3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: B50 string  (Read 211 times)

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
B50 string
« on: May 03, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
This past weekend I went out to the club to shoot longer targets.I'm limited to about 20yds. in my yard. While ther anpther fellow showed up and we got to talking. He noticed that I had a B50 string on my kurve and said he had read that if the bow was made for FF strings that shooting anything else could cause damage. I told him I never heard of that and that I talked with the bowyer who said fine. I was wondering if anyone heard of such? He also added that when he bought his BW that he was told the same thing.  :archer:

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: B50 string
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
He has it backwards. B50 is good on any bow.

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
yep B50 is fine for any bow while FF has to have reinforced tips/nocks.
Richard

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Like the others rang in & said, I use B50 on nearly all my string making on my recurves (1) I've had this stuff for a long time & it works, (2) the lighter weight string can damage a bow if the tips aren't reinforced to handle the extra stress & (3) I only have 2 bows that can handle the newer stuff so why change for just a few extra FPS.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Jack Harrisson would void the warranty on his bows if you used anything other than an endless FF string.  There was also a thread here, not too long ago, claiming flemish strings caused limb twist.  It was locked, but I'm sure you can find it.  

So, is it possible the guy read that about dacron strings?  Yes, it is very possible--it's in Jack Harrison's warranty (or at least was, in the copy I read), and I think it's in his book as well.  Goes to show you can't believe everything you read.

Is it true that a dacron string can damage a bow made for FF strings, just because it's a dacron string?  Not at all.  That's as ridiculous as blaming a flemish string for a twisted limb.  In my opinion, of course.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
One of the coolest things about the "tribal knowledge" in traditional archery is all the truly odd facts and opinions you hear expressed with total conviction.
Later, when you think calmly about what you heard so-and-so say you think, "What the heck was he talking about?!?"

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
I started trad shooting when B50 was the only thing you used. The only decision was flemish or endless loop. There was no worry about foc,or efoc, and all the choices for type of string. If the arrow shot well thats what you used for everything. When I got back into archery 2 yrs. ago after being out for 6 yrs. the world had changed. Now we have so much more to chose from and I guess its worries me sometimes so much that I need to ask questions to make sure I'm still doing it right.  :banghead:   Thanks Guys!!  :archer:

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Better to ask and be sure.  The tricky part is finding out who you can trust for an accurate answer!

Just saw you are in Kingsport--did you get any of that monsoon?  How far are you from Collierville?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©