3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The ghillie worked....me....not so much!  (Read 427 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
The ghillie worked....me....not so much!
« on: May 01, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Sorry if I haven't got back to anyone today who may have called or sent a note.....Been runnin' since 4:00 this morn, so I'll try to keep this short...

This morning was supposed to be a blind hunt with Cade and I. But when I got home last night from trying to roost a bird, his mother and him had decided that Sunday would be better.

So now the choice...I had myself "ready" to hunt out of the blind first....then if things worked out, go ghillie.

After talking to Cade he convinced me to try the ghille/bow blind.  I was still getting things together at 10:00 last night. Not sure if I was "mentally ready", but I was going for it.

Went to a spot that's a long walk, so I wouldn't be hunting it with Cade.

Birds started gobbling a little late and not very much...till I called trying to sound like the first hen on the ground....then several birds started sounding off.

I gotta say I felt a little uncomfortable with out my blind around me, and not quite sure if this would work out.

I had Floyd, my strutting jake decoy, and a hen decoy in front of him. He was about 12 yds. away.

So about 5:45, her come the birds, I first see them at about 100yds. First 3-4 hens, then 3 jakes, then 2 gobblers. Same group of birds I'd watched walk right past where I was now set-up last weekend.

They start to kinda skirt around me, so I call and both gobblers exploded with gobbles!

They got about even with me, but up hill about 50yds. out of sight. I knew from there they'd see "Floyd".

First in was the three jakes, then hens and both big longbeards cruised right in to Floyd.

I was sitting on my stool, ghillie hat, ghillie glove,ghille bow blind...bottom limb resting on the ground.

I was constantly scanning all the birds to see when my chance might come, but with so many eyes...wow!

So when one of the big birds walked behind Floyd and was hidden for a second behind his fan at about 15yds., I slowly started to raise my bow, while scanning to see who was going to bust me.....

So far so good....so I slowly started to pull, and I pulled, and pulled, and pulled...just waiting for something to go wrong....

Next thing I knew I was at full draw and the arrow was gone!  Not a bird spooked, putted or anything.....I missed!

No excuses, I just plain missed...but I think I was so "worried" about something going wrong, I didn't do my part "right". I just never bared down and got serious about picking a spot and drilling him like I should have...rookie!        :knothead:      

But now I have the confidence to "know" how to get it done.

Dang, almost pulled it off on the first "ghille hunt"!

Here was the set-up...
•      

•      

Now imaging me sitting in that stool in front of that big old apple tree.  If you look very close you can see my ghillie'd up bow with bow blind standing up in my in the ground bow holder. What great camo! The set-up was about perfect.

After all this I'll be confident and ready for the next encounter.

On a very good note, Cade and I in the morning will be set-up within  100yds. of 4 big gobblers that I roosted tonight        :pray:      

Not sure if it's the "3 Stooges" and "Crossroads",  or "2 Thirds"-"Nacho"- "Clyde" and "Crossroads"....I'll be able to tell when they strutt into "Floyd" in the AM        :pray:        

Wish us luck fellas, I really want to "get this done" with Cade by my side        :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The ghillie worked....me....not so much!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Good luck!  It's amazing what you can get away with in a ghillie.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
Wow Curt!!!!  You should've known it would work just how it is supposed to.....it always does right..  :knothead:  

Sounds like alot of fun and your setup was just right.  :thumbsup:  

Go get 'em in the morning, hope you get a big'n.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
I would think that would have your heart pounding just a little! Good luck in the am with Cade!   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
That's alright Curt....you'll get it done..
I think one of those 4 you roosted tonight are in deep trouble in the morning..Good Luck
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Well it shows that it works. Should be good for deer also.

Better to take one with Cade calling anyhow.

Tim

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
Good luck in the morning. I had a similar experience last week. I was standing leaning against a tree with my leafy stuff on but NO "on-the-bow" blind. There wasn't even a hint at a breeze so I think my gobbler got a hint that something wasn't right and I think the hint was my broadhead jumping around right in rhythm with my heart beat...lol when nothing else was moving at all.

Now I have a blind on my bow if I can hold it still when he's less than 20 yds away..lol

Congratulations on a fun hunt!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
That's what makes natural setup hunting for those big toms so frustrating yet exciting. At least you know your ghille worked and your blind selection was on the money...and you wonder where all my gray hair comes from....Spring Turkey!   :saywhat:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
Atta Boy Curt! Now go get 'er done with Cade. Good luck in the morning!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
You got your thrill with the ghilli, and now it's time to close the deal with Cade.  My money's on it happening tomorrow  :thumbsup:  

I've been trying that ghilli thing and am really struggling yet.  Hard to imagine getting to full draw with all those birds around you  :eek:    You got the hard part done.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
Did the same thing with my first ever on the ground trad hunt at 9 yds on an old buck this season. Plain freakin missed. I was so sure I was gonna get busted I don't remember the anchor or pick a spot, just the red arrow fletching flying an inch over his right shoulder!
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »
I've always been a bit not too sure about the camo clothing. Being muted (in clothing colour) and downwind seemed enough. But this Ghillie stuff seems a different beast altogether. The pics I've seen have me thinking differently. And there was a thread about the different Ghillie suits. Scoring from the ground has seemed impossible before, but now, maybe....
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
Tom,
I became a believer by taking a ghuillie that was only partially done and hanging it over a small single panel of wire and sitting behind it on the edge of a field then letting a small herd of does walk up on me. I only got busted when one of them walked up and looked me straight in the face from about 2 feet...lol She was standing with her head on my side of the wire panel.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
Those ghilli suits are a lot of fun. I was wondering what you used for your bow blind. That sounds like it would be awesome on deer. Bob

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
That's to bad that you didn't connect Curt.  But it sounds like you were where you needed to be.  I hope Cade and you have some fun and I'm sure you will.  The beauty of the excitement in kids is amazing.  Good luck Curt.

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bob Stager:
Those ghilli suits are a lot of fun. I was wondering what you used for your bow blind. That sounds like it would be awesome on deer. Bob
Ditto on the bow blind. Wondering if you can post some pics of the setup.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Curt did a whole "How To" just a week or so ago. Here it is.

Ghillie "How To"
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Nice setup Curt, It will definitely work. Good luck in the a.m.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
I've been telling you guys that "Big Foot" hunting is not only a thrill a second but a productive way to thump birds! Are ya a believer now Curt, HA!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
Go get 'em......you can do this.....you have had lots of practice unlike me.....

Jer Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©