3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me choose my first Traditional bow PLEASE!  (Read 388 times)

Offline AF_TT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me choose my first Traditional bow PLEASE!
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
I am thinking I will go with the morrison it's #45 @ 28" so should be perfect.
Morrison Dakota 62" 45@28
Black Widow LAG 64" 47@28

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
I see you didn't listen to my advice. But you are looking at a very nice bow. You kinda remind me of my kids. But I always allowed them to make the final decision.
You have my blessings, the Morrison is a fine bow.
Fred
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
You'll like the Morrison and that's a good weight. It's also an easy bow to trade later on.

Good luck
Sam

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 05:04:00 AM »
Good for you... Bob makes a wonderful bow and his are not only beautiful.. his craftsmanship and the performance he builds into his bow's are second to none.  But then again if you read below my name you'll see I'm a bit biased.

I went thru several [ 40+ bows ] before getting my first Morrison form Donald Rowan here on TG, a 62" 62# Morrison "Take Down"... Beautiful bow and the fastest Trad bow I have ever shot or owned. [ Do not get the idea you need 62# !! I have been shooting trad since 1962, and shoot that wt. regularly. ]

That 45# Dakota should work for you just fine. But, as I stated earlier on your post be sure the bow lenght is compatable with your draw length. :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline AF_TT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »
L. E.,
Thanks for the advice!
it's a 62" the morrison and I believe I am about to get my hands on a #47 64" black widow longbow.

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
Alot will depend on what you want to spend. I would not sell the compound yet. I still do alot of hunting with my Jennings compound. Last season was 50-50 with my Bob Lee and the compound. Hope fully this year will be 70% Bob Lee 30% compound. The more I practice the more I will wheen the compound out. I would say go to a trad archery show and shoot all kinds of bows and I'll bet the right one will jump out at you.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline AF_TT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
UPDATE:
I have a Black Widow LAG on the way #47 and will be picking up the Morrison Dakota #45 Friday evening. Now i must shoot these two and work it down to one. The LAG is 64" and my draw is 28 1/2 -3/4". So if I don't dig it I can sell it and pick up a 62" I suppose. Now I am working on arrows, the gentleman I am getting the morrison from has arrows for it he is giving me so I will see if they fit first.
As soon as I get these in I will post some pictures up.

Also I just registered for the Byron Ferguson clinic at the Howard Hill classic in AL June 4-6th. Figured why not it's $100.
I have heard he is into looking at the arrow for aiming (Gap?) but  when I was shooting my friends bow I just stared at the target like I was trying to move it and hit dead on with out any arrow relation. So I hope they don't attempt to change the young dogs tricks lol!

Offline AF_TT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
So I have both bows in hand now and have shot them for the day. Morrison is the most comfortable and accurate for me. WOW what a nice bow! The BW is a nice bow but doesn't connect with me like the Morrison I'd say he won a customer.
Does Blackhawk Vapor still make arrows in the wood grain? I can't find more..

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
Morrison is a super bow they shoot great and look even better,will be a good starter and a good trader if you ever want to move up in weight.  

MARK
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
I switched 2 1/2 years ago and what everyone is telling you about draw weight is correct. My suggestion is a 3 pc takedown from a reputable bowyer. I like Hummingbird bows. The reason for this in my opinion is you get used to the same riser and you are more consistant in your shooting. With the takedown you can start at a lower poundage and after you gain more confidence and proper form you can increase weight. LCH

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
I shoot bows from 43# to 60#...(the 60# is a long 68" longbow, all the rest are 60" recurves), and shoot all of them pretty well. that being said...I still love bows in the 45#-48# range.I can concentrate on my form best when shooting them and they perform all day long. I keep my kill shots to 20-22 yards and practice those and shorter distances all the time.Go with the mid to high 40's...these guys know what they are talking about...I'm glad I listened to them as well...john
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©