3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Straight grip vs. Locator  (Read 266 times)

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Straight grip vs. Locator
« on: May 04, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
I picked up another Howard Hill Wesley Special last month.  It sports a straight grip.  All of my other Hills (3) have locator grips.  I'm finding that when I shoot the straight grip bow 70# @28.  I'm getting blisters in the palm of my bow hand.  Locator's no such problem.  Any other's find the straight grip making blisters??  H

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Straight grip vs. Locator
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
If the grip is too big for your hand, or your turning your hand too far to the outside which folks tend to do with a large grip on a Hill, you may get blisters from it. Try placing the heel of the grip right in the life line of your palm and see if that helps.

Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
I have several Hills, most are striaght or dished.  Looking at the sweat stains, my palm really doesn't have that much contact.  How are you holding it?  Bill

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 02:28:00 AM »
H,
i find it the other way,  and as of eight years ago, will only order Hills and their ilk with straight grips ...
maybe you should send it too me then ... lol

Ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
I'm with Ben.   started out feeling that I had to have the locator grip and ordered a number of Hills from Craig that way, then got a used one with straight and found that looked and felt much more "basic bow" and didn't really shoot any different, so I've gone with that.  All my later Hills are straight and all 19 that I've built have been straight.  Don't even think about any other option any more.

Depth is another issue.  I found that many old Hills had extremely deep, sharp edged risers.  I've never figured that out, except maybe that Howard himself had very large hands and built his own bows (for himself) that way.   Anyway, i found them uncomfortable to impossible to shoot with my barely medium hands.  I finally trimmed one down on a rather battered old bow and found I liked it much better.  

At one point I owned two take down Hills and I really liked the rounded, full feeling of the take down sleeves in the riser, and this is the form I build into my bows now.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Online Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
I love the straight grip and mine Hill grips are about 5 and a half inches in circumfrence, which is smaller and I really like the feel of them.

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
I have had Hills with both straight and locator grips. I found the locator more uncomfortable than the straight. I now have Hill TD bows and prefer these more rounded straight grips like Dick indicated above.
Mike

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
I have a Hill style bow that Dick helped me build and it is a deep straight grip and I shoot between 30 and 60 arrows a day with and no blister or callous on my gripping hand (my string, ring finger gets sore but Terry Green believes I am torquing the string somehow). I have to admit I get a serious grip on the riser.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
Thanks folks.  Maybe I'm just tender - ha.  Or, the 70#s is just taking its toll.  Was thinking I would change it.  I think I'll give it a little longer and see if I grow into it.  I love the bow - accurate etc..  Will give her some time.  Thanks all  H

Offline jdemoya

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
A locator grip in a Hill bow is about one micron short of sacrilege. :-)

God bless,

José

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
FYI - I'm getting the blister at the base/web just below my thumb.  Not the palm.  H

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
Is your grip too small?  How big around is the grip?  Bill

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
locator grips are way better for my shooting, i tend to heel my bows. oh by the way howard hill did have huge hands!

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »
Like others I have had problems with locator grips. But then again I'm somewhat small caricature. In my old age 5'8" 175#.
I wouldn't classify my hands as dainty but they fit most medium to large gloves comfortably.
Of the 3 favorite bows on my all time favorite list, Jay St. Charles Yew and Osage T/D, GN Ghost and GN Bushbow, all of the above have had a straight grip.
Sometimes you just have to find what fits.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 06:49:00 AM »
Big hands and straight grip here - no blisters. YMMV

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
groundhunter...   here's another thought for you...

I make some of my bows without shelves, i.e. shoot off the top of your fist.   I learned to shoot that way when I was a kid and that was the way inexpensive bows came and I still enjoy it.   However, I do usually wear a bow hand (left hand for me) glove.  I go to a golf store and buy a fine leather golf glove. They sell single gloves, right or left, and in half sizes, so you can get a perfect fit.  These are very thin, very comfortable and give you a nice grip on a longbow.   In the case of my shelfless bows, they also protect the top of my delicate little hands, treated every day with hand lotion, from those nasty rough feathers...   8^)  

Seriously, all our hands are different, and your blisters may  just be an individual grip problem that could be solved just this easily.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Dick - thanks!  I usually hunt with a light glove on my bow hand.  I'm going to give that a try with "the beast"!  I think I just need to let my hand toughen up some.  I shoot every day and rotate the bows I shoot, average about 150 arrows a day total.  I may have to put "the beast" off a day or two longer so the hand recovers more.  I love the bow and it shoot awesome.  I shoot it as well as my other bows.  The grip is just so much different than the others its just taking some getting use to.  H

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©