3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bison gear help please  (Read 1099 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Bison gear help please
« on: May 01, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
Hey guys, which model of bison gear pack would you recomend for a guy who hunts whitetails 90% of the time?  I want to be able to carry extra wool clothing in it, but I'm not really wanting a huge pack like you would use for extended elk hunts.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Stew

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bison gear help please
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
The First trip explorer or the Lost River. The Outfitter with straps is great for whitetail but. You won't have the room for an extra set of clothes.

Offline matthewp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
The Lost river is perfect for whitetails.  If you need to carry more clothes or whatever, you have plenty of lash straps to strap them to.  The pack is awesome.  It is a great purchase, you won't be disappointed.
    Matt

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 12:49:00 AM »
I just sold my First Trip Explorer and had Angelo make me one of the larger Elk Hunter models.  The FTE and Lost River are great packs and should suit your needs as daypacks for deer hunting.  I needed more capacity since I often have my son along and like to stuff a few extra things in my pack for him.  I just received the Elk Hunter and it's perfect for my needs.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
I second the vote for the NEW Elk Hunter! If you ever want to take camera gear or extra cold weather gear to sit all day....And it will be big enough and padded enough to carry out all those Illinois shed antlers you pick up in the spring! :>)
Mike

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  I appreciate it.  Mike, I did not find too many sheds this year.  All I needed for that was a fanny pack!!  Hope you had a good shed hunting season.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
I found 59. Lots of walking. Ha!

Offline wood slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
Does anyone have pictures of the Elk Hunter pack? They are not shown on the Bison Gear site. I have been leaning toward the Lost River pack for two day bivy hunts with minimal gear. I usually return to my main camp every couple of day's to restock on food, change clothes and get a hot meal.

Offline Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
I've got a Lost River in Bucksuede Predator Green that I bought in January. I've alreay put it through some tough hog hunts, on one hunt we spent an hour and a half tracking in a downpour. The pack cloth absorbed very little water and what I had inside the main compartment was still dry. This is a great pack, worth every penny.

If I was going to bivy hunt I would probably go with the Elk Hunter.

chris
For some, hunting is a pleasant way to spend a fall afternoon, for others it is who they are.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
Herdbull has some pictures of his.  I'll try to take some of mine this weekend to post.  I loaded mine up with clothes and gear tonight and took a walk around the block.  It felt light as a feather compared to the same items stuffed in my old Cabelas Outfitter pack.  The weight's distributed against the lower back and pelvis - nice padding there to cushion the effect.  Very, very little pressure on your shoulders, so shooting with one on and fully loaded should not be a problem.  Great pack!
Gary Logsdon

Offline wood slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 12:27:00 AM »
Is the Elk Hunter a full sized pack like the Lemhi or Selway, or a fanny type pack?

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
FULL SIZED!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
If anybody has some availible I would like to see some pics of the Elk Hunter pack.

Thanks,
Tim
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wood slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
Thanks Gary, I think I will go with the Lost River. I am trying to minimize the gear I carry this year. When I go with a full sized pack I tend to load it with more gear than I really need on a bivy hunt. With the extra size and weight I make more noise and wear myself out quicker.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 07:21:00 AM »
I carry my first trip on almost every hunt that I could walk back to civilization...which is about 90% of the places I hunt.

If way back in, I'll take my Lemhi.

Very happy with the build quality, craftsmanship, and design...superb packs.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
The Elk Hunter's size and profile is somewhat misleading.  It has one large compartment (top load w/zippered "hatch" that can be filled from the bottom up with as little or as much gear as you care to stuff. IOW, the size of the pack is determined by what you place in it. Over this compartment is a cover/flap that has another compartment for smaller items. The main compartment has a pocket for a hydro bag.  The lower part of the pack has three outside pockets, 1 fairly large and 2 smaller ones.  I have never worn a pack with so much potential capacity that feels so light even when "test loaded". The pack's profile is narrow, so slipping through the branches is NO problem, plus I can wear a side quiver (like the Simmons Bushmaster) with mine without interference.  I'll try to attached a picture later of one loaded that Mikie Mitten sent me.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
The Elk hunters size and profile arent misleading at all cause I've never seen one to be mislead!  ;)   Lookin forward to it though, thanks Gary.
 I've got the Lost river and will be doing 1-3 nighters with it.  Cant imagine you would need more room for a bivy type minimalist hunt.  Especially with the expandable bag and all the outside lashing points.  Guesss you might need more room if you were going out for a few nights in really cold weather and needed the x-tra clothes/bigger bag etc.

Offline Chuck Mullaley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
ttt

I sure wish one of you fellows with the Elk Hunter would post a picture!!!!  :D
"I hate rude behavior in a man...I won't tolerate it."  Capt. Woodrow F. Call

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
Gary Logsdon