3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wyoming Antelope Hunt Question  (Read 230 times)

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
Wyoming Antelope Hunt Question
« on: May 02, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
Two of us are going to the Spearhead ranch in Wyoming in September for an antelope bowhunt. My buddy loves to fly fish.If we tag out early ( I can't imagine this happening!!!) we will have some free time as the hunt is five days. Any ideas about flyfishing opportunites? Guided fishing on the North Platte river are very expensive. Just wondering if anyone has done DIY fishing in the Casper area. Any info would be appreciated.   :confused:      :help:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wyoming Antelope Hunt Question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
The Platte around Casper has some very good fishing. The area near Government Bridge west of town, Lusby, and the stretch below Alcova Dam are all good and have public access. Another access point is just west of the "narrows", west of Casper. I have never fished it, but the area around the power plant near Glenrock is supposed to be good, and there have been habitat improvements on the river near Douglas. So, the short answer to your question is "Bring your fly rod!". Have fun.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
I've hunted antelope in the Casper area - west about 40 miles (units 70-71).  If there isn't too much available water and you are hunting waterholes you could very well tag out in 2-3 days. The same goes if you hunting irrigated alfalfa.  If you drive by the airport (west edge of Casper) you'll be amazed at the antelope right beside the higway.  HOwever, if there is plenty of water, no attractivie crops, and you are hunting after September 12th (after prime time for decoys), it could be tough hunting because of the extremely open country. Fence pinches are often the best way to go in those conditions. No fear though, if you are hunting with outfitters they will have it figured out.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
What Centaur said....you're sure to get some action on some chunky 'bows & browns.  A float trip on those stretches around Casper would be good if it's in the budget. If I were going to walk & wade, I'd go to the "mile", the stretch between Kortes dam and the inlet of Pathfinder reservior.  Have fun!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©