3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Vintage Ben Pearson/ need help!! (pics)  (Read 228 times)

Offline Gunnar Mullins

• Trad Bowhunter
Vintage Ben Pearson/ need help!! (pics)
« on: April 30, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
SO long story short I was helping some family friends move out of their house. As i was emptying out the basement I cam across a very nice looking recurve bow. It was leaning against the wall and it was unstrung and didnt have a string with it. I went up to talk to the owner and he said that I could have it, since he knew i am into traditional archery.

The first thing i noticed was that it was VERY short. My regular recurve bow is 60" while this bow is a whopping 52"!! I also read over the markings and it has a 50# draw at 28 inches. The limbs are a little bit bent, but it still appeared to be shootable, so i took it by my trad. archery shop and got it fitted with a string, when its light out here in a few hours im going to go take it out and test shoot it, and im already having fantasies about getting good enough with this little bow and using it for elk, come september..
I was wondering if anybody has any info on Ben Pearson bows. I had never heard of them before. I would also lie to know if anybody can Identify the model of bow that it is and anything else interesting about this bow and company..
And i would love pics of anybody else's Pearsons (if anybody happens to have one also)

here are some pics.

I'd rather hold a recurve than shoot a compound

Offline Gunnar Mullins

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vintage Ben Pearson/ need help!! (pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
Oh and i forgot to mention, that the owner said that he had gotten it, roughly 40 years ago, so it is pretty old.. apparently he hasnt strung it or shot it in over 20 years!!!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
Gunnar, If you go to the bottom of this page you find the drop down menu that says:
"shoot on over to"  click it and scroll down to find the BEN PEARSON link. that should give you some info.
Congratulations and have fun.
Chuck
Or try this link
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=95;t=000001
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
Gunnar ,post it on the trad. history /collecting forum also...very knowledgeable people will help  ...i'm not one of those experts.

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
Gunnar, you have exactly what your picture says you have. It is a "BPH 52". Very nice Zebra grain in that one. With the style of the logos on the limb you are looking at an early 70's vintage. Great score.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
I don't recognize that model, but I've got a Pearson Gamester that was my first trad bow.  A fellow I worked with pulled it out of his closet and gave it to me when he found out I shot trad.  He bought it and went hunting with it but decided that a full-grown deer was too big to shoot with it then stuck it in the closet where it waited for 20 years before I came along.

Took my first trad deer with it -- yearling doe from five yards.  

It's short and light, and I shoot it well.  Pearsons were good bows.

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
I think that model the BP-H52, 7329 was made in 1969 w/ white overlays and in 1970 with no overlays......according to

http://www.archeryarchives.com/T1969.htm

There is alot of info on many bows there
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
I had one just like it. Great shooting bows. that one is a beaut!!   :thumbsup:

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
Great find. love that Zebra wood, hard to find a bow like that in that good of shape. Enjoy!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Gunnar Mullins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Thanks guys.. Yeah the bow is shooting well so far. Im very happy that i got it

Offline Xavier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Shot my BP-h52 yesterday and today, for the first time. It was a sweet shooter. It's a '69 45#. Playing with brace height I ended up at just over 8'.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »
Early 70's.  Fine bows.  I had a BPH-30 till I sent it to the range in Afghanistan.  Had a flat shelf like it looks like yours does.  Shot pretty darn well and hard though.  I didn't hunt with it but once or twice as the 55# draw was more than I wanted to deal with.  Looks like you got a nice little bow there!  Price was right too eh?
Silence is golden.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©