3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opening day in NY  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Opening day in NY
« on: May 01, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
My story kind of starts out on Sunday morning when i went to listen for birds. I didn't have far to go so i left about five AM on Sunday morning, i heard four gobblers and had been watching the long range weather forecast so i decided to set up my blind Sunday afternoon for Tuesday morning because they were calling for rain late Monday and Tuesday. I hate to set it up in the dark so i set it up ahead of time, i was set for today. I arrived early this morning i set up my decoys and made myself comfy and it was only 5:15. I sat back in my seat and poured a cup of coffee from my thermos, wow was it terrible i made instant and put too much in it   :scared:  About 5:30 i heard the first gobble he was quite a ways away but i thought no way am i moving now, a little later i heard a different one, each in opposite directions. I thought i had it made surely one of them will come in, i waited for it to get good and light then i called the one to my left answered back right away. A little while later he was on the ground and headed my way gobbling his head off, the next thin i heard was not good it sounded like a guy hooting on a juice can type owl hooter, using the classic who cooks for who cooks for you all. About five minuets later all hell breaks loose, five deer come running by like they were on fire after that i heard nothing. I sat there and called once and awhile but heard nothing, about 7:30 i heard a shotgun blast at the other end of the woods but i held tight. I thought to myself I'm just going to sit here and drink my crummy coffee and eat my snacks calling once in awhile. A few times i thought about leaving but i hung in there, at 11:30 for some reason i looked out the window on the side that i had to lean way over to see. Low and behold there stands a Jake at about 40 paces, he turns and starts to walk away, so i called real soft to him next thing you know he turns and starts my way. On his way he sees the decoys and his head turns red white and blue but he never makes a peep. Now i see there is more than one, three of them total. They are coming in perfect for me to get a shot, i had to kneel down  and get ready. I let the first one walk because the next one looks bigger, i draw my bow anchor they stop i release and watch my arrow fly just over his back, i was right in line were i wanted to be i picked a spot it just was about  three inches higher than i wanted. They putted and left i was glad i was on my knees because my legs were shaking some after it was all over. Even though they were jakes i think it was the most exciting moment i have ever experienced while turkey hunting. I had though if i had my gun it would have been over before it started but with my recurve it unfolded nicely and even though i missed it i still had a blast. I can't wait till Thursday that is my next day off.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opening day in NY
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
Sounds awesome....to get to full draw on a bird is pretty outstanding on its own. Get em next time!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
sounds like you had a ball man way to go    :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
By the way the birds were at 16 paces when i shot.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
That's why they call it huntin'  :thumbsup:  

Good for you. Get him next time!!

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
Awsome story,, That heighting of awarness of your shot and the rush following with bow and arrow is awsome. Good luck on your next hunt sounds like your doing great. JB
TGMM

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
James :  Sounds like a great day to me , turkeys are so cool.We should get together and hunt some time . I hunt some over in Nunda and Letchworth . Also hunt behind Stonybrook park and in Dalton. Good Luck :0)  Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline korn stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
Great hunt Stone, I had a bird gobbling on the roost this morning about 100 yards from my blind.... I tree yelped once to him, ... he answered and I shut up,..... I heard a hen yelp from that direction and that-was-that..... he never gobbled again.

Hunted till noon and never saw a bird..... but they are there..... Patience is the name of the game with turkeys!

Hang in there!
Doug

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
Sounds like a GREAT DAY Jim!!!!!

I drew a big Goose Egg today LOL,Never even heard a gobble    :confused:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline TENBEARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
Ah,the time spent in the feild pursuing the critters is what its all about,to connect with one is a added bounus! Ya will connect yet . Nice story stone knife.  :wavey:
keep the sun to your back and the wind in your face.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
Great Story James! Thanks for the good read... :) ...

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
Well....my day started at 5am and as I stood in my driveway at 5:45...I let out some loud crow calls. Immediately in the back 2 toms gobbled back.

I smiled, got in my truck and went to work...I'm off Wed/Thurs...so you know where I'll be tomorrow morning, just hope the rain holds off.
Good luck to all you bow benders!
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
Thanks for shaing that. Beats the heck out of workin!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline oneshot1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
Argh so close, but so far!!! they are an exciting critter to hunt for sure, Good luck on your next hunt. I have to work all week and had 2 birds gobbling next to the shop, was all I could do to go in the building.( I didnt even look toward the edge, if a saw birds I would have blown off work hehehe)I do have a 3 day week-end, so I'm going to hunt it hard for turkeys in the am and arrowheads in the after-noon. Hope to have a few nice hunts and smoke some turkey breast's and have a pocket full of arrowheads.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
JIm very nice. I was up at 4:30 and in the woods by 5:15, I was amazed at how light it was already. I set up my DB and was putiing out my dekes when I hear a gobble, and than two more. It sounded like to big birds about 100 yards away and a jake about 80 yards off. I got settled in and waited until 5:30 and let out a few yelps. I got an immediate response and heard 2 birds fly down. I did not call again until 6am. I got another gobble down along the creek about 50 yards away and that was it. I called every 10 minutes until 6:30 and than my wife called and said, "pack it in your gonna be late for work!!" I folded up and off I went in lessthan 5 minutes, that is why I love my DB. I had to be to work by 7am. I pulled out on to the toad and went 200 yards and there stand two big toms and a hen not 100 yards from where I was set up, they were right near the hedge row in the rabbit valley. I am gonna give it another go Thursday morning!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 08:16:00 AM »
Stone, the satisfaction is what its all about.Glad you had a good time.I was skunked but saw a lot of game.They stopped gobbling after 7:15 for me, theyve never done that where I was hunting before.Got the next 4 days off so Ill get after em again.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
Set up at 5:15 this morning and got in a little close to a big bird on the roost. He didn't pick me off, but had to hear me setting up. He was gobbling his fool head off. Double and triple gobbling. I was on a ridge top and he was in a tree about 40 yards away. I knew he would pitch down on the ridge and I was hoping he would come right in. I was snuggled up real good in some nice thick blackberry brush. I was giving him some soft yelps and purrs just to let him know I was ready for him. He pitched off the roost and landed on the ridge top not 35 yards away, might as well be 135. I gave a couple soft yelps, he gobbles and proceeds to walk down the hill in the opposite direction. He hurt my feelings, I was sounding all sexy and ready and he turned his back on me. I gave a little more excited yelps, with some cutting in and found out why he left me. There was a group of hens further down the ridge that I didn't see. They didn't like me competing with their man so gave me the business. I immediately pulled up and went in the opposite direction to a flat about 150 yards away. I set up and snuggled into some more briars, nothing like getting a butt full of stickers. After I set up I pulled out the raspy hen calls and proceeded to fire the hens up. It worked just like it was supposed to and I pulled the hens right in. Three came straight in and saw something they didn't like. They were putting and making a general nuisance of themselves. Fortunately, the big boy was occupied with a hen and didn't pay them any attention...  20 something #s, 10" beard, and 1 1/4" spurs.  He is a bona fide limbhanger. I have pictures! What a great morning before heading off to work!

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
Nice stories guys and congrats on the bird Terry.
I got one this am with (shhhhh) the bang stick.
Now for the rest of the season its bow all the way :0)  Best of luck :0)  Drew
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
Andy, if you had a great morning and enjoyed your time afield, then it doesn't matter what you were toting!  Congratulations on a successful hunt!

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
Thanks Terry :0)  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©