3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Idea for Economical Trail Target  (Read 564 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Need Idea for Economical Trail Target
« on: May 02, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Guys, I have the space on mine and my son's adjacent property (wooded hillside and creek bottom) for a 48 minute (yep, I timed it) walk, level and up and down -- great exercise for this 56-year old!  However, the walking bores me to death (strange pun I know). I love to shoot, every day in my basement or yard range. I can't simply stump shoot on this property because rocks are so prolofic and hard cedar stumps and logs will destroy my arrows.  I'd like to put out about 30-40 targets along this trail that I can leave out and shoot as I walk.  Has anyone figured out an economical way to make some targets for such a purpose? I'm thinking about targets 12"x12" - 24"x24" in size. There are ample trees and brush along the walk to hang a target close to the ground.   I'm thinking that some of you have skinned this cat!  I cna't stand the thought of paying $50 each or even $20 for 30-40 targets - heck I can put that cash towards my next recurve!  :archer2:

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Idea for Economical Trail Target
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
We used to have a trail set up like that with burlap sacks full of shrink wrap.  Got the sacks from Costco's coffee bean dept and the shrink wrap from K mart dumpster I think.

Worked good, just make sure you bring em in and recondion now and then so they don't end up coming apart and making a mess.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
Wingnut is on the right path,anything you can reuse is good.  Heck, the Muzzy shoot here in New York is one of the best and all they use is different size foam blocks. Even a bail of hay is good,just pick a spot in the center to shoot at,and it's biodegradeable. Keep your shots like hunting set ups and you'll have a ball. Don't save the money for a new recurve....get a longbow.....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
YOu know, I might be able to buy 30-40 bales of straw for a couple bucks apiece?  I could scatter these out along the walk. I suppose they will fall apart in a couple of years.  This is what I shot in the old days in the backyard before compounds starting shooting through them. The bale is real easy to simulate the body of a deer and shoot for the imaginary spot where the kill would be. I like the sack idea too if I can find enough quantity of the filler material.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
I've done both the burlap and the bales.

Burlap stuffed with shrinkwrap or walmart bags has worked much better for me. Rainy weather is bad news on the bales.

One modification I have made is I stuff the shrinkwrap/walmart bags into a large garbage bag before stuffing the whole thing in the burlap. It greatly delays the mess wingnut mentioned.

I suspend mine from t-posts.

Coffee bags have some nice designs for "vitals".

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
I have used hay bales wraped with pallet wrapping plastic.(one roll will last a lifetime) I wrap each bale separately and then wrap 2 the together, and then stand them up. last a long time that way. just wrap the top around the end,bottom direction. I like the t-post idea..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
I don't know how weather-proof it is but I use a feed sack stuffed with plastic wrap. You may be able to set these up in shady places to avoid sun damage? Mine are lasting well but I don't leave them outside either.

58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
I'd go for straw bales, when one wares out just bust it up, spread it around and replace it with another.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
I get the 4x4 foot square soy bean seed bags from a local seed salesman.  They are much tougher and longer lasting than the plastic weave targets that targets are made from. I stuff them with used silage plastic I also get free from farmers. If you have something that can drive around and carry a load, and like to use blunts, you could also build sand bunkers.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
Really cheap:  1) Use actual hay bales. As they get soft I shoot judos.  When they rot- spread them out and they decompose.  2) hang plastic milk jugs.  Judos work well. 3) Old carpet.  Cut it in 3-4' rolls.  Same size as many big game animal bodies- also no marking so you have to pick a spot. Hang it from limbs.  Blunts or judos works well.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
The plastic woven feed bags stuffed with plastic works well and will last a long time. I think that shrink wrap is probably the best but and plastic sheeting works well. Some of it is harder to pull the arrows out of than others.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
I have a dozen plastic feed sacks stuffed with plastic bags, etc. They are tied to saplings along a looped trail in the woods behind the house. I just twist the open end and wire it to the tree. They are out year 'round. If one gets a bit ragged I stuff the whole thing into a new bag. I rarely get a pass through with field points.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline boog21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Bowwild,

I've been doing "aerobic archery" for a little more than a year now.  Lost fifty pounds!  You're right, lots more fun than just walking, and a lot easier on arrows!  

I use 50 lb feed sacks stuffed with plastic.  I have 12 of them scattered across about 20 steep acres of woods.  So far, I've only had a few of them wear out.  When they start to wear out, I just carry a new feed sack along and stuff the contents of the old bag into into the new one.  I use zip ties to close the ends of the bags.  

The feed sacks are 40 cents each at the local feed store.  You can draw any target you want on the plastic feed sacks with a permanent marker.

Offline cohutta orange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
I use 40 lb dog food bags stuffed with plastic grocery bags. Very good ideas on here though. got me thinking...
Shoot straight and keep the heads keen

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
Straw bales... $2 or $3 per bale...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
This was what I was hoping for -- lots of economical ideas that are easy to implement. I might in fact use 3-4 of these ideas and see what works best for me. I'm definitely going to check out the local feed store to see what kinds of bags are available near me. I'll also price some straw.  I'm a little concerned about coming up with enough volume of plastic to stuff as many target bags as I want. I'm now wondering how straw packed in these bags would hold up?

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I don't think loose straw in the feed sacks will stop arrows for very long at all.

You might try going to Wal-Mart and I would bet they have a separate "trash" can that the employees put plastic stuff into only. As the can fills, they take it to the plastic baler to be compacted and sold for recycling. I'd bet that you could find a nice employee who would be willing to let you have a good supply of scrap plastic wrap. They only get paid pennies for a large amount of the stuff. Heck, you might even offer them a couple of bucks for their trouble and to cover the cost of a few feed sacks full of the scrap plastic.

Good luck to you.    :)    :archer2:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline aussieman8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
cool targets

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
1) Get some 2 liter bottles or milk jugs or whatever size you want

2)Fill with spray foam

3) Hang from trees or just sit it on the ground...suspended fromn trees will prevent pass throughs though so you wont have to search for arrows.

or you can use hay bales and shoot blunts into them.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
I use woven plastic feed bags free from the dairy farm up the road and shrink wrap free from beside the dumpster at the liquor store. Just wish I had a sewing machine to close the top. Needle and thread works though. Some of the shrink wrap bags have a poly twine from something that I use on two corners for hanging the bags. As above when the bag gets weak just cover with a new bag. I remove them for the winter only.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©