3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How's Your Switch from Compounds to Traditional Going?  (Read 436 times)

Offline tradsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How's Your Switch from Compounds to Traditional Going?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
I havent made the switch quite yet since I'm not very good with my recurve (yet) but I've decided if I get proficient enough to hunt with my recurve this year and I succesfully take a deer with it, I'm selling my wheels
Fred Bear Grizzly 56" AMO 45@28
Fred Bear Montana 64" AMO 55@28

Offline Trab

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
Hey Bowwild,

I hunted for the first time in my life 4 years ago at the age of 47. I used a wheelie that year and for the next two years after that. Never did connect with a deer those three years. Some time around December of 2008, I felt a "pull" toward trying a longbow. Went out and bought one and used it last season (09) for the first time. The first live shot I took with my Montana Longbow was from 18 yards. It passed through both lungs of a buttonbuck that I mistook for a doe. I am completely enthralled with Traditional Hunting. TradGang has played a huge roll in this, allowing me to meet great people with a lot more passion and abilities than mine. Although I only used a wheelie for three years, I will never hunt with anything other thanTraditional Equipment again....I believe the fact that I connected on my first shot was no accident....that arrow must have been guided by a higher power. I can honestly say with confidence that if I never connect with another deer in my remaining years of hunting, I will not have one ounce of regret. .....the pleasure of Traditional Bowhunting is reward enough to make me REAL happy, satisfied, and blessed.....     :pray:  

Trab
“The virtue lies In the struggle, not the prize”
Richard Monckton Milnes

Mark Trabakino
[email protected]
Stormville, New York

Offline string bean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
I was going to make the switch last year but just never could get the arrow flight that I thought I should have so I put it up and it was another compound year.  This year for some reason it's like everything just fell into place and the compound is hanging in the closet and I'm ready for my first trad kill (something bigger than a coon or rabbit).  I finally go a decent size barr? hawg coming to my feeder at around 8pm for the last week so tomorrow after work  :pray:  he'll come in while there is still enought light to get a shot and possibly on video.
It's not about the kill but the experience.

Omega Royal Huntsman
Crowned Eagle
Black Hunter
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
I switched about 17 months ago. Loving it the ironic part is I own part of wheelie bow shop. But have more trad shooters using the range.

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
hey guys-
my story is similar, started with a recurve in 1974 and then went compound in 1979. had a short 2 year stint with a longbow in the 80's. so, this is my second stint with trad and I know I will not go back. my new black widow should be here at the end of the month! can't wait and feel like a kid again about archery! thanks.

Kennyb
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline mt-dew10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
I first started shooting a compound in May 2006, only to give it up in Dec. 2009.  I made the switch from compound to recurve in January 2010.  In February, I picked up a friend's longbow and instantly fell in love with shooting it.  I sold the recurve and bought a longbow and am never going to look back.  I have since learned how to tune my bow and  make wooden arrows.  My next endeavor is learn how to make my own strings.  

Looking back on compound, I just tired of the hype of having to constantly buy a new bow every year to keep up with the "proverbial Jones's".  I also got tired of all the different 'gimmicks' with sights, releases, etc.  With traditional equipment every thing is simple.  Even though traditional archery equipment appears simple, there is some serious science behind properly executing the shot.  Finally, the biggest plus for me switching is I honestly say I enjoy shooting traditional equipment over the compound.
I enjoy being a traditional archer!!

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
Switched a year ago before turkey season.  So far, two turkeys and two deer.  No more compounds and I couldn't be happier.  I learned more about archery and bow tuning in this last year than the four before that combined.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
I switched to stickbows about 12 years ago.Was not much difference after a couple months of learning how to shoot without sights.Was a lot harder to go back to sights when all I could shoot was a compound after hurting my shoulder a couple years ago.Now I will continue to shoot both in case I ever need the compound again.Sitting out the rut that season was a bit too much for me and something I plan on never having to do again.   ;)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline clemart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
who switched

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
i made the switch last summer. last fall was the most fun i have ever had bow hunting for whitetails. missed the first few deer i shot at but finally killed one. it was awesome!!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
Four years here. Dont regret it at all.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
I'm just in the infancy - shooting much more with my recurve than compound, but that's what's required to be proficient.

I am an equal opportunity archer. At least for now, I view Trad and compound as both fun ways to participate in the sport - and there are things I can do with one that I can't do with the other. I haven't hunted with the recurve yet, but will probably take it out with me when stand hunting this season. Spot & stalk for mulies and elk, I will most likely be packing the compound - I am just more confident in the range it provides me - stand hunting, I can do a little more to ensure that the range is condensed. With 10% or less archery success rate in my unit (for either species), I think the appropriate level of challenge is there with either weapon of choice. Would love to shoot an elk with my recurve, but also want to put some meat in the freezer this fall.

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
BTW, will add that shooting Trad has REALLY improved my compound shooting. I lean towards straight grips in both, so that hasn't been an issue, but shooting trad has really gotten me focusing much more on using back tension in my release, and has developed my muscles making holding a compound at full draw a breeze.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
I'm goin on my 3rd year with a Longbow and havin the most fun ever, I live it! I have shot a compound since the first time I decided to try a longbow to see if I would like it, boy do I like it! It was like a light switch, picked up the longbow and set the Compound down and never looked back!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
Txnrog is right on.  I shoot both compound and recurve these days. I'm very pleased and super-confident with my compound out to 60+ yards (on targets but I'd never shoot that far on game). I found when shooting the recurve without the wall at full-draw it had to really concentrate on active bow arm and active drawing side back muscles to make sure I had back motion in the shot. The most difficult thing was to make sure the bow arm was active so the bow moved during release. I find the first shot with the recurve, after shooting a few arrows with the compound in the same shooting session feels a little weird but then everything is good.  I suspect, while I don't want to give up the extended range for western hunts and even on some out-of-state midwest short duration hunts, I will eventually convert 100% to the recurve.  It is just so much fun and a great sense of accomplishment to shoot the recurve and I already love shooting my compound.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
35 yrs. and holding.  :D  The 2 yrs. I tried them was nothing but grief. Good Riddance!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
started shooting longbow last december while continue to shoot the wheels.

Did not noticed but eventually I was only shooting the longbow (Bear Montana) so there was no reason for me to have a compound just getting rust so I sold it and with the cash ordered a Treadway Black Swamp that arrived last Saturday, yesterday I finally shoot it and................. I could not be HAPPIER with it. I just don't see myself shooting wheels anymore
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
I started shooting recurves around the mid 50's and got serious with them in the early 60's. Got into field round tournaments in Ga. and indoor in Fl. as well as serious hog and whitetail hunting.

I didn't  switch over to compound when they first came out, waited about 3 or 4 yrs., didn't put a sight on the old Jennings Model T for about 4 yrs. Didn't go to a release until about 7yrs ago an looked through my first peep sight yr before last. I shot them up until about a month ago.

The release and peep sight is what really pushed me back into recurves. I never trusted the release and busted my lip more than once when they released on their own. The peep sight was put on my string wrong and I had to hunt for it every time I drew. Anyhow I'm back for good and really enjoying shooting my bow again.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Made the switch a few years ago and haven't looked back since. I so thoroughly enjoy every little aspect of trad that I can't even imagine picking up any other type of bow again.

It was a "burn the boats there is no turning back" situation when I made the switch. But what works for one doesn't mean it works for everyone.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©