3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me choose my first Traditional bow PLEASE!  (Read 387 times)

Offline AF_TT

• Trad Bowhunter
Help me choose my first Traditional bow PLEASE!
« on: May 01, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Ok gentlemen/Ladies,
I have always shot compound until the other day when I shot a friends Recurve (Bear ???) Now I am looking at trading my back up compound ( Hoyt Carbon Matrix) for a traditional bow. Here are some offers I have received:
Adcock ACS one Piece
Black Swan Hybrid one Piece
Morrison Dakota
Black Widow PLGA #62 @28"
A&H ACS CX 14" riser
SAluki longbow
big jim longbow
I appreciate any info and advice as this is my first traditional bow!
Morrison Dakota 62" 45@28
Black Widow LAG 64" 47@28

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me choose my first Traditional bow PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Choose one at weight you can handle. Most likely 62# is a bit much for your first bow. Look for something 40-50# to start off. Just my opinion!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
What Ron said! Make sure you can easily handle the weight. Will make shooting much more enjoyable, and could possible prevent some bad shooting habits from being formed as you learn to make the switch.
Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.
The journey is the destination.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
A good recomendation weight wise, is to get a trad bow thats right at 15# less than your used to with your compound....

Those are all really great bow's for a "1st" trad bow... In fact, several people have waited a long time to come up with the quality of bows you have been offered... Many are still waiting and saving towards something as nice.

My personal choice [if the draw wt fits ] would be the Dakota however Morrison bows are kind of specific as far as draw length in respect to bow length..  If you go that way be sure and check Bob's web site for the appropriate charts. Bottom line is, if your draw lenght is a full 28" you need to go at least 58" in bow lenght.

However the Adcock, Black Swan and Big Jim are also excellent bow's ... If the Draw weight's are within reason.

As too the 62# Widow, while being a top line bow, I too think the wt. is way high for a person just comming out of the "Darkside" into the "Light"   :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
What you think you will like and what looks pretty may not be what you think it will be. My advice is SHOOT as many bows as you can. Different bowyers, different styles and draw weights. Feel at the shot is the most important thing. You'll fall in love with it in your hand, not on the computer screen.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
This is not an endorsement. It is advice.
Sell your compound and then take a look at Gene's post in the classifieds. If I had the funds I'd purchase the bow.
( Shhhhh!! The longbow )
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Thanks' for the "Plug" Fred...That really is a sweet bow and would be very easy for a recurve guy to switch to.  :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
I second and third what others have said. 47-54# trad bow would be a very good start.
If you have a local archery club start talking to the trad guys and I bet there would be some one that would let you shoot one of their extra bows for awhile to see what you think. Shoot as many different bows as you can because the draw wgt, grip, and hand shock is going to be different for every bow you shoot.
You don't have to, but if you really want to become proficient with your trad bow, sell the wheels. Good luck on the search.
"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Offline AF_TT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
Guys I really appreciate the advice! I will look into the exact draw length and weight of the others. The only traditional bows available for me to try are bear around here. I shot my friends @ #45 and it was nice I could hit cans and bottles @ 25 yards. I shot a new bear Cheyanne and didn't like it as much @ #55.
Gene I will look at your post in the classifieds also!

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
There you have it. Find one in your weight range and style you want. It also helps if the bow is pleasing to you. Your more likely spend more time with it if looks and feels good.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline AF_TT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
Also is there a "break in" period on a recurve/longbow?
The first bear I shot was 14 years old and had some use on it. Could be that the new bear was shorter in length too I guess...

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
I'll echo what COLongbow said.
bolong

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
Another vote for anything less than 50#.  I wish I had started at around 40 instead of 50.  Just my opinion though.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »
The only break-in time would be shooting a new string in.  My experience is that most stings, whether B-50 dacron, dynaflight 97(D97), or S4 require a little shooting in until the string quits stretching.  You can check your brace height frequently until the string settles in; then check periodically.  OL Adcock has a really good tuning guide for traditional bows at   http://bowmaker.net/tuning.htm.

Welcome to the trad side!
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
colongbow pretty much told it like it is.after 30 years of a recurve to compound and back to trad bows ,Ive come to the realization that any body can by a package bow and shoot 50 cent pieces @ 60 yards,but real people match wits with animals with a stick and a sting.And for those that can do it with a longbow,thats the most admirable,or a self bow even.Any how,youll have more fun with trad archery than you will have ever had.There are lots of great bowyers and great people in traditional crowds.I am a huge fan of Martin/Damon Howatt bows and Bob Lees too.They will proform with the best of them,too.And most of these custom bowyers,like Big Jim ,every bow they make are truely works of art.Best of Luck,Chanumpa

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 01:18:00 AM »
Join us at the TN Traditional Archery Society Banquet in 3 weeks (May 22) at Fall Creek Falls State Park. It's about 2 hours or so from Nash-vegas.

Squirrel hunt, look at and shoot a bunch of different bows, hear Monty Browning talk to us about a few of his hunting adventures and meet 40-50 traditional archers scattered across the state. It's a no lose proposition....

PM me or head down to the TN section for more details.

David
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 02:38:00 AM »
You might consider the grips on those bows and pick one thats similar to what your used to on a compound.Mass weight of the bow might be a factor in initial comfort and accuracy.Compounds are pretty heavy in mass weight.So you might feel more comforable with one of those bows that has some heft to it.The ACS 3 piece is gonna have more mass weight than most of the other ones you listed.I agree,choose one with a comfortable starting pull wieght.You dont want to be overbowed.A 45 # bow with well matched arrows and a quality sharp broadhead is good medicine for whitetails.

Those are all quality bows and excellant trades to consider.I would expect a well made bow no matter which one you choose.

Offline AF_TT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 05:10:00 AM »
David Sapp, I now live in lower Alabama  :(  (Military) Thanks for the invite though!
I am thinking I should sell the matrix and invest in a bow(or two) built for me!

Offline PaperPuncher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
I'm with COLongbow; try to shoot as many as you can before making a choice.  Especially both longbow's and recurves.  Since you've tried and like a recurve try to get you hands on a longbow.
Unfortunately traditional archery is a very personable thing, the feel of the bow - holding, drawing, shooting - will make or break a decision to owne a particular bow.
I have yet to try a longbow that I like (sorry guys). I now own a Quinn Stallion and love it. I also like the Chek-Mate's, Bob Lee's, and Black Widows.  But others can tell you why they don't like them.
That's why I like websites like this and others, you can buy, sell and trade, (at less then full price)until hopefully you come across something that sticks (no pun intended).
Then...like the majority of us, you'll want more.
Welcome to Traditional archery AF_TT, I hope you'll love it as much as we do!
"It's like a finger pointing away to the moon...don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." Bruce Lee

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Just giving info, I had to go down from #70 compound to #45 recurve. Don't know why it was so drastic but after 4 years #50 is still about as far up as I can go.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©