3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: CX Heritage questions  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
CX Heritage questions
« on: January 08, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
Ok, after eight years I've run through my stash of 2117 arrows.  I'm thinking it's time to give carbons another try.

I'm looking at the Heritage line.  I think the 250's should be about right for my 56# longbow.  I draw 29", like my shafts cut to around 30", use D97 strings and plan to shoot 125-145 grain points.  Total arrow weight should be around 520, if I have added correctly.

Couple of questions, though.

Order 'em direct from CX?  Are there TradGang sponsors I should consider instead?  How are these things for nocks?  The last time I tried carbons, I got really sick of carrying around a pocket full of replacement nocks.  Things bounced out of the shaft every time the arrow touched anything harder than foam.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: CX Heritage questions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
Jeff,
I shoot the Heritage 250's out of my 60 lb longbow.  They are 29" with my 28" draw, 50 grain brass inserts, 145 grain points, and I think the total weight is around 550 so you are in the ball park.  I've broke one in the last 3 or 4 years that I have been shooting them when I center punched a tire sized rock that appear to be more of stump than a rock when I shot :0)   I have yet to break any nocks or have them pop out from shooting.  I have steel rods in my yard targets (which I hit more often than I like) and it doesn't bother them.

I don't know if you can by from CX direct, but I get mine from 3Rivers.  They also carry some Bohning signature nocks that fit them that I like using too that are a little longer than the factory nocks that come with them. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
I was looking at different suppliers and that Tom Redmond guy (Archery Experts) has the Heritage shafts the cheepest.  I think they were 69.00 a doz.  Dont remember the website.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
Jeff,

I finally tried the 250's and could not be happier.  They are far, far more durable than my 2018/2017s.

More importantly, they don't make the ting sound you get from aluminimu when walking through brush.

There is a metal nock insert available so you can use your "normal" nocks or you can glue in the factory nocks.

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
Hrm, JC must not be paying attention...
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Gitnadoix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
Outa my 56# long bow 29 1/2" arrows, 50 grain brass inserts, 175 grain points, the Heritage 150's are very very happy, the same with the 250's finds them a bit too stiff.

Offline Ken Babicky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
I'll add my $0.02 in. I just switched to 250's myself this year. I shoot a BW PL3, 54# @28, and draw a hair over 28.  Once I had them cut to 30", with 100gr. brass insert, 160gr. up front, bare shafted great for me.  After 3 5" fletching and arrow wrap, I was way over 600gr. I forget the exact weight but I want to say it was around 630gr.  Pretty hard hitting combination.  I did manage to break one this year, shooting into what I thought was a rotten stump and it ended up being more of a block of ice!  I just cut off the inch the broke up front where the adapter was and it's still used for stump shooting.

Ken

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
I would lean towards the 150"s for the point weight you want, I have the 250's worked up at 29.5" with 300 grains up front from a 59# longbow.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
Ok, I ordered a dozen 250's, cut them to 31" and it looks like they are going to be spot on with a 175 grain point.

Only thing is, the nocks are WAY too tight!  I can clip the arrow on the string and pull the string forward close to 2" before the nock lets go.  I don't want to go any further with tuning until I get this fixed, as that tight a nock is probably throwing everything off anyway.

Anyone used the aluminum nock adapters for these?  I have quite a few 5/16 classic nocks kicking around.  Do you glue the insert in?

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
Jeff did you add a weighted insert to your arrow, and about the sticky nocks try sanding the insides of the nocks with emory paper or something similar, NOT the bottom of the nock but just the sides, this will keep the weight down on the shaft end of the arrrow

Offline Stykbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
I shoot a Bob Lee sig. recurve 57 @ 28". I switched from goldtips to the CX 250's halfway thru deer season. In my opinion they are a lot more durable, and I have to add weight tubes to the goldtips to get the same weight as the 250's.
The 250's are the only way to go for me.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
No insert Howler.  With a 175 grain point, total weight should be around 525.  Close enough for my 56# longbow.

I could sand the nocks out, I suppose.  Problem with that is there is no real way to know those nocks are still true.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 01:24:00 PM »
Keystone Country Store (I believe it's keystonecountrystore.com) has Heritage shafts for $66.00.

If you don't like the CX nocks I believe you can replace them with Easton Super Nocks.  They use the same nocks on the CX Terminator Hunter 4560 which I shoot most of the time, and I generally swap them out for Super Nocks without any problem...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
Jeff, sorry....been a bit busy at work and just hit or miss on the board here.

Not much experience with the Heritage, lots with the Terminator Hunter. I would think the 45/60 would work just about perfect for you at your #/length, may have to bump up the point wt a bit but not sure as all my experience is with shorter yet heavier draws and the 60/75's. Sad thing is, they are taking them out of production. I guess they were just simply too good, too tough and they need to eliminate them from production to sell more.

I do know the heritage is a very tough shaft as well, though not quite the TH, but quite a few folks who have trouble breaking them at your poundage level.

I don't have problems with the nocks popping out unless I'm using the weight tube inserts. Then, I just use a drop of CA glue on both the insert tube and then on the nock and they stay put. I have had the nock pop out without weight tubes, but it was usually in a shaft that had been hammered pretty hard. It was very, very seldom without the weight tubes.

As for nocks, I prefer the Easton nocks, because I can open or close them at will to fit whatever string I prefer. I don't sand them, just tweak the ears on the nock when necessary. I've never had a nock fail this way, and get exactly the fit I want. But, you can do the same with the CE nocks, just be careful, their plastic is not quite as flexible.

Currently, I've got a few TH's that I'm saving, but am switching my #1 Morrison over to the Carbon Tech Rhino 60/85. Heavier than the TH's (now getting around 650 in my finished arrow instead of 600 with TH's), almost as tough (I don't think anyone will ever make a shaft that tough again) and actually getting as good as if not better flight than with the TH's. I buy them from Ken Thomas here on Tradgang, highly recommend both him and the Carbon Tech Rhinos.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »
Jeff, just a touch more info. All my bows are low-mid 50's at my 29" draw length.  I'm shooting 30" CX Terminator Hunters with 50 grain brass inserts and 125 grain points. Weight is just a touch under 530 grains.  I use both vanes & feathers.  

Cabelas is still carrying Terminator Hunter shafts, and you can find them on eBay as well.
I can shoot 29" shafts with target points so picked up about 4 dozen cheap from Walmart when they closed out the hunting stuff last year.  I need 30" when I'm shooting judos or broadheads..
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »
Jeff,

I use the aluminun nock insert and it works for me, and lots more nock options.

I have always felt a bit uncomfortable using the "adjustable" nocks, but then I usually screw up anything that is not bolted down.

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
Jeff,
I have used the aluminum nock adapter before.  I don't like gluing them in because you can't add weight tubes down the road if you want.  I do put a layer of super glue on the adapter, let it dry good, and put the adapters in then.  Increases the diameter and provides a good tension fit. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Just to illustrate how important proper fitting nocks are, the CX250 is now shooting like a dart cut to 30" BOP with a 125 grain point.

Adjusting the nock took a 31" arrow and 145 grain point from reading slightly stiff to reading very weak.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©