3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Go figure?????  (Read 468 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Go figure?????
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  Next time stalk to about 17 yards and let him have it!!!!!!!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Always have a backup plan, just in case he charges. Best way to find out is approach downwind with a good set of nockulars. If that little varmit has an American Express card in his back pocket, you know darned well he's onto you.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
HEY!

This is a CASH critter - he ain't gonna do no STANKIN' chargin"....

Stick with pepper spray - that way he's already seasoned for the BBQ!

Tastes great!

:jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:    

Shoot straight,  Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
I got one around here that has set off two conibear 220s.  I can't even get close enough for a shot with the .22.  All the while he is making a heck of a mess under my shed.  It has a dirt floor and everytime I go in there I step into a new sink hole!!

Offline MarkE2006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 02:41:00 AM »
Good thing he didn't charge; could have been messy.  Make sure you don't get too close without a professional hunter carrying at least a .22 as back up.
'10 Howard Hill Wesley Special 70" 45@28; '09 Turkey Creek 62" 55@28; '09 Brush Country Wasp II 64" 54@28; '07 Turkey Creek Dbl Carbon 64" 56@28; '64 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 38@28; '62 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 50@28

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
Chad,
     A 160 conibear is my go to tool for taking care of these guys normally. It is amazing how quick they populate and the trick is to nail them before young are born.I thought I would make it a little more challenging this year and try to get it done with the bow.Tough animals.

Shot one last year quartering away at 15 yards,good carbon arrow with a shaving sharp Zwickey No-Mercy.He still made it to his den hole
arrow and all.
                Craig

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
Craig, I hear Oxford will have a fair amount of 7 yard shots this year- you will be ready-  added attraction will be me stalking from 7 to 3 yards doing the moon walk so the hog thinks I'm going the other way-

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
That's it Bill,I am there! After that fantastic demonstration on the Bionic Deer 2 years ago I need a refresher course.
                    Craig

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
So, today I am heading out to shoot a few arrows before work when I notice that Mr Whistlepig is waddling around on the cut path that I mow in the field beside my house.He is about 60 yards away.I quickly go down in the cellar and find my Hex-Pine,Magnus tipped,Whistlepig seeking arrow and the stalk begins.

A quick glance gives me the feeling that he has no idea I am in the yard. I quickly cross the yard to a very brushy fencerow,cross it on a deer path and proceed to sneak towards the chuck on the opposite side of the fencerow. As I approached
where I thought I saw him last I slowed up and really scanned with my eyes before going any further. There he was,sitting at his den,facing away from me with absolutely no cares. We are about 6 1/2 yards apart,I pick a spot of gray on his front quarter and just as I release he turns his head back towards me. If you could imagine a unicorn....the only thing that moved was his tail.
Straight up in the air,a few twirls,and it was over. The Dorado did well,and the old Magnus completely got through the skull. It is going to get bleached out.

Craig

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY TTTTTOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Pics Craig?

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline michbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 07:22:00 AM »
OUCH!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
That's why you got him this time....6 1/2 yards not 7...   :biglaugh:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
i have got a list of small game i wanna get...gotten several but still need ground hog,red and grey fox,and a yote..
if we are not suppose to eat animals,then why are they made of meat

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Congrats, Craig, on finding your 'range'. Man gotta know his limits --Diry Harry said so!   :thumbsup:    :D
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
You know,the smaller the animal,the harder it is to pick a spot. When you get that close to them,they are in the dead zone...........

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
craig, you just need to practice a little more at shade mountain bowmen on that 18" tall  blackbear 3-D target.......good "grundtsow" practice as the local mennonite put it.....shot OK at shadetoday with brennan, brian, and tim buehler...wish you could have been there amigo...talk to you later.....john
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
John,
     Glad you guys got to shoot them up,spent the day in Harrisburg/Boiling Springs area with my daughter and grand daughter.

Caught another Punxsatawney down by the woodpile on Friday.2lung at 2 yards,Wensel Woodsman.

Good Shooting,
                                 Craig

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
The metal monster strikes again!think how cool that would have been with that old Leon Stewart recurve you just sold!! Oh well...I'm just wasting breath with you...you've officially gone to the "dark side"....glad to see you're all boned up on those 2 yard shots anyway...apparently those woodsmen will kill the vaunted whistlepig anyway. By the way...does Brian need to make that bowrack out of some nice annodized aluminum if you win it??? Don't want it clashing with that Dorado...LOL...stay well buddy...John
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
Gotta love Redemption! Congrats!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
Congrats on connecting when offered a second chance. I live in a suburb and my neighbors are very accepting of my boys and I shooting, even encouraging us to take game. But, we don't make a practice of shooting at critters except in three cases. Crows that like to tear into garbage (only even close one time), chipmonks that set up residence around the foundation of the house, and one particular groundhog that continues to excavate under my neighbor's shed.

We've been after this one groundhog for 3 years and have only managed to get off 1 shot. It foiled me again today before I even got an arrow knocked. We've never seen it more than 10' away from the shed and there is no way to approach it undetected. I'm thinking about hanging a treestand and getting in an hour before daylight and wearing full camo.  :help:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©