag (as far as odds go, but they are pricey for a nonresident if they draw, a little over a thousand dollars)
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
Thanks Guys,

I'm just getting started in my quest for knowledge/research so any and all suggestions will be looked at.  I agree Joe, though Alaska would be an incredible trip, the logistics of the place are daunting.  I have been looking at the Maritimes also though I'm not sure yet if a guide is required.  From what I understand New Brunswick has a very high moose population.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Im not sure but I think for non-residents in Canada you need a Guide for all big game, again not certain.

I do know that you could do a self guided hunt in Alaska for a lot less then has been mentioned. I would think for 5-6 grand you could easly do a moose hunt. Thats including everything, except taxidermy. m2c

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
I believe Canada does require a guide, or rather, your license to be purchased thru an outfitter. . . the term 'guide' is fairly loosely interpreted.

I have looked into New Foundland significantly - sounds like you can do that for the $3500 range + travel. BUT if you want to get back into areas that hold larger moose, you're looking at the $5-6K range.

House, Idaho is now a little over $2K for a tag + you have to buy a non-refundable $140 license just to put your name in the hat. Moose is high on my list, and I'm in the apps for CO,WY,& ID. . . considering how much the tag fees add up to, it makes something like Ontario or Alberta very attractive. . .

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
I have some friends in Alaska (Game & Fish).  They tell me moose is one of the most expensive things to hunt in AK because of the multiple, expensive trips to fly out gear and game.  There are some very accessible moose hunts on the miltary areas in AK but you have to draw. I was in Maine a couple years ago training some folks. They took me for a drive one evening and we saw several moose from the roads and very close!  Pretty much all of Canada's hunting for us "aliens" requires a guilde these days. I'll be making some excellent contacts in New Brunswick this July. I'd like for those to turn into a bowhunt for moose.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
vtmtnman, the last I knew, AK was OK self guided for moose.  Guides are required for sheep, goats, and grizzlies I believe.
Gotcha.  :thumbsup:  

Have a guy at work that was living up there for bit tell me if you're a non res you have to guided.Didn't know it didn't apply to moose.My bad.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
I beleive in Quebec you have to use one or more "services" of an outfitter. This past fall I hunted moose in Quebec and stayed at the outfitters lodge . The hunting was all on your own but he helped get the moose out. In Quebec it's two hunters per moose.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline AkBillyBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
I can help you with the Alaska regs, as I live in Alaska.  A nonresident does not need a guide to hunt Moose in Alaska (only for Brown Bears, Goats and Sheep).  Most of the good hunting areas close to the bigger cities or easily accessable from the road system are on a draw permit.  

You can hunt anywhere that is listed as "registration" without winning a draw permit.  But, since you are not familiar with Alaska, I would suggest either a guide or a hunting lodge that would do a drop in hunt.  

Another really good option is a drop off raft trip.  You hook up with an outfitter and they fly you to a drop point and your raft down a river.  He then picks you up down stream in "X" days.  If you shoot a Moose you can float it down stream in the raft (with lots of hard work in the shallow spots!!)

The big expense is the amount of plane rides it takes to get all of the meat out.  So, if you hunt in a remote region, you have a much better chance of success, but will pay more money.  If you do a self guided off the road system, it will cost you way less but your success rate goes way down.

Hope this helps.....AkBillyBow

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Mr. McMiller,
In addition to the information Mr. AkBillyBow provided, you will have the added cost of freezing and shipping the meat to your home.  May be a consideration with the state of today's airfares and baggage.
Best Wishes

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
Here is a link that you might find helpful.
 http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=42184

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Not much to add except to say that an Alaskan DIY hunt is not daunting in the least.  It requires lots of planning and the use of a good Air Taxi operator.  The all-in cost of a DIY hunt of extraordinary quality (the same hunt that people being guided pay $10-$15K for) can be had as mentioned above for $5K.  And remember - the big dollars above are just for the guide fee.  They don't include all of the ancillary costs of getting to and from Alaska, logistics, etc.  The true comparison is more like $13-$18K versus $5K.

You can always donate a few hundred pounds of the meat to any number of local charities in Alaska, thereby reducing the amount you have to fly back.

From 2009

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
John & the other AK guys basically summed it up for moose hunting Alaska. No guide rquired, biggest cost is for logistics, lots of otc tags available, meat care can be a pain if not prepared.

Hey John H.- Are you hunting out of Tok this fall? If so let me know and may be we can meet up if I'm not already in the hills. I think Mike was and I assume you guys are going together??
John/AK

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
John,

Yep John, Jason and I are headed back up to Tok this fall.  Hope we don't have the flu this time so we can be better company.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline CEO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
As others have said, you don't need a guide, however, some of the better areas require a drawing tag for a non resident.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
You can pull a western cow moose tag with no points as a none res. in most states.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©