3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowfishing tips  (Read 177 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowfishing tips
« on: April 30, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Hi guys.

How about you guys that do this all the time, both from a boat and from shore, help ?  

Can you share any tips?  

Things ranging from equipment set ups, how (and where) to aim,  how you go about finding places to shoot, what you do with the fish if you get one (or 50), what you wear. .   all those things.

It is time for bow fishing !
ChuckC

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowfishing tips
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
I will throw in what is for me the single most important tip.  Aim Low,  if you miss aim lower.  Unless the fish is on the surface you have to aim under it.  The deeper it is the further below it you aim.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
Chuck,
   I have been looking for a few places in the area.  I heard you can get some big ones in Waunakee, you need to be in wading in the water to shoot(city Ord).  Down towards Ioxonia and Sullivan is another place where you can shoot from shore.  Mud/Chub lakes are great if you have a boat (near Waterloo).
   My set up is a PSE Yote with a AMS Pro Retreiver, carbon arrow with Muzzy point.

Time is now, to get out a do some bowfishing.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
Take more arrows than you think you need all set to go on every trip.  I suggest at least 5 back up arrows but more is better.  May bring them all back but there is no bigger buzz kill than being on the water with tons of fish and no arrows.  If you bow fish long enough you will know what I am talking about.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
Clay. .   how deep or low do you usually aim ?

Are we talking a couple feet under the fish or just below it ?

Badger,  I have heard that you CAN shoot the Madison lakes during the day if you are on the water.  The pamphlet mentions Mendota at night.
My boat is getting repaired for the time being so I am shore bound till that happens.  

Bobby.. .  I agree.  Although I haven't used more than one yet, I have three more in my truck, waiting.

ChuckC

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
I have hunted the Madison lakes from the water but I am not aware of a law that says that is the only method.

I do know that you can shoot the Madison lakes ate nite.   http://www.wibfa.com/nightbflakes.php

Also you do need a WI fishing license.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
I have been told that Madison and much / most of the surrounding area have "no dischsrge" laws meaning you cannot shoot a gun or bow.  The county itself is OK, but most of the lake is bordered by Madison.

Supposedly, if uyou are on the water (boat?) you are not in the city.  I am not an attorney and can't swear to it.  I know it specifically states that Mendota is bow-fishable at night, per the written regulation.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
Polarized glasses will make all the difference when you're out there during the day.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
As far as equiptment, I use a simple Cajun screw in drum with a fiberglass fish arrow with a Muzzy tip. I have a AMS retriever on a Great Northern strapon outfit but I like the screw in drum on my Kodiak Mag.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
I like my AMS retriever, works for me. Wouldn't leave the dock without it
Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.
The journey is the destination.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©