3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How's Your Switch from Compounds to Traditional Going?  (Read 435 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
How's Your Switch from Compounds to Traditional Going?
« on: May 01, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Guys, I've been in archery since the mid-60's. I switched to compounds in 1975 and and 5 months into a committed transition back to recurves. I have always felt that after God and family, bowhunting has been the most important thing in my life. I had no idea, as much as I have loved archery with my compounds, what a tremendous positive and exciting journey the past 5 months have been. I can't remember being more excited about archery than I am these days! My 31-year old son, who as always been a compound shooter, is making the move with me. If you have made this switch or are making it, how is it going?

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How's Your Switch from Compounds to Traditional Going?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
I meant to write "...in 1975 and AM 5 months into a committed transition..."

How come it is so much easier to see the typo after you've passed up the opportunity to preview to post...sheesh!!?

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
I switched back in '85 haven't missed it at all.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
Bowwild,

That's pretty much my story too.  Started with a recurve in the early 60's and then went to compounds in about 1975.  Just switched back to a longbow (my first) in December.  It's been tough to get my form down but every day I can see improvement.  I shoot as much as I can now that it's nice outside, probably 40-70 arrows a day.  Any day I miss shooting I feel lost.  I think at my age (almost 61) I need to shoot just about every day to keep my muscles tuned.

All in all, I'm having a blast.  Archery hasn't been this much fun and challenging in a long, long time.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
I switched 3yrs ago should have done it 30 yrs ago.Simple is always better,To much of this to much of that ,all boils down to money period. Look at the compound world ,speed,bigracks, gagets of all kinds got to have this got to have that,but with a simple arrow and string you can do all that........
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
I started out with a Bear Grizzly in 79' & switched to compounds in 86' & now I've permenently switched back to Traditional Recurve & Longbow just last year & once I relearned my form & what I had forgotten those many years I'm having the best time in my life.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
I am a year into my 2nd time coming from compounds, first time I shot 4 years trad and about 5 years primitive and some how slipped back into compound shooting, I sold all of my wheels and have a few recurves a couple of long bows and have rediscovered my love of archery, its good to be back.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
This is my 11th year of trad only, I waisted too many years with training wheels! I feel not so far removed from my hunting now, all simplisty and love every minute of it!!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Slomo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
Started with trad in the sixties up to about 75 went to wheels for a few years and back to trad. Back to wheels when my daughters sports put a premium on my practice time. Back to trad and here to stay. There is nothing like it.

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
I switched back to recurve 2yrs. ago. My oldest son and best huntin partner (compound shooter) seen me shootin one day and said "Let me try that stick Dad". He just bought his 4th recurve last week. I shot a Kanati longbow last year and took a nice little buck with it. I'll shoot trad. untill my shoulders give out and then do what ever I have to to keep deer hunting.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
I would give you a report but its so hard to remember back that far..lol
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline barredfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Don't know........been almost 50 years.....did'nt have to switch.....never tried the compound device (Jay Massey phrase).

Jerry

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Your story and mine are very similar. I shot recurves in the late sixties thru ~1975 , then switched to compounds. My exclusive qaurry is the magnifent turkey. After harvesting 31 birds with wheelies and seeing two of my partners pursuee them with traditonal equipment over several years, I decided to switch. My compound was immediately sold two years ago. My mind was made up even though I had not tried to shot a tradional bow in over 30 years and I have never...never...looked back. The only regret is that I hadn't switched back earlier. Maybe my skill level would be much higher. The pleasure of 3 1/2" groups at 20 yards vastly exceeds my wheelie days of 10 X's in a row. Traditional archery has brought much joy to my life.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
I started with a compound in '85 and switched in '87. I never considered going back.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »
Went into a local shop about 6 months ago an the owner handed me a brand new thing he said was the smoothest drawing compound ever made.
Dang thing almost put my shoulder out.
I started shooting before compounds came along,,held out long after most others had flipped,but when I did go the compound way I was never that happy or very good with them.
I changed back to hunting with a recurve in 84,but still shot compound at a club level until about 95 when gave them up for good.
Today one of my favourite back yard games is shooting tennis balls hanging on a string at 10-20 yards with a longbow,,,it keeps me amused for hours.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline 10point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
my story is also similar,,, 61 years old. Shot a recurve up until the early 70s. About 6 years ago I returned to archery with a compound and learned to shoot that fairly well. Never stopped thinking about the recurve and bought one last fall. Started the learning process in January and thanks to this site, have made steady progress. I still have a way to go before I feel comfortable hunting with it but I am enjoying trad archery more than ever. wish I would have done this years ago.

Offline ScottV_7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Finally sold my coumpound after getting into trad 2 years ago.  My only "regret" would be getting $300 for a $1000 set-up.  Trad has really put the fun back into archery for me.  There was a boring regularity shooting my compound.  I may miss the accuracy at longer ranges but getting closer is what this is all about.
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"  
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
ScottV
I haven't completely given up my compound. Giving up the extra range (which, ironically I almost never need in the bowhunting field anyway)is tough for me.  I will hunt with a recurve at home this year for sure. I'm not sure what I'll do for an upcoming elk hunt out west though. I don't expect to be 95% confident at more than 25 yards with my recurve and will be seeking the under 20-yard shot. I'd hate to let an elk walk at 30 when I practice with my compound from 40-60 yards and know I can hit a baseball 95% of the time at those ranges. However, I'm an extremly conservative shot on game. I am bouyed though with the progress I've made since December with my recurve. At first I was in no danger of hurting my arrows by shooting at the same spot at 7 yards. Now I have to pick different spots at 15 yards or damage my arrows. I've found I can hit fletch-sized gaps between arrows now to avoid damaging nocks.  On a recent 3-D (40 targets) I surprised myself by killing the majority of the targets and most were 20-30 yards!  If I make this much progress between now and August....??  I do look forward to my first traditional kill since 1974 though!  I'm happy with my compound kills -- 20-30 yards is still close and a bow-killed deer is exciting. However, I expect to be really boogered up when I relive a 35-year memory!

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
This will be my 4th year of Trad only and ooooohhhh what a journey. Never regreted it!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
Just recently made the switch, and really glad i did. Never had this much fun letting an arrow loose.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©