3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Double Bull blinds  (Read 1622 times)

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Double Bull blinds
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
Walt-it's not a budget issue with me. If I felt the DB was worth the money, I'd buy it. That being said,I've had good success with other blinds and don't see the DB as being better than the ones I have used at 2X the cost. I'm surprised they sell as many as they do.

BD
BCD

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
I had a regular model standard height, and sold it just to get the recurve model.  
I hit a turkey once, and as he was walking away I came up on my knees a little to try to get another arrow in him.  Shot two more times, missing badly on both.  After the excitement was over I noticed two "V" shaped tears in the roof of the blind.  Tip of the bow ripped them as I shot those two arrows. (Turkey walked off and died anyway, so second arrows didn't matter)
The standard height worked fine for me when I thought about things and did it right, but the recurve model gives me more room when things start to happen fast and I don't think everything through.
Stupid birds!  :wavey:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »
I'm not trying to hijack Stone Knives thread, but do have another question. Is the recurve better for someone 6'3" shooting a 66" longbow? Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
Mines on order i should have it next week. I went with the 360 Not the recurve model, like Shawn says i don't need the extra height. I was born low to the ground   :archer:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
the DB and the guys behind it are top-notch, they've been great to deal with both as a consumer and a dealer, definitely worth the price
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline Bugle1N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
I have used my matrix 360 for the first time this spring for turkey.  I shoot a 60" recurve w/ more than enough room.  It is AWESOME...

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
I use the Matrix recurve models shooting a 64" bow.  I'm 6'3".
Gary Logsdon

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2007, 01:03:00 AM »
OK, time to chime in.  I may disagree with some, I have a Matrix Recureve model with light rods.  I would not spend $500 to buy a another one.  Its the best don't get me wrong.  I just don't use it much.  I have a $75 dollar blind from Bass Pro, that I like just as well, and turkeys don't care either way.  I just spend $105 to have the double bull repaired just after one season.  Again don't get me wrong, when I sent it in I thought it was a lost cause.  ANYONE BUYING A DOUBLE BULL, MAKE SURE YOU PURCHASE THEIR NEW MOUSE SPRAY.  That is what got mine.  And it does not take them long.  In just a week, they had the entire bottom eaten.

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2007, 04:26:00 AM »
They outta have an open season on mice   :bigsmyl:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
I just received my DB and have not had a chance to try it yet.Hope it lives up to it's hype.
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline possumtrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I am with Tim. Had the Brickhouse and was disapointed with the quality and material. Probably will have my Matrix for years and would have went through several other blinds in the same period of time. Saving money in the long run.... John
possumtrot

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
BCD, I have hunted out of the same blind you mention and it cannot compare to the DB. Thre material is not even close and is noisy and flaps in a stiff wind. Also as was said above, call Ameristep or any other of the blind companies and see how quick ya get a replacement part. The DBs are worth their weight in gold as ya see 99% of the people on here will agree. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Seeza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
Tom/Harl
Did you go with the Matrix 360?

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »
Shawn- I respectfully completely disagree. I have had no problems with my ameristep and have used it for years. I feel the DB's are ridiculously overpriced. A friend of mine who hunts out of one (that won it at a turky banquet) completely agrees and has offered to sell his to me at a discounted price as he prefers others (ameristep and eastman specifically) as they are less bulky and easier to pack. Maybe the DB would appeal to me more if we kept it in one spot, but I tend to run and gun when hunting turkeys and the DB just isn't as efficient as the others we've used.I just can't justify $400 to shoot a turkey anyways as you don't need to spend that much to get an excellent blind (again much better IMO than the DB). The only thing better on the DB IMO is the camo pattern as i love the predator but the blind just doesn't appeal to me in any way. Guess that's why they make so many models as everyone has a different opinion-kinda like bows I guess as many will swear the black widow is the cadillac of bows, but IMO there are better bows for a lot less money. Not to nitpick, but if you're considering a DB you should check out the thread on the bowsite about many of the recent ones sold having different lengths of poles causing setup problems for their owners.

