3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Does Byron Ferguson String a Longbow ??  (Read 451 times)

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
How Does Byron Ferguson String a Longbow ??
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
I watched Byron Ferguson's DVD "Become the Arrow". Neat DVD. REad the book too. In the DVD, he strings his longbow by holding it upright, pushing back on the tip and zip-- stringing it right up. Seems so simple, and I'm sure his bow must be at least 60#. He said you don't need a stringer for a longbow, just for a recurve.

So how does he actually do this? Can anyone here do it and what's the method starting where do you anchor the bottom end of the bow (which you don't see in the DVD).

Thanks
sam

Re: How Does Byron Ferguson String a Longbow ??
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
You put the bottom tip of the bow against the inside of your foot. If you are right handed you would put the bottom tip against the inside of your right foot and grasp the bow at the top of the riser with your right hand. Then push outward closer to the top tip with your left hand and push the string up into the groove. I would not try this without haveing someone who is experienced showing you how to do it. You have to make sure the bottom string loop is in the string groove before you release tension. If it id not it will all come apart on you and you will have to start over. This is one of the reasons I prefer longbows over recurves. No stringer required.

Bisch

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
Bisch

Sounds like what I saw. So the back of the bow faces you? Which hand pushed the string into the groove? Right or left?

Understand being sure the lower limb is nocked.

Seems really easy once you get the knack.

thanks

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 01:01:00 AM »
Make sure the tip isn't on the ground unless you like boogered tips.  It is easy once you get the hang of it.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 01:40:00 AM »
I usually have a rubber tip protector on my longbows. It serves the dual purpose of protecting the tip should it contact the ground and keeping the string in the bottom string groove. It's how I always string my longbows. It's called the push-pull method. Ron LeClaire is another who uses it.

NEVER, EVER try it with a recurve. Not only could you twist a limb, but you also risk injury should the tip get away from you, as it very likely would. This is for longbows only. Always use a stringer for a recurve.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 03:10:00 AM »
It's called "push-pull".  I prefer the step-through method myself, for longbows.  Either one works, if done properly.

Be aware that you may void your warranty if you don't use a bow stringer.   I believe you'd have to use a vice and a monkey wrench to twist the limbs on most longbows, but I have heard that excuse (improper stringing) used to explain twisted limbs on a longbow in at least one instance.  Ironically, the owner of that bow used a bow stringer religiously.

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 05:51:00 AM »
I use to use the step-through method because that's how I was originally taught.  Then I was hounded by more experienced archers at every event I went to about how that causes twisted limbs.  They taught me the push-pull method, which applies straight, even pressure to both limbs (just like with a stringer), and I've been stringing my bows that way ever since.
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
I've used push pull, and I believe you are right about it being safe for the bow.  But there is a danger in that if you somehow lose control during the process, or the string slips out of the groove, that the top tip will come flying back at your face.  I've been taught to at least look away from the bow while stringing so that if something does go wrong you won't take a tip in the eye.  The risk may be slight, but I value my eyes.

I use a bow stringer on all bows 99% of the time.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline arrowslinger22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
I use the push/pull method.  Joe's right about the limb hitting you in the face though, cheekbone hurt for about a week, but at least there were no witnesses to give me crap about it.  Still use it on my self bows, but I'm more careful now.
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
I don't own a stringer. I have used the push pull method for centuries (well, at least for a lot of years). Never had a problem.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
I'm right handed and the only thing different that I do than what was described above is that I put the bottom of the bow on the instep of my left foot.  As whip said look away and make sure the top loop has fully engaged in the groove.  With the heal of your right hand on the top of the limb your able to manipulate your thumb and index finger on the loop to insure the string is set.  I'm always a little nervous when I let up, that being said i'm better off with a stringer.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Push pull to string.  Step thru to unstring for 50 + years.  Used a stringer once about 25 years ago.  It scared the hell out of me...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
I use the push pull method, even on recurves, and have no trouble  with it, up to #50. I just pull the riser towards me, hand slightly above center, and slowy slide the loop up into the grooves. I als use a limb tip protector which holds the string on the bottom tip.
samuel koger

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
Thanks to all. Time to get the bow and try. One more time. Back of the bow faces me, bottom tip with protector on the instep of left shoe or against the right instep. I'll have to see how the sets up. Grip the limb above the riser with the right hand. Pull toward me with the right hand while I push the tip out with the left hand and slide the string into the nock. Keep your face away from the limb. (already know about that one guys from using a stringer - ouch). Make sure string is nocked before letting up tension. Shoot a bunch of arrows.

Now how about the reverse? Same thing, just slide the string down?

Thanks again
sam

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
Push pull is really the way to go, it's how Howard Hill did it in all his films.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
One tip at at time just like the rest of us...  :thumbsup:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
There was a time that I could safely do this with any bow I owned, except for my Jerry Hill. The length of a heavy bow has as much to with as the weight.  My 92 pounder was 70" and my Jerry Hill was 79 pounds and 69", but with more back set.  I had a recurve slip once when I had a sweaty hand, it hit me right between the eyes. Be careful not to drive the tip into the ground when doing this and don't be afraid to have a firm grip on the bow handle. For those of us that find it easy need to remember that we probably started doing it with a lighter bow. It is a different set of muscles than the bow pullers and they need developing like anything else, before not using a bow loader is safe.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
You always risk injury when not using a stringer.
I hear all the above, and realize the chance of injury may seem very small.
It only takes one time to get an eye injury.  I speak from experience.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
Thanks for the caution. I'm pretty good at that.
As for 70# bows, I'm not even close to that issue.

Thanks again
sam

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
The ease of "push-pull" on a longbow is one of the reasons I shoot them vs a recurve.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©