3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how early do you hang stands???? situation in mind  (Read 288 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
how early do you hang stands???? situation in mind
« on: May 05, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
i ask this with a situation in mind. last week i found a rub and scarpe line left by a BIG buck along a well used deer trail on the top of a ridge i hunt. knew right then that i wanted to hunt that area regardless if that buck was still alive.  you could see 2 years worth of old rubs and scrapes that i believe to be made by the same deer. well i got back up there today after a heavy rain yesterday and there they were in the mud, BIG BIG deer tracks following the same well used trail by the rubs and scrapes going in to a swamp. now usually i put my stands out early September when i can get a better feel for what the deer are doing in my area. however i am really thinking about building a blind and putting up a couple stands A.S.A.P going by the last couple years rubs/scrapes an active trail. i would about bet the house a buck will be there again this year! i am not worried what so ever about theft, ain't to many willing to walk up there or haul anything out. now what do ya think?
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how early do you hang stands???? situation in mind
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
Hang them before someone else hangs one.IMO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
My stands and shooting lanes are up and ready all year round... Front window, back window, spare bedroom window, front porch and back deck.  :p

... mike ...  ;)  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
I've been out this past week doing this exact thing... I have not hung any treestands but the treesteps are installed and brush trimmed.  I even started to "Wensel" the deer through this crazy thick honeysuckle.  I am funneling these deer early this year.  I am sure this will work. Close off/block trails and open trails that work best for your set up....!
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Never too early to build a ground blind. The deer will learn to disregard it, so long as it remains unoccupied through the summer. Be sneaky, so that people don't get the idea that this is actually a man-made blind... they like to sit in these. Then touch it up a couple of weeks before the season and surprise them on opening day.

Keep an eye out for sign. I mean human sign. Buggers show up ANYWHERE and will steal used Kleenex just because they can. If you have the kind of stands that you put a bracket in the tree and carry your stand in later, yeah. But don't leave your stands out there all summer. At worst, you will get ripped off, or (OW!) someone will hunt the place because your stand showed them the logic of the location. The feelings of violation, both of your property and your special place, and the deer, will be hard to swallow.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
I think early is good. What about the effect of weather on your stand? Things getting squeaky between now and the season. I usually oil/grease joints at the end of the season and then store the stands in the woodshed.
 Just remember that this years growth is yet to come and further trimming might be necessary. I like that idea, John, of funneling deer by closing off trails and getting them to use "your" trail. That might have helped me last season.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
I should have mentioned my "prep" is on private ground and even then I will not hang any stands until the middle of August..

Killie is correct never advertise a good deer hunting area...

The past two weeks I have built a couple small "dead fall" looking natural ground blinds already.  The deer are using these trails and will continue to do so. I wanted everything finished and to be only waiting on Sept. 15th to put the sneak on them.... LOL
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Killy,
     this area gets NO PRESSUE at all, no one but me and who i bring hunt up there, not worried at all of theft, nobody that dumb (but me ) to hike and hunt up there. on the bottom piece i leave my treestands up year round, no trouble. during bow season it seems like i am the only one at all on the whole mountain!!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
You know you won't b e alone this year......so does this mean I have to help. I'm good at ground blinds........   :goldtooth:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
Why not?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
This past weekend I was doing exactly what John was doing as well, IT WORKS!!!

Never too early for me on private ground. I usually have all stands hung and pre-trimmed by June and then do one final trimming in August. It sure beats the heck out of dealing with the heat and bugs.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Ken, I can find my way up there but my way out    :knothead: .  

I agree, killer area and I'll help you build some ground blinds and find stand locations.

When we found that place I knew it was something special. I think some memories will be made this fall in one way or another up there on "YOUR" mountain.

I would like to do a camp hunt there this fall or at worst stay at that nice unoccupied house for several days.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
Curt,
    i had asked the  question just to see what othes think, i know many do not hang stands untill just before season in case movement changes. was curious to see what people thought.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Charlie,
     yeah bro got a couple places in mind to camp or use the house. DEFINITLY think between me, you, Chris an Ron we can get a good shot at this guy!

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
If you're going to hang stands early, make sure they're of the chain-in variety. Not only does it allow you to put a padlock on the chain, but more importantly, the chain won't weather or get chewed like a belt can. I had one belt get chewed right down to the buckle. Better to use a chain and not have to worry about it. Hunt safe, and we'll look forward to the "hero pictures".

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by adkmountainken:
Curt,
    i had asked the  question just to see what othes think, i know many do not hang stands untill just before season in case movement changes. was curious to see what people thought.
In regard to the movement changes:

Once I stopped trying to hunt where I thought they would move and started hunting where terrain dictated they would move, my success improved dramatically. If the terrain does not have any viable funnels make some! Hinge cut trees and stacked dead limbs on trails work great. Due to this I no longer worry about whether action around my stands will change closer to season.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
I was double checking trails and old rubs...marking them all in GPS.  Put out a couple cameras to confirm activity....going out one more time to just sit and watch...three nights in row at three different spots with binoculars.

Likely hang stands in June....maybe build ground blind in swamp area as well.

good luck everyone

keep em sharp,

ron herman
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
What am I??? Chopped liver!!!!!  :bigsmyl:

Hmmmmm, Is it anywhere near "My" Rock???   ;)

Or maybe up behind "Black Squirrel Heaven"???
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
Hang it on the day you want to hunt. I hate to educate deer or other hunters. You could trim now if you need to, but then stay out of there until you are ready to shoot that deer. A mature deer knows whats up.  Every time you go in you are leaving scent and educating the deer.  Virtually every mature deer I have encountered or shot has been first time on stand.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
I'd hang it a.s.a.p.  I like to hang mine in March. I HATE hanging stands in late summer when it is hot, and the trees are in full foliage.  Still I do it when I have to.  This year, I'll be hunting a new area recently aquired.  I'm going turkey hunting this weekend for 3 days.  We can only hunt till 1 here in Illinois so during the rest of the time..I'll be hanging treestands!  Good luck with him! Can't wait to see the pics next November!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©