Good Hunting

BCD
BD

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
Well get a price from him and tell him i will take it at a deeply discounted price. Too each their own , but it seems as I said you are about the only one who thinks that! Shawn
Shawn

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
Well, I agree with BD. My Ameristep Bighouse works just fine. I use it only for turkeys. It's huge. I've had to put some Seam sealer here and there, but over all worth the money. When a hub did crack, Ameristep sent three "free" ones ! Is it the best blind made? No. But, for 4-5 days a year...works for me.

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
I have an Ameristep brickhouse, and a Double Bull Matrix. The DB is so much better, it's laughable. The fabric, the quiet window system,(Ameristep acually uses velcro on there windows  :knothead:  )the camo pattern, and TOP NOTCH service. My advice, don't waste a penny on the others(like i did)buy the one that was acually made with the hunter in mind.  :thumbsup:
Steve.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2007, 05:50:00 AM »
I like the stackhouse by ameristep that I bought because of the height. I cannot stand up and shoot in it; but my 72 inch longbow works in it. I sit in the left right corner of it and can shoot out of the left window and the front window. I used a fold up camp chair; but I have ordered a DB three legged folding chair for this season. I found that when an animal came in; that noise was still a factor; and that moving in the blind was a no-no.
  So; the chair perhaps will allow more movement and shot opprotunities.
  I got it cheap enough to buy 4 for the price of a DBM; but my decision was made more on the height of the blind; and my ability to shoot my longbow.
  As far as its camo color; or shinyness or other factors; I had the sneakiest of the sneaky bears fall for it; and once I left it over night and came back and could not find it; although; I had walked just past it; and it was in my range from the blind.
  I am 6-3 and I don't understand how a DB can allow me to draw. I have not tried one out; so its a question to me.
  I like the blind; even though; yes it has velcro in shooting holes; and is from what I have seen; some bit harder to put up than the matrix.
 But 90" tall: I do like the ability to leave a window a bit unzipped and keep and eye out; and being able to unzip the top when hunting in hot weather - antelope hunting.
  Mine is 60x60; and there certainly is no room for two people. But I like it.
   I have not seen the stackhouse for sale anywhere since though....   :campfire:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »
I really like my DB matrix recurve.  I have used other blinds in the past and owned a DB standard last year, but sold it to get the taller recurve model.  The height of the blind really depends how careful you are and how much you cant when shooting.  I shoot 64" longbows and can't get the clearance to shoot out ofthe standard models unless I cant and am careful and watch my tips when setting up for the shot.  I prefer to shoot with a more vertical bow and the last thing I want to be watching with a deer or turkey coming in, is my limb tips, so for me the recurve model was worth the extra weight and cost.  The only thing I didn't like is the carrying strap.  I bought a set of universal stand backpack strap and strapped them to the blind and carry it in the center of my back with the straps.  Much more comfortable on long walk-ins.  The other blinds that I used before DB, was shiny, noise, and brokedown in one season if left out in the weather.  If all you do is set a blind for one or two mornings a year to shoot  turkey, than you can get by with one of the cheaper brands, but if you are going to hunt other critters throughout the year, I think, it is money well spent.  I believe the old saying "you get what you pay for" is usually correct.  At least for me, when I have went the cheaper route, I have often been dissapointed.  Alot of the difference in the cost of a DB compared to the others, is in the material.  A comparison you can make in any sporting good store that carries them.

Offline beaglesandbucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
I've owned DB....and another name brand...(not gonna name it).

Will never own anything other than DB again.

DB is the standard others follow and try to imitate.

I too think the Recurve model is un-necessary.  I shoot 62" and 64" longbows with no problem....even with someone else in the blind with me.
When the journey becomes as valuable as the goal........go "traditional."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©