3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: AD Traditional question  (Read 173 times)

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
AD Traditional question
« on: April 30, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Here goes.....

I have 30" AD traditional arrows (I draw right at 28")  that fly excellent out of my 63# three piece orion longbow and I just picked up a Fox Tripple crown that is 56#.  Just wondering if I will be able to shoot the same shaft?

I currently shoot aluminum insert with 300 grain head out of the 63#er, wondering if I go up in the front to a 75 or 100 grain brass insert if I may still be able to shoot same length shaft, or if I'll need to go to the trad lites.

I know I can figure all of this out once the bow arrives, but I'm just too excited to wait and thought maybe someone out there may be currently shooting a similar set up to the 56 pounder with the AD Traditionals

Thanks for any input!

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: AD Traditional question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
well my bow will be 57# BW PCH - had a 60 pounder for a loner....I had ad's cut to 29.5" and had 175 grains plus the aluminum inserts and they flew like darts.

I would just say  - TRY THEM...play with the weights up front if you need to.

This has been the ONLY arrow I have ever shot that i DIDN'T need to fiddle with ANYTHING on the bow.

I strung the PCH and they had the knock point set already....didn't even test the brace height and they shot great....even out of other ppls bows at all kinds of different poundages.

just try it maaaaaaan

Jer Bear

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
Try it and see,I have changed the point weight on my AD's by 50 grs. on the same bow and they still hit with the other arrows.AD's seem to be more tolerant with spine then other carbons.

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
Thanks Jer-

Can these arrows really be that forgiving?  I shot 30" arrows with 300 grain head out of 63#, and you shot 29.5" arrow with 175 grain head out of 57# bow?  Hard to believe.....but if it's true I feel like I just discovered the seventh wonder of the world!

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
they seem to be - hopefully the AD TRAD GURU will chime in or PM Terry Green...that's all he uses.

jer

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
Should shoot just fine out of that bow , like Jerry said , this arrow is a very spine tolerant shaft.

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
As an experiment, I loaded up  a dozen of the Hammerheads with point weights varying from 125gr to 300gr and the stock insert, and shot them out of my Adcock 64#@31".  At 15 yards and under, they all shot within a 6" circle.  At 20 yards, I saw the effects of the heavier points.  The heavier ones had progressively lower points of impact, but the windage was the same.  I settled on shooting a 100 grain insert and a 125 grain head.  Alternately, I can shoot a 200 grain head with the stock 25 gr insert.  Full length, they weigh right around 700 grains.

I have a 53#@31" HH longbow, that I can shoot these out of, but they do hit a little left and are really too heavy for that bow.  I'm going to try some of the trad lights for it.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
Looper , you are correct , the HH would be to stiff for that style of bow(Howard Hill) of that weight  even at 31".
If you still want to shoot the 225 grain point try the HH lite or the Traditional, if you went to a lighter point the Trad lite would be fine.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
Ted,

Question sir,  I'm also looking into the AD's what would be your recommendation for a 60" 53#@29' draw Centaur?  I would like to be around 10 grains per pound of draw wt with as high a FOC that I could get.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
I would recommend the trad lite John , load the front with 100 grain brass insert and a 125 grain point

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©