3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Equipment suggestions  (Read 548 times)

Offline J-Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Equipment suggestions
« on: May 01, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
I posted about a week ago, a thread about buying my first Recurve, and I have decided on the Martin Nirk Rebel.  I have a 40lb draw weight, and a 27 inch length.  

I was looking on 3 Rivers, and was overwhelmed by all the choices, I was thinking mabe a 1816 aluminum, or a carbon, cut to 28in.  I would probably do a 3 fletch with the 2.25in. feathers that they have a sale on, is that enough guidence? What weight points do I get? What do you think about this?

I was going to get a t-300 flipper arrow rest.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
The wind messed me up, what were you thinking?

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Equipment suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
Go ahead and get the proper spine carbon arrows.  They are extremely durable and will last a long time.  I've lost more than I have destroyed.  I don't know about cutting them that short.  Something like a Gold Tip 35/55 or Carbon Express 150 will probably work but you may need more length for them to spine properly.  If you plan to hunt with them make sure you have enough length that you don't get into your hand with a broadhead.

Offline Ravenclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
Three rivers has a good buy on aluminum game getter arrows.

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
Personally I prefer a longer feather, 4, 5, 5.5 inches. Will make it easier once you have a broadhead on.
Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.
The journey is the destination.

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
2.25 is to short.  I'd go with at least a 4" feather.  If you going with three feathers I'd recomend 5" or longer.
got arrows?

Offline J-Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
If they are tuned well, will 2.25 still be too short?, even with a 4-fletch? (they are just such a great deal!)
I looked at 3 Rivers for the Carbon Express and saw that they have the Terminator, and the Heritage, I looked on the Carbon Express site, and the Terminator looks better, and it costs less, but is its spine suitable?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
Ditto on what Bard said - 5" on the feathers will make it a lot easier to get them flying decent from the start.  Once you get a good idea of what works for arrow spine, and your form is perfect, etc, you might experiment with smaller fletches.
I would go with the carbons - they are more tolerant of differences in spine and work out of a wider range of draw lengths and bow weights.
A flipper rest might work real well for you, but isn't required.  You can just shoot it off the shelf if you like and be fine.
Keep things simple to start, take it step by step, and enjoy!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
Check out the Beman ICS Venture Carbons that 3-Rivers sells.  The price is right and the 500 series ought to spine right for your bow.  The guys at 3-Rivers have been experimenting with the Ventures and they really like them (ask to speak to Danny).

They also sell a tuning kit with an assortment of field points so you can find the one that works with your set-up.  The tuning kit can be found here    http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=10&s=124&p=0&i=CF5-T

Offline J-Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
Wow those Bemans are looking really good! Wouldn't it actually be cheaper for me to order several weight points, in dozens than to buy a test kit, then order a test kit, then order a set of points?  Also what diameter are thoose bemans?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©