3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Terminal Performance Photos?  (Read 225 times)

Offline Divinecedar

• Trad Bowhunter
Terminal Performance Photos?
« on: May 03, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
Hey there! Does anyone have any terminal performance photos of broadheads (i.e. interior of hanging carcasses, etc)? I am just looking to see how certain setups work and examine the performance of traditional rigs. I am in the midst of an argument and attempting to explain why a 20 yard shot on medium game with a decent traditional rig is likely to outperform the same shot made with a .223 and varmint bullets.

Thanks!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Terminal Performance Photos?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
I seriously doubt you'll prove anything in that apples to oranges argument but here's a pic or two anyway.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Convinced me Charlie.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
What's "medium game"?

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
I'd assume smaller deer, antelope, ect. JMO. I consider larger deer, elk, moose, etc. to be large game.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
45# Bear Grizzly GT3555 with a four blade black diamond head 10 gpp total weight complete pass through, Helen Keller could have followed the blood trail   :thumbsup:  

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »

Hard to tell as the pic was taken back in the day with a polaroid.  This is a skinned deer and the outside of the ribcage bruised and jelled from the broadhead.  Something I have seen with a rifle but never like this with a broadhead.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
I wouldn't use a varmint bullet on anything larger than a coyote. Look at all that edible meat in Charlie's hand. A hollowpoint would have trashed that, if it got to it. Lightly constructed bullets, varmint bullets, are made to expand on contact with small, thin-skinned targets. A deer will have the bullet blow up too soon for meaningful penetration, especially at 20 yards.

Even turkeys are classified as big game in Virginia, and as such require a bullet of 23 cal or above. No .223, .222 or .220 Swifts for big game. Deservedly so, too. But this is not a discussion about bowhunting anymore, is it?

If someone is hardheadedly adamant about hunting "medium" game with lightly constructed bullets, (or *gack* fmj's) from a sub-caliber rifle, I have no reason to converse with them. Plenty other folks around. Never argue with a fool...

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Wowza Charlie... as we say in aussie.... that last pic is a belta!

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Must be one of those Avatar arrows.

Offline Divinecedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
I wouldn't use a varmint bullet on anything larger than a coyote. Look at all that edible meat in Charlie's hand. A hollowpoint would have trashed that, if it got to it. Lightly constructed bullets, varmint bullets, are made to expand on contact with small, thin-skinned targets. A deer will have the bullet blow up too soon for meaningful penetration, especially at 20 yards.

Even turkeys are classified as big game in Virginia, and as such require a bullet of 23 cal or above. No .223, .222 or .220 Swifts for big game. Deservedly so, too. But this is not a discussion about bowhunting anymore, is it?

If someone is hardheadedly adamant about hunting "medium" game with lightly constructed bullets, (or *gack* fmj's) from a sub-caliber rifle, I have no reason to converse with them. Plenty other folks around. Never argue with a fool...

Killdeer
Killdeer, that is EXACTLY, I mean EXACTLY what I was trying to tell him!

Thanks for the pictures everyone!

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
This is why dad was so open to me bowhunting  :) , he loves to eat the heart and liver.  So in the past if we would hit the heart with his trust old 30/30 it would most likely be no good, he shoots round nosed bullets too.  Hollow points are designed to put a varmint down quick.  I use hollow points with my 22lr., they are extremely devastating on groundhogs who, for the record, have skin almost as thick as the average whitetail.  I am talking complete pass through with exit holes the size of quarters.  These are the same bullets I use on squirrels and rabbits as well.  So if my bullet strays down the neck, the meat is toast.  Thank the lord that I was given somewhat of a superior shooting ability    :readit: .

So when I pick up a bow, even with a judo on small game the meat loss is minimal.  Which definitely helps with the hungry stomach.  So in that sense a  light bow set up would outperform a .223 at 20 yards any day.  Just show him that picture of Charlie's heart, that will dismiss any argument  :)
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »

....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
As described above... apples and oranges.  And. .  what does "out perform" mean?  Make something deader than the other?

Arrows kill in a different way than do most bullets.  Very slow moving solid lead round balls and the like are probably closest to an arrow but even those impart different energies.

Any well placed arrow will kill any game, large or small as dead as any bullet will.

ChuckC

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